Home

When you see fur, what do you think?

Posted By: Flipper 56

When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 05:15 PM

One side of my fur shed is like a man cave and I have noticed when non trappers or even some trappers that walk in and see some tanned fur in bundles on hangers, the first thing out of their mouth is,"What are you going to do with it"?

So, I thought it looked cool and I enjoy looking at it and feeling the soft garment tanned fur. But, I guess now for the most part, people don't see it as a thing of beauty or something like a collectible item. To keep and enjoy as a reminder of the memories made trapping and putting up your fur as it's been done for a long time.

Nope, you should do something with it and get it out of here is the norm now!! That is why it is easy for them to push the no trapping laws through. People don't care about fur anymore so they don't even bother to get involved. Anyway, just thinking out loud and was curious what you all thought.

We are a dying breed
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 05:23 PM

Maybe it’s just the circle I travel but working the beaver pelt while in the truck, everybody wants to see it. The men ask where I learned to do that and the women say they want a fur coat. Nobody yet has said anything negative.
Posted By: Boco

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 05:33 PM

Put it for sale,there is a market for tanned fur by various different users.

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Maybe it’s just the circle I travel but working the beaver pelt while in the truck, everybody wants to see it. The men ask where I learned to do that and the women say they want a fur coat. Nobody yet has said anything negative.

Oh, most of them are amazed how soft the muskrat and otter, coyote, coon, and beaver are but they will still say,"What are you going to do with it"? People don't do that to hunters that have a deer head on the wall. confused
Posted By: Sharon

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 05:36 PM

I have had a bobcat tail hanging off the back of my purse for years. In lines at stores, etc, I get interesting comments. Kids love it and with their parent's approval, I let them feel the fur texture and explain what it is . So far, no negative comments. I always add , with a smile, that this is no different than your belt, purse, coats, furniture, saddle, gloves, or anything else made of leather. Only difference is those are without the fur on top. The use is the same. Actually even better, as appreciation for the beauty of fur, even on a tail, is showing value . Love seeing the info sink in , observing the expressions from adults and happy , practical acceptance from kids.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 05:36 PM

I also get the "what are you going to do with it" from some people. We are a dying breed, sad to say. If it weren't for marketing outside America our way of life would have crapped out a long time ago. That being said I'll keep harvesting fur as long as I can. It's what I do and who I am

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Put it for sale,there is a market for tanned fur by various different users.

Nope, I had it all tanned for my personal enjoyment and my hat stock. I don't care what they think, I was just pointing out the public's view in my opinion.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 06:01 PM

Everything except martens I sell tanned. Most people want it just to hang on the wall or drape over a chair and they always love them. Personally I would like to see everything put to a practical use but that’s ok.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 06:55 PM

I get that all the time to here in the west, can't figure it, expect it from anti's and animal rights whackos, though !

I tell them I make hats and sell for material that others want but can't hunt or don't know how to obtain fur, yet want to make things out of it, as well as my own inventory, it satisfies most.

I'm always interested in buying North American professionally tanned fur, for my inventory as well.

Right now is a great time for end users to buy fur, due to low pelt prices, some will tan part of their harvest for them selves and then try to sell, but can't figure out where to do so, and end up with a big cost for tanning it, have to be careful that way, as most tanned fur does not sell in large bundles like at the auctions !
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? - 04/09/21 08:15 PM

My friends always stick their head in the back of my truck to see what I got. The girls at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru....haven’t said anything yet...lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums