Home

What's in your wallet?

Posted By: Gary Benson

What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 01:33 PM

Someone mentioned getting back 1.5% on all purchases from their CC company. What else is out there that any of you like to use?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 01:34 PM

Only CC in my wallet imma the company fuel card
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Someone mentioned getting back 1.5% on all purchases from their CC company. What else is out there that any of you like to use?

I use my cc also but get 3%-5% back.....its a great convenience. I also use senior discounts on many things now. There are also many senior programs in towns. Kroger card,went to buy king crab legs last week,1.5 pounds was 40 bucks...got them for 29 using my card.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 01:37 PM

Cash, when available

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue

I use my cc also but get 3%-5% back.....its a great convenience. I also use senior discounts on many things now. There are also many senior programs in towns.

What CC company is it?
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
[quote=Gary Benson]Someone mentioned getting back 1.5% on all purchases from their CC company. What else is out there that any of you like to use?

I use my cc also but get 3%-5% back.....its a great convenience. I also use senior discounts on many things now. There are also many senior programs in towns.

I have 8 cards gary,,diff cards give diff rates on diff things. I use them all to my benefits. The 2 cards I use the most for benefits are chase and bank of america.
Posted By: EdP

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 02:04 PM

I have a Cap One Quicksilver that gives 1.5% back on every purchase. Also a Chase Freedom Unlimited that gives 1.5% back minimum, 3% on groceries, 5% on restaurant.
Posted By: Boco

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 03:15 PM

Cash and my mask.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 03:16 PM

Dave Ramsey says don't do it. Nobody pays you to use their money- they have a plan to take money from you and you can count on it
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 03:30 PM

I don't use any credit cards anymore, just a debit card, the only thing suffering now is my credit rating, LOL

Dropped to almost nothing because I have no debt to watch, can't get no loans, but anything on credit it's a real encumbrance to deal with trying to prove you can pay when you have no debt.

LOL never thought would see the day you have to be in debt to get a loan, seems radically backwards to me !!
Posted By: newtoga

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 03:46 PM

No cc. Debit and mostly cash. A lot of things are cheaper with cash.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 03:57 PM

BoA is the one that gave the FBI the spending reports of folks that went to D.C. No warrant required.
That being said, I have an Alaska Airlines visa that pays a mile per dollar. That card is BoA. I applied for a credit union card to use for some things.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 04:04 PM

Buy stuff pay it off and take the points is what I do, about the only way to get a deal at Cabela’s mostly game cams for me.
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 04:18 PM

Cash
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 04:22 PM

The only CC I use on a regular basis is great. 4% cash back on all fuel and grocery purchases and a bunch of other perks. Gets paid back to the card around 3rd week of November annually just in time for Christmas. Cheap annual fee, not sure what the interest rate is but that's insignificant to me.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 04:23 PM

Cash only. No one is going to charge me a percentage to use my own money
Just seems, well, Dumb
Posted By: hippie

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 05:26 PM

Cash only unless I'm traveling, then I take my wife's credit card along in case I run into trouble.

I'd tell her to get rid of hers but it's handy to buy things online.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 05:28 PM

Credit card for gas, cash and the Trojan I've had since I was 18.

I hate debt and haven't had any since 1990. When I rent a car in the states it can be a problem because I have no credit report.

Pete
Posted By: charles

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/08/21 06:40 PM

Wife uses Capitol One point for airline flight, gift cards, and magazine renewals. She ain’t afraid to use the card.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 03:35 AM

I have a Costco membership card. Get a nice little check at the end of the year for all my purchases.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Dave Ramsey says don't do it. Nobody pays you to use their money- they have a plan to take money from you and you can count on it

That would be because Dave Ramsay's core audience are financial train wrecks.
Posted By: Boco

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 03:49 AM

You mean they overcharge you when you buy stuff,then they use your money for a year,then give it back to you so you will keep giving them your money to use.
Cool.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 03:53 AM

Not many places out there that writes you a check each year. We spend about $1300 a month on groceries. Ask superstore for a check, see what they say.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 04:01 AM

Financially responsible cash back credit card users are benefitting off the backs of the greater majority of irresponsible credit card users. My scotiabank momentum card pays 4% cash back on all gas and grocery purchases, there's no catch. I'm rewarded in the range of $1400 cash back in November every year no strings attached.
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 04:01 AM

^^^^^^wow, you must eat well.
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 04:02 AM

^^^^^^^ wow, you must eat well.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I have a Costco membership card. Get a nice little check at the end of the year for all my purchases.

Costco is great if you're a disciplined shopper buying bulk to save on groceries, no doubt about it. But if you're an impulsive buyer, beware. You can get an amazing deal on a 3 pack of pianos.
Posted By: SJA

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Not many places out there that writes you a check each year. We spend about $1300 a month on groceries. Ask superstore for a check, see what they say.

The trick to using CC wisely is to have the cash to pay it off when due. Let's use JP's scenario as an example. At $1300.00 per month x 1.5 % = $19.50 x 12 months, = $234.00 per year saving. Again, TOTALY pay off the CC when due! You can even apply the 1.5 % end of month total towards your payment. :-)
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 04:08 AM

Debit for emergency cash only for me.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 04:41 AM

In my wallet, I have 2 credit cards, 3 debit cards and a lot of cash. I have not paid a credit card any interest in around 20 years. My only debt is my farm. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

Keith

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 04:43 AM

I find with the convenience of cards I rarely have cash in my wallet anymore.
Posted By: midlander

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun

Many might start out that way, but probably end up better off than most by taking his advice
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 10:29 AM

Gary, I’m a big fan of cash back cards. I use my cards to pay for all bills that I can. You’re going to pay for it anyways. I just make sure to not hold a balance. I switch them when the 0% interest runs out every year to 18 months.

There’s no specific card that’s been better. I just choose the one with the highest percentage cash back at the time. Some offer cash back bonuses if you spend say $500 the first three months. I do that in a month with bills so it’s easy money.

I currently have the Discover cash back match. 1% on all purchases and after one year they match your cash back. So after a year if you’ve spent $50,000 you’ll have $500 back and they’ll match that $500. I always change cards in November. Claim my cash back for the year. It’s made for some happy children at Christmas.

If they’re used correctly and you don’t get behind on a balance it’s money for paying bills you’d pay anyways. It’s crazy not to do it. My credit is currently about 750 and been up to 800. If you ever do need a loan it’s nice to have options.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 12:11 PM

I mostly use debit cards. One attached to a business account and one attached to a personal account. I almost never have more than $100.00 in my wallet unless I'm making a cash purchase.

I have lot's of credit accounts, you have to in order to run a business. You just have to be smart about using credit. Having a good credit score can save you lots of money in interest and opens up possibilities not available to those that don't.
Posted By: garymc

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 02:01 PM

I just switched from Cabelas to the Citi Double Cash. 1% on purchase and another 1% when the bill is paid. I like flexibility of not being ham strung to just Cabelas. So far I have been pleased.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/09/21 02:02 PM

I find with the convenience of cards I rarely have cash in my wallet anymore.

Some places won’t even take cash now.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Gary, I’m a big fan of cash back cards. I use my cards to pay for all bills that I can. You’re going to pay for it anyways. I just make sure to not hold a balance. I switch them when the 0% interest runs out every year to 18 months.

There’s no specific card that’s been better. I just choose the one with the highest percentage cash back at the time. Some offer cash back bonuses if you spend say $500 the first three months. I do that in a month with bills so it’s easy money.

I currently have the Discover cash back match. 1% on all purchases and after one year they match your cash back. So after a year if you’ve spent $50,000 you’ll have $500 back and they’ll match that $500. I always change cards in November. Claim my cash back for the year. It’s made for some happy children at Christmas.

So your changing cards every year or so?
I want a card that won't give my purchasing information to the govt. w/o a warrant, like BoA did! I also don't want to change cards fishing for the next best deal. Like you, my fellow Nebraskan, (even tho I don't live there now) I pay for almost everything with a card. Points, cash back, etc. would be great. Does Discover protect your information.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 05:08 AM

Yes I change cards whenever the 0% interest on purchases runs out generally that's 12-18 months depending on the card. I haven't ever had any issues with protection. I can recall one time my credit card was used to purchase books somewhere on the west coast and they shut it down before it went through. Anymore you can set your purchase limits etc. to notify you. Most cards you can get an instant text whenever a purchase is made. If you switch every year you can get the $100-150 back if you spend so much etc. It's what makes the offers worth it.

I'll be honest I don't have a preference. I've used them all. Visa, Discover, Chase, Wells Fargo, etc. etc. I haven't had any issues with any of them. I just go with whoever's got the best deals for cash back for the year. I really like the cash back match for Discover that's a hard one to beat after a year. I know there's local farmers that will put their whole feed bill for the year on a credit card and go buy a new four wheeler every year with the return. They've learned to do it right. If you're responsible and use it to your benefit you can get some pretty good rewards. If I was much of a traveler I'd look at the hotel points or the flying miles. I just don't go anywhere.

If you're paying your monthly bills with cash electricity, internet, phone, cable (if you have it I don't), gas, groceries, etc. etc. you're literally throwing money down the drain. The only thing I can't tack onto a credit card that I wish I could is my mortgage. You're going to have those costs every month anyways may as well get some money back for paying them.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 04:38 PM

Very good information. Thanks guys.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 04:42 PM

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/cash-back
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 05:08 PM

True. D.R's reasoning is studies show people spend more when using plastic rather than cash. Money going out is always worse than money staying in. Points or no points.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 05:24 PM

I had no clue who Dave Ramsey is so I googled him. Couldn't figure out what his qualifications are for telling me how to live. Just another TV preacher so far as I can tell.

I did get a capital one card through bass pro a few months ago. I didnt need it already had a CC. There was an offer to take 20 bucks off any order for getting the card. I checked and no annual fee so I got one. Bought a case of shotgun shells. When I got the card and the bill the shells were full price. The nice lady on the phone explained I got 20 points. Good for twenty bucks off my next bass pro purchase. That wasn't real clear when I agreed to get the card. I bought some new fishing reels and a depth finder from them. So used the card. I have more points now. I wish they had some rifle primers. I would use those points and put the primers on gun broker.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 05:48 PM

Citi card double cash for me have had one last 8 years. no Annual feel low interest rates though i pay off every month 2 days after i get my bill. They also protect me from credit card fraud. I run my life through the card and they pay me back in cash by writing me a check or taking it off my balance. cards that give credit awards are for suckers. you have to spend the points there at their shop or airline with all kinds of gimmicks and in most cases they build the rewards discount back into your purchase. I was even able to buy part of my truck with it money in my pocket hassle free.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 05:57 PM

i dont even wait for the bill. I just wait for the charge to show up online then push the pay now button. Comes out of my checking account. Dont have to write a check and mail it.

WyFurHarvesters , yeah I got that card on a whim. My main card I get 2% on all purchases. Bass pro card is 1% everywhere but basspro/cabelas then its 2% of store credit. I should not have got it. Spur of the moment thing. Didnt do my due diligence. Not a big deal though it doesn't have any fees.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 06:03 PM

Just a debit card that can be used as a credit card as well. Only issue if the cash ain’t in the account then it can’t be used. Always try to keep $8-10K in checking incase I come across a deal to good to pass up, lol.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 06:15 PM

My debit card has a 1000 dollar limit on it. Bank says all their debit cards do. Several years ago I bought gas with it. Tried to use it again and somehow the convenience store had shut my card off till they got paid. No thanks on the debit card. I have one in case I need to get cash. (which is rare now that I dont drive OTR) CC cash has a fee no matter how fast I pay it back.
Posted By: frank1969

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/10/21 06:55 PM

Nothing I'm married
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 01:29 AM

No way on a debit card you can have your whole account cleaned out if some one hacks it credit card is unsecured debt and protected if someone gets your identity or uses it.
Posted By: midlander

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters
No way on a debit card you can have your whole account cleaned out if some one hacks it credit card is unsecured debt and protected if someone gets your identity or uses it.

Not true, refer to the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA).
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 02:30 AM

I let my bank know when I’m heading out of state or country. The first time I went to Kansas they shut my card off when I filled up the tank in Missouri. Now they call first, even after I let them know, lol. I was sitting at home about a year ago and they called and asked if I had just purchased $800 worth of Air Jordan’s at some mall in Atlanta...said it wasn’t a “normal” purchase for me. I replied I had a long day, but it wasn’t that long of a day. Got a new card a few days later.
Posted By: waggler

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 02:40 AM

I have two Alaska Airlines CC's (unfortunately Bank of America), one CC is personal, and one is business. I get one $99 companion airline ticket each year for each of the CC 's. I use them for my crewmen and assistant guide. Those two $99 airline tickets save me at least $1500 every year. Plus I accumulate airline miles for purchases, this alone adds up to hundreds of dollars in savings each year.

Other than that I have zero debit cards, I refuse to use them, I use real checks instead.

I have a drivers license, hunting, fishing and trapping license, my Guide license, Blasting license, a Costco card, some cash, a few business cards, and proof of insurance cards.
Posted By: waggler

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I let my bank know when I’m heading out of state or country. The first time I went to Kansas they shut my card off when I filled up the tank in Missouri. Now they call first, even after I let them know, lol. I was sitting at home about a year ago and they called and asked if I had just purchased $800 worth of Air Jordan’s at some mall in Atlanta...said it wasn’t a “normal” purchase for me. I replied I had a long day, but it wasn’t that long of a day. Got a new card a few days later.

I think I might know the kid who bought those Jordan's.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 03:54 AM

Get a Visa cash card from your bank it has the same protections like a Visa credit cards has.

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 05:01 AM

OK wyofur, talked me into the citi. Hope they keep our purchasing info private.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
My debit card has a 1000 dollar limit on it. Bank says all their debit cards do.

Not all debit cards have a $1,000.00 limit, maybe just that bank.

My debit cards have been hacked a few times. Most recently some turd used the debit card attached to one of my business accounts to buy $1,800.00+ worth of tools at a Home Depot in Florida. He then tried to make another purchase at another Home Depot an hour away but that purchase was denied.

I noticed the charge on my account and called my bank to find out what it was. When it became obvious it was fraudulent they had me call the Home Depot in question and get some information. I then filled out a Fraud Report, they gave me provisional credit (put the money back into my account), shut down the card and issued me a new one.

From talking with the HD managers, they had the guy on camera at both places. I don't know if they ever caught him but the provisional credit was made permanent a month or so later.

The few times I've been hacked my bank and issuing CC company have always gone to bat for me and got the matter resolved quickly in my favor.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: What's in your wallet? - 03/11/21 01:44 PM

When I retired 2 years ago I paid off all my credit cards and cut them all in half! All I have now is a debit card or pay cash. I do use Pay Pal Credit on occasion and believe it or not my credit score is 835. I did co-sign for my stepson for a car and he is paying it on time every time. The Tacoma I just bought I took a loan out for it just to keep my credit score good.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums