Home

How many of you

Posted By: larrywaugh

How many of you - 03/03/21 07:18 PM

Who would let a game warden search your premises without a warrant. In kansas our regulations used to state it was illegal to deny law enforcement access to anyplace that could be used to store wildlife. The regulations do not say that now. I dont know if they changed the law or just took that out of the regulations. What say you?
Posted By: CTobias

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 07:22 PM

In Alaska our game wardens are State Troopers. We call them brown shirts, because they wear a brown shirt to identify they are a wildlife trooper. Pretty sure they don’t need a warrant to check suspected wildlife violations. I’ve never had a run in with them though, except in passing while caribou hunting.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 07:22 PM

If they had the right to do it I would comply but If not they can pound sand.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 07:26 PM

I'd politely decline.
Posted By: 160user

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 07:27 PM

I would allow it. I have nothing to hide and knowing they can take a peek anytime curbs the urge to bend any rules. True story, I was at a winter MTA meeting one time and my CO called me to see if I was around and he wanted to borrow a wolf stretcher. I told him I was out of town but told him where the hidden key was and to help himself. He was shocked and I told him he was welcome to look ANYTIME he wanted. I have a great relationship with my CO's.
Posted By: EdP

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 07:29 PM

No search without a warrant by anyone.

The way I understand it, to get a warrant LE must establish probable cause AND specify that for which they are searching. Anything found during the search that is outside the bounds of the warrant is inadmissable as evidence. However, if you grant permission for a search, anything found is fair game. I have nothing I know to be illegal but I want the legal protection a warrant would afford me. In addition, I never expect LE to have probable cause to search my property and what is here is my buisness and no one elses.

In reading 160user's reply, I would have no problem doing something similar if I knew the person. Granting access and permission to borrow something while I am away is not granting permission to search.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 07:31 PM

Need to have reason here.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
If they had the right to do it I would comply but If not they can pound sand.

you know that in WI they do not need a warrant to search your boat , camper , truck , home or freezer.

I believe that by participating in a licensed activity you basically agree in the fine print to this.

why it is important to call in all those road kill deer you pick up.

Posted By: OKforester

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 07:47 PM

I gave permission one time to a USFS law enforcement. Forgot about the magazine loaded shotgun behind the seat. Paid a fine. I don’t give permission any more. I have been asked by local game warden and he couldn’t tell me what his probable cause was or exactly what he was looking for so my answer was no. I have professional relationship with our game wardens, we are respectful of each other. Denying request to search is your right, nothing to be ashamed of and certainly not an admission of guilt.

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 08:17 PM

How is it that a warden can enter your home when a cop can't?

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by larrywaugh

They can't
Posted By: k snow

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

They can't

In Wisconsin they can.

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 08:24 PM

Without a warrant? Above
Posted By: k snow

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 08:26 PM

Without a warrant? Above

Correct. They can trespass also. They have a ton of power here in WI.

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Without a warrant? Above

That's not good.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Without a warrant? Above

You might have always heard they can, they might tell you they can and you believe them but if it were pushed to a higher court they would lose. It would fall under illegal search and seizure. Doesn’t matter what badge they are wearing or what state it’s in.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 10:01 PM

Locally I've seen the cops use a gw to gain entry into a home they didn't have a warrant or probable cause to get one but knew there was whatever they wanted inside an how to get it...
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 10:05 PM

I have a fur buyer's license, that gives the DWR carte blanch to check when ever they wish, day or night !
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 10:07 PM

I would let them, I have nothing they are looking for.
Posted By: gcs

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 10:09 PM

Here, they claim they can search your vehicle, boat, property,...but IF they can, why do they ask your permission first??? they cannot however search your home or an abode without a warrant.

Having more authority to search then a police officer is kinda sketchy.

I believe OKforester pretty much nailed it.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 10:09 PM

4th Amendment of the US Constitution covers EVERY person in the US and applies to EVERY officer in EVERY state.

State laws DO NOT override it.

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 10:26 PM

[Linked Image]

In Ga, GWs are allowed by state law to go on property, outside of buildings, without a warrant, in the performance of their duties. The 4th protects us from improper searches and seizures in our homes, outbuuldings, and curtilage, and to some extent our vehicles, but a GW being on your land without your permission is not trepassing....at least not in Ga.

A GW's obvious duty is enforcement of wildlife laws. Wildlife is not owned by anyone. It is owned by the people of your state and held in trust by your state's wildlife agency to mange and conserve for the people. So, what does that mean? It means you or your neighbors cant legally help themselves to the wildlife irrespective of your state's laws.
Posted By: Boco

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 10:56 PM

That says unreasonable searches-reasonable searches are OK then.In other words they cant search without a reason.If they see something then they have a reason.
A search can be reasonable without a warrant.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 10:58 PM

I would not push till I get shot or assaulted but without a warrant I will refuse to unlock anything or participate. Game wardens are under the authority of the constitution no matter what lies they tell you.

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:04 PM

P.S. If the local warden knocks on my door and asks if I have any wild meat or skins i will answer truthfully. Probably show them to him/her if there is a reason to look beyond my word.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
That says unreasonable searches-reasonable searches are OK then.In other words they cant search without a reason.If they see something then they have a reason.

WRONG BOZO !!! laugh

w

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:09 PM

Yes. The US Supreme Court has ruled (on many cases) that there are times when circumstances justify/override the need to secure a search warrant. When evidence of the crime could be easily destroyed or lost/when exigent circumstances exist for timesake/ for officer safety in certain situations such as traffic stops that may involve weapons within reach.....to name a few.

Oh...and when consent is given...a warrant is not needed.

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
P.S. If the local warden knocks on my door and asks if I have any wild meat or skins i will answer truthfully. Probably show them to him/her if there is a reason to look beyond my word.

Took 6 min for you to flip-flop on that...lol

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:18 PM

Show up at my door demanding to search and see who gets fliped fooed

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Show up at my door demanding to search and see who gets fliped fooed

Good grief !
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:21 PM

They can in Mississippi too, however they must have a reasonable suspicion that you have violated a game law. If you are caught say poaching they will be searching no paperwork needed. I can't say that I've ever heard of being abused or a problem here.
Posted By: SJA

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:22 PM

States may vary on what legal authority GW’s have. I know In Maryland, The Natural Resource Police (NRP) are the oldest State Police Force Agency in the State and have full authority to enforce ALL State Laws. They have full authority to search you, your house, or any building having probable cause or exigent circumstance that may exist. If other items are discovered in plain view that were not initially the probable cause, then they would come under items “incident to arrest” and generally, if time permits, a search and seizure warrant would be gained. Otherwise, as the old saying goes, “you don’t go looking for elephant in a desk drawer”.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:37 PM

I don't see a problem iffin you aint gots nothin to hide.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:49 PM

They can't

Wrong....depends on the State
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:53 PM

I don't think it's legal in WI without a warrant. For you that say they can, please post a fact.

Re: How many of you - 03/03/21 11:55 PM

What state doesnt ensure its officers follow the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution?

Big payout of taxpayer $$ gonna happen in that state if there is one....
Posted By: Boco

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed

WRONG BOZO !!! laugh

w

You should know by now I'm seldom wrong walleyed-quit making a fool of yourself.
Now go back and read what the game warden affirmed.

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:16 AM

That is what I'm trying to figure out swamp wolf. In kansas our regulations clearly stated ithat it is illegal to deny a warden access to any place used to process or store wildlife. Are you saying this is untrue? In the last few years that has disappeared from our regulations.

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:19 AM

To those who say they have nothing to hide. I guess if the cops show up at your door asking if they can look and see if you have any illegal guns or magazines you'll invite them in and open up the gun safe?

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:24 AM

That is what I'm trying to figure out swamp wolf. In kansas our regulations clearly stated ithat it is illegal to deny a warden access to any place used to process or store wildlife. Are you saying this is untrue? In the last few years that has disappeared from our regulations.

Im gonna assume that KS regulation refers to a business that handles wildlife. If that is so, the fact that it is a commercial business handling wildlife usually requires that business to comply with inspections. Here in Ga, our commercial wildlife permits have that stipulation as a condition of the permit.

For instance, we recently conducted inspections of several local seafood markets (during open business hours.) We waited until there were minimal/no customers inside before we requested the inspections. The owners understood the inspections and were fully compliant.

KS may have removed that reg's wording due to the fact that wildlife can be processed inside homes, non-commercially....where consent or a warrant would be needed in most every case.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:25 AM

I've hunted and fished my whole life and been trapping for the last 5 years, have respect for most wardens and Leo in general, but unfortunately after a couple dealings with wardens in separate states I have learned to just not say anything. Being honest cost me some money
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:26 AM

You have agree to get the license here, and police are a different office as well here !
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:33 AM

After watching those TV shows, Lone Star Law, or North woods Law, aint no way I'm letting them in without a proper warrant. I won't even open the door to talk to them, we can shout back and forth through it, or call my phone, i might answer. Lol

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
I've hunted and fished my whole life and been trapping for the last 5 years, have respect for most wardens and Leo in general, but unfortunately after a couple dealings with wardens in separate states I have learned to just not say anything. Being honest cost me some money

Yeah..sometimes, if your honest, it helps your case. But that depends on what you did.

Telling the Po-Po that you murdered someone likely wouldnt help your defense in a murder trial.

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
After watching those TV shows, Lone Star Law, or North woods Law, aint no way I'm letting them in without a proper warrant. I won't even open the door to talk to them, we can shout back and forth through it, or call my phone, i might answer. Lol

Iffin' GWs show up at your door they likely already have enuf info to make their case against you. An arrest warrant served will mean a trip to the grey bar motel and a bond to secure.

Opening the door and speaking to the nice officers may result in a ticket (or 2) and you get to sleep in.your own bed that night.

Just sayin'.
Posted By: hipp2412

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 01:03 AM

That would be a violation of the 4th Amendment, unlawful search and seizure. Without consent they would need a warrant. And a State Law can not supersede a federal law..

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Iffin' GWs show up at your door they likely already have enuf info to make their case against you. An arrest warrant served will mean a trip to the grey bar motel and a bond to secure.

Opening the door and speaking to the nice officers may result in a ticket (or 2) and you get to sleep in.your own bed that night.

Just sayin'.

They best have real paper, a warrant or a battering ram. While their banging away I will be calling my lawyer to meet me at the grey bar motel, while I wait for them to knock the door down. They will find me sitting in my Lazy Boy, silent. I am a honest man, and won't be wrongfully pushed around. If they make up a ticket or two, that's what a lawyer is for. Their revenue depends on rollovers paying fines without a peep.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by wetdog
I don't see a problem iffin you aint gots nothin to hide.

I've got nothing to hide, and I've also got nothing you're gonna see without a warrant.

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 01:21 AM

No...their revenue does not...not in Ga. All fine $$ go to the county where violation occurred. GW are state officers.

I dont think the Po-Po would knock your door down wrongfully, but who knows?

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
No...their revenue does not...not in Ga. All fine $$ go to the county where violation occurred. GW are state officers.

I dont think the Po-Po would knock your door down wrongfully, but who knows?

Here the fine revenue is split up at the county level. A portion of fine money even goes to the local judges retirement fund. No conflict there. It's a for profit enterprise, as soon as they start loosing money, plea bargains are offered, or when you have lawyered up.

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 01:36 AM

Our county has paid for more than a few broke down doors, or been sued for wrong address raids.

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 01:37 AM

Our county has paid for more than a few broke down doors, or been sued for wrong address raids.

Thats happens too much. No excuse for it.
Posted By: SJA

Re: How many of you - 03/04/21 01:44 AM

I'll offer this opinion. For some of you, it would be much cheaper to contact your attorney, or an attorney, before any situation arises and ask them to explain the 4th A to you and your State Law regarding "unreasonable search and seizures", than to have them represent you in a court of law afterwards. What you do after that advice is on you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums