Home

IsTrapping considered hunting?

Posted By: Trapper Don

IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:21 PM

In Massachusetts we have a law against hunter harassment. Many of us have used it with good success. (Surprise I know) . A question came up to one game warden (EPO) about trappers be harrassed. He said " the law does not apply to trapping, because trapping is not hunting".
As a board member of Mass.Trappers, I am looking to see if this is the case anywhere else. We are also checking to see if thats was one officers opinion.
Without the political BS of Masshole, any thoughts?
Thank you
Don LaFountain
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:23 PM

Can’t speak for Mass. but, in Delaware trapping is considered hunting.

And harassing someone who is lawfully hunting or trapping is against the law.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:29 PM

In Idaho, it says interference with hunting, fishing, trapping and wildlife control.
Posted By: hippie

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:32 PM

I guess it is here too on the harassment angle. Its illegal to harass hunters or trappers.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:35 PM

In Ga trapping is in same category as hunting. It is a method of taking or attempting to take wildlife. Licenses for trapping are considered "commercial". Licenses for hunting are "recreational." But other than that they are same.
Posted By: huntrap247

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:40 PM

I would say he is dead wrong by my interpretation of this:

Harrassement law
Posted By: white17

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:42 PM

In Alaska the law applies to hunting, trapping, fishing and viewing of fish and game.
Posted By: huntrap247

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:43 PM

Section 5C.
No person shall obstruct, interfere with or otherwise prevent the lawful taking of fish or wildlife by another at the locale where such activity is taking place. It shall be a violation of this section for a person to intentionally (1) drive or disturb wildlife or fish for the purpose of interrupting a lawful taking; (2) block, follow, impede or otherwise harass another who is engaged in the lawful taking of fish or wildlife; (3) use natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimulus to effect wildlife in order to hinder or prevent such taking; (4) erect barriers with the intent to deny ingress or egress to areas where the lawful taking of wildlife may occur; (5) interject himself into the line of fire; (6) effect the condition or placement of personal or public property intended for use in the taking of wildlife; or (7) enter or remain upon public lands, or upon private lands without the permission of the owner or his agent, with intent to violate this section.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:44 PM

South Dakota trapping regs are within the annual hunting guide. I think harassment to anyone hunting, trapping, and fishing. If its not defiend that way in MA, then I would try to get a state legislature to get the law changed.Good luck!!
Posted By: Savell

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:44 PM

... Texas says “hunting and catching “ I would think catching would include trapping

... although I’d handle some one screwing with me myself... and they would not like it

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:45 PM

Listed as harassment here as well when fooling around with traps, I doubt any one here would not think trapping is not hunting any different than using an ATV or Horses to go elk hunting or lion hunting with hounds !

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Don
In Massachusetts we have a law against hunter harassment. Many of us have used it with good success. (Surprise I know) . A question came up to one game warden (EPO) about trappers be harrassed. He said " the law does not apply to trapping, because trapping is not hunting".
As a board member of Mass.Trappers, I am looking to see if this is the case anywhere else. We are also checking to see if thats was one officers opinion.
Without the political BS of Masshole, any thoughts?
Thank you
Don LaFountain

I would say your game warden is wrong.

Under R.S. 56:648.1, no person may engage in such activities as interfering with the lawful taking of wildlife, disturbing a wild animal or otherwise affecting its behavior with the intent to prevent or hinder lawful taking, disturb any hunter, trapper, or fisherman who is engaged in lawful taking, or enter or remain ...

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/...ies-and-game-and-other-natural-resources

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 08:45 PM

Great info. I did some research after first couple replys. The wording in the law is just what is being said here. So yes the EPO does know the law. Thinking MTA should print it on laminated cards for our members to carry. Great imput.
Thank you all
Din

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 08:51 PM

Maybe I misread your post. I thought your warden said the law did NOT apply to trappers. The way I read the statute, it clearly does apply to trappers

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Maybe I misread your post. I thought your warden said the law did NOT apply to trappers. The way I read the statute, it clearly does apply to trappers

You read it correctly. He said the law didn't apply to trapping. He was wrong. Good info here.
Thanks Don

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 09:06 PM

Thought so. Thanks. You post above says that the warden ..."does know the law" Maybe you meant to write 'does NOT know the law'

I think you're right. Your association should print that up and make it available to all who need it
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 09:07 PM

No, unless you like stretching the law which has become acceptable
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 09:24 PM

Bring the issue up to a sympathetic member of your Fisheries and Wildlife Board. Does this mean you can harass fishermen without consequences since they are not hunters? The statute states- "Harassing another in the lawful taking of fish or wildlife". Clearly you were just put off. It might be good to make a big deal about this. Adopt the same measures the anti's take, squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: IsTrapping considered hunting? - 01/24/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Thought so. Thanks. You post above says that the warden ..."does know the law" Maybe you meant to write 'does NOT know the law'

I think you're right. Your association should print that up and make it available to all who need it

Exactly
© 2024 Trapperman Forums