Home

Window unit AC Mold question

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 02:22 AM

Anything I can put in my window a/c's to kill the mold that gets in them ?
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 02:23 AM

Perhaps a dehumidifier in your room?
Posted By: charles

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 03:38 AM

Change the filter frequently too.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 03:58 AM

I find most window A/C's don't have enough tilt to properly drain. I also find most don't have enough drainage too. Tilting more and drilling more drain holes helps a lot. Less water , less mold.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 04:01 AM

I've forgotten the name of the product, however its a small cube that you sit in the water, it makes the water bad for mold , they don't smell either like others do, most hard ware stores carry them. Used to use them all the time in those large four and five foot water air coolers at an old job !

Internet is your friend here !
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cragar
I find most window A/C's don't have enough tilt to properly drain. I also find most don't have enough drainage too. Tilting more and drilling more drain holes helps a lot. Less water , less mold.

This is what I would recommend, although I'd be intrigued about what GritGuy posted.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
I've forgotten the name of the product, however its a small cube that you sit in the water, it makes the water bad for mold , they don't smell either like others do, most hard ware stores carry them. Used to use them all the time in those large four and five foot water air coolers at an old job !

Internet is your friend here !

Is this what you're talking about? They also sell little packets. Very common here with swamp coolers.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dial-Plaster-Evaporative-Cooler-Water-Hook-Up-Kit/3092459

I always clean mold with distilled vinegar.

As others said the condensate doesn't always drain right in the window ac units
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 11:33 AM

Viper spray coil cleaner is the best and it’s biodegradable
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 01:25 PM

Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 02:06 PM

mix some bleach in a spray bottle spray it into the coils every couple months.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
mix some bleach in a spray bottle spray it into the coils every couple months.

Bleach does nothing but cause the mold to hibernate. Need something that will actually kill the mold

Best thing I've found for mold is wet n forget
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 05:47 PM

Also most of the interior drain pans in window shakers is made from white foam bead board and some chemicals will dissolve it! Viper coil cleaner spray it on the coil let it set 10 minutes and then use a spray bottle of water and spray the coil and it will clean the coil and drain pan. Don't drill more drain holes in the exterior pan the extra water in the pan helps cool the refrigerant. Also clean the exterior coil in the same manner so the unit will cool easier and system runs cooler. I would usually clean the exterior coil with the garden hose again in mid summer to clear pollen,insects and road dust from the exterior coils.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 07:04 PM

Mold is pretty tough stuff to get rid of, killing it a couple times is more like it.

You need to place an inhibitor inside to stop future growth, there are many to use.

Like I said earlier a few minutes on the net looking for A/C mold control and inhibitors will give you
many selections, they are not expensive either !
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Window unit AC Mold question - 05/02/21 07:25 PM

Sporicidin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums