Home

Coyote market

Posted By: red mt

Coyote market - 01/16/21 05:31 PM

Well this week end we are going to get a bigger picture on the coyote market and see if all this nay saying was about. I got my own opinion but we will see ,,,I think it's a bit better than some have let on myself.
But then again I'm not buying them.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Coyote market - 01/16/21 06:49 PM

It sure will be interesting to see the results of the 2 sales happening today. Idaho and North Dakota. Prime coyote country for both sales.

I personally think prices will be off somewhat from last years prices. Not sure how much but if it is as bad as some folks are saying, there will be a bunch of unhappy trappers come Sunday evening.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Coyote market - 01/16/21 07:04 PM

I’m think it’s better than anticipated. The last month commodities have been on fire!! Corn, wheat, medal etc... some up over $2 dollars. I’m hoping that that carries over to all commodities.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Coyote market - 01/16/21 08:26 PM

Depends on how many private buyers show up, usually they come to buy when the fur prices tank cause its a good time for them to buy.

Don't sound good to fur harvesters but it's some one buying still, market can change on short notice most of the time however if the political smoke clears, doubt anything else will move the prices !
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Coyote market - 01/16/21 08:51 PM

Comparing this years results with last years coyote prices at these two January sales in North Dakota and Idaho, will not give a true indication of where the coyote market is headed this season. Last year there was tremendous "irrational exuberance" at both of these kick off, beginning of the season sales. The market in the country headed down pretty hard from this point for the remainder of last season. I think these sales will be more inline with the real market this year and the coyote market will not nose dive after these two sales as seemed to happen last year. Let's see what the next couple of days brings. North Dakota last year averaged $130.08 with a $205 top on a big bunch of nice dogs, Idaho averaged $89.67 with a $267.37 top coyote.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Coyote market - 01/16/21 08:55 PM

Tick-toc-tick -tock
the mouse ran up the clock

that's my prediction.
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: Coyote market - 01/16/21 10:11 PM

Not looking great in ND. From what I saw on another thread.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 12:49 AM

I’m thinking we are seeing CYA buying better to buy low then go out broke, I hope I’m wrong but what’s the chance of that. LOL laugh

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 01:03 AM

Well it started out at 20 to30% off and at this point by the sounds of it's like tring to catch a falling knife. sick
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 01:38 AM

Sold mine today, 25% less than last year
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 01:44 AM

More like 50% off here he said they would of been worth twice what he was paying for them last year, then he complained about a scab on the tip of the tail I knew things had gone South. Porcupine $5 solid market! LOL
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
More like 50% off here he said they would of been worth twice what he was paying for them last year, then he complained about a scab on the tip of the tail I knew things had gone South. Porcupine $5 solid market! LOL

Lol that would be bad.
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 02:24 AM

Here were my notes from the sale. Each line is a lot. All numbers are dollars. All no sales are annotated as such with the no sale price. This was only the first about 80 lots, though I missed several during conversation. Some of these lots had 20 and some had 200+.

Unless specified each line is coyote
NO SALE 80
NO SALE 50
No sale 50
     Fox 15
     Coon 8
     FOX 12
    Coon 6
    Badger 20
    Beaver 11
Fox 11
Rats 3
NO SALE 85
NO SALE 55
NO SALE 60
FOX NO SALE 10
FOX 5
Rats 3
MOOSE ANTLER 22lbs 150
FOX 11
Beaver 7.5
Coon 5
Badger 5
Deer antler box 5 dollars NO SALE
BOBCAT NO Sale 105
Fox 7.5
1lb 7.7 OZ Castor $100
NO Sale 75
FOX 7.5 No Sale
RATS 2
BADGER 8
Fox 7.5
ERMINE 1.5
ERMINE 1.5
Red Fox NO SaLe 5
FOX 5.5
BADGER 44.99
BOBCAT 150
1 lbs 3.3 Castor 80
CASTOR 5lb 1.2 oz 350
9.4 OZ castor 30
RATS 3
Coon 4
FOX 9
COON 5

Towards the end. 2 carcass coyote 25
Green skinned coyote $25
Posted By: MJM

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 03:31 AM

We had 3000+ coyotes on the sale. 8 buyers. I just got home after loading out buyers and sweeping the floor. First I want to say thanks to all the buyers and people that helped with the sale. Every person on the board ends up spending $150 plus, to be there to put on the sale for the association. So if you are there and can or want to help please do.
We had 287coyotes sell for a $90 average. They were split in three uneven trapper lots. One lot only had 10. We had some 70's and 80's and I would guess the sale average was $60-$65. That is a guess. My mind is fried and I will not try to add all the lots and figure a true average tonight. It is a guess.
I feel we had another great sale and would not bet the market will come up on coyotes between now and the spring sale.
Again, Thanks to the help and the buyers for coming and buying our fur. I hope to see you all in March and a few more. Thanks to all the hunters,trappers and snare men for supporting us and bringing fur to the sale.
I was told a lot of the "No sale" fur sold after the sale. We allow that as long as we collect the commission.

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 03:43 AM

Thanks Mark
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
We had 3000+ coyotes on the sale. 8 buyers. I just got home after loading out buyers and sweeping the floor. First I want to say thanks to all the buyers and people that helped with the sale. Every person on the board ends up spending $150 plus, to be there to put on the sale for the association. So if you are there and can or want to help please do.
We had 287coyotes sell for a $90 average. They were split in three uneven trapper lots. One lot only had 10. We had some 70's and 80's and I would guess the sale average was $60-$65. That is a guess. My mind is fried and I will not try to add all the lots and figure a true average tonight. It is a guess.
I feel we had another great sale and would not bet the market will come up on coyotes between now and the spring sale.
Again, Thanks to the help and the buyers for coming and buying our fur. I hope to see you all in March and a few more. Thanks to all the hunters,trappers and snare men for supporting us and bringing fur to the sale.
I was told a lot of the "No sale" fur sold after the sale. We allow that as long as we collect the commission.

Sounds good
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 05:38 PM

About $7 a pound for moose antler. Was that for white?
Posted By: yotegtr

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
About $7 a pound for moose antler. Was that for white?

That was for small brown sheds.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 07:31 PM

That selling after the no sale is a nice feature for the buyers and the sellers and the auction who still get their commission. Much like PT sales at a big auction yet we have read many posts where harvesters were not happy with that option, yet it seems to be practiced by many when offered the opportunity. Nice to be able to turn a bid down and watch several other lots bid on to help one make up their mind if their bid was acceptable to them.

Bryce

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
That selling after the no sale is a nice feature for the buyers and the sellers and the auction who still get their commission. Much like PT sales at a big auction yet we have read many posts where harvesters were not happy with that option, yet it seems to be practiced by many when offered the opportunity. Nice to be able to turn a bid down and watch several other lots bid on to help one make up their mind if their bid was acceptable to them.

Bryce

I was thinking the same thing. Otherwise if your lot is on the front end it's tough to gauge things.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 08:06 PM

Does North Dakota charge a minimum price percentage??

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 08:15 PM

4% of Sale Price and 2% of No Sales. We put the sale on for the members. It is not really done as a money maker. We have to make enough to cover expenses. Building rent, auctioneer, We had food and water for the workers and buyers plus a few other odds and ends.

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
4% of Sale Price and 2% of No Sales. We put the sale on for the members. It is not really done as a money maker. We have to make enough to cover expenses. Building rent, auctioneer, We had food and water for the workers and buyers plus a few other odds and ends.

No money for the Assn. to eventually defend trapping in North Dakota?

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 08:36 PM

It's a good deal for the members .
Glad too see it myself , but also defending trapping anywhere is not cheap .

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer

We made some money, but that is not why we put on the sale. This is a association sale for members, not a sale for profit. It is a way of giving back to the members and gaining members. We may loose some if prices drop, but that is normal. We could double the commission and not be out of line. How much should a Association have rat holed away?
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 11:51 PM

Id figure a couple of million for starter's! Understand that isn't going to happen but to put up a fight that is needed that would be a minimum amount. Lawyer's are expensive, especially when they think you 'have to have them'.

Re: Coyote market - 01/17/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by wy.wolfer

We made some money, but that is not why we put on the sale. This is a association sale for members, not a sale for profit. It is a way of giving back to the members and gaining members. We may loose some if prices drop, but that is normal. We could double the commission and not be out of line. How much should a Association have rat holed away?

$250,000.00 to $500.000.00 would not be to much. How many Coastal types do you have moving to Idaho? If not many you're probably in good shape with the lower number.
Posted By: Idahotrapguy

Re: Coyote market - 01/18/21 05:17 AM

My lot of coyotes was more than half of last January sale. Still a market but it’s toigh
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Coyote market - 01/18/21 03:11 PM

Thank you guys for doing a great job on your sale in North Dakota. I enjoyed my time there and plan to come back again

Re: Coyote market - 01/18/21 03:34 PM

Imo you buyer that beat the roads deserve a pat on the back for all the running you guys do , state assoc. Provide a high service to trappers should get big thank you for serving your member's faithfully and providing a place for buyers come and look at big amount of fur in one place.
A BIG PAT ON THE BACK

Re: Coyote market - 01/18/21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Starvalleytrappe
Thank you guys for doing a great job on your sale in North Dakota. I enjoyed my time there and plan to come back again

Thanks for coming and helping making the sale a success. If you have any ideas on what we can do to improve what we had going on, please fire me a PM. 19-20 March is the next one. There will be coyotes that were take the same time as the ones on the last sale. It won't just be Jan on coyotes. It was one of the things we had members ask for, due to not having fur put up yet.

Re: Coyote market - 01/18/21 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by Starvalleytrappe

Thanks for coming and helping making the sale a success. If you have any ideas on what we can do to improve what we had going on, please fire me a PM. 19-20 March is the next one. There will be coyotes that were take the same time as the ones on the last sale. It won't just be Jan on coyotes. It was one of the things we had members ask for, due to not having fur put up yet.

I thought things ran very smoothly as a seller. From my vantage point it was well organized.

Re: Coyote market - 01/18/21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nd native
I thought things ran very smoothly as a seller. From my vantage point it was well organized.

Thanks for the in put. we have another conference call on Sunday, I will pass that on. It was starting to get close to full in there> was glad it slacked off when it did.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums