Home

eBike crazy

Posted By: Law Dog

eBike crazy - 05/23/21 08:12 PM

Typed in eBike a place came up in Portland only 9 grand for this one, what the heck?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 08:25 PM

Its another 4 grand for the extension chord
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Typed in eBike a place came up in Portland only 9 grand for this one, what the heck?

[Linked Image]

Most of that cost has very little to do the "E" portion and far more to do with the carbon frame, brake/gear components and the name brand slapped on the side.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 08:59 PM

Many people equate high price with higher quality and long for higher status for themselves, that they hope to get when they show off their expensive purchases.

Keith

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 09:08 PM

I just want to get my butt down and back on the roads in the forest. LOL
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 09:12 PM

I suppose pedals are extra too?! I've seen a bunch of them in Fla. I spose it makes exercising easier..
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 09:14 PM

Yep..Everyhing is fine and dandy until you get one in the mud.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 09:19 PM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7195764/1

Check out this thread LD. This is what you're probably looking for. They're still expensive but not 9K expensive. Especially check out page 2. Bernie B. has a nice video referring to the electric fat tire bikes.

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 09:46 PM

The Forest service has roads they close to motorized vehicles but don’t consider the eBike as motorized the perfect way to get away from other hunters and side by sides. Nothing sucks more then hiking in a mile to get passed by a side by side. LOL
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 10:02 PM

The Forest service has roads they close to motorized vehicles but don’t consider the eBike as motorized the perfect way to get away from other hunters and side by sides. Nothing sucks more then hiking in a mile to get passed by a side by side. LOL

I believe those fat tire bikes aren't considered motorized ( they are eBikes) and allowed on Forest service ground.

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 10:34 PM

The roads that are gated and locked would be ideal for one just go in 2 miles or more and your on your own most likely. Do a little Google earth checking and make sure it’s a long enough road to work for you. Don’t trust the paper maps I found roads that were not on the National Forest maps they hand out.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 11:18 PM

[Linked Image]

Dang and it doesn't even come with pedals!

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 11:19 PM

Posted By: Michigander

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 11:21 PM

I don't get the craze personally. Its not very hard to pedal a bike and a heck of a lot cheaper too. Every few years a new gimmick comes out that you must have to kill a deer and this seems to be it.

Re: eBike crazy - 05/23/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
I don't get the craze personally. Its not very hard to pedal a bike and a heck of a lot cheaper too. Every few years a new gimmick comes out that you must have to kill a deer and this seems to be it.

Go hike the Black Hills and get back to me.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 12:01 AM

seen several on FS and BlM roads and even road one quite impressed but was told on FS you cant use them in the wilderness. The one I road went up grades 10 times faster than I could walk and the guy had double packs on it.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 12:10 AM

I got my Rad Rover Step-Through just before my turkey season. I got the Step-Through because I have short, stumpy legs and I have a hard time swinging them up and over the conventional bar. It comes with lights and I also ordered a rear rack for it. They cost $1699 with free shipping.

I tell ya, that thing is going to open up a lot of territory for just about everything I do. For someone who is starting to have trouble getting around due to age, broken or replaced parts, or simply not having the gumption anymore, I think they are fantastic. You have to be a little cautious because you can get going pretty fast plus the weight of the thing can make stopping, then standing a little dicey because of the momentum of the bike. I had mine up to 17 mph on the road pulling a cart I made for it our of an old golf bag cart.

Law Dog, I think it would be perfect for you out in the Black Hills. I have hunted out there several times and I know what you are talking about.

This thing is going to revive my ability to get around for hunting and trapping, and I am going to love it.

Moosetrot
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 12:25 AM

I can see where the E-bike could open up a lot of Public land that is a mile or more from the parking area or road

Moosetrot is going to be a mile in at day break and cut some calls then cruise int he direction of the turkey
Posted By: cwtrapper

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 12:42 AM

I prefer a good horse or mule myself. I can go into wilderness areas with them too. Except in Wyoming as a non-resident.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by cwtrapper
I prefer a good horse or mule myself. I can go into wilderness areas with them too. Except in Wyoming as a non-resident.

Agreed!!

I ran into some guys with these this spring and they said they could do 20mi a day through rough country on a charge. My horse can do more but getting a trailer to the trailhead is the biggest downside. Throwing a bike on a rack would be easier. Plus not taking care of it year round.
Posted By: run

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 01:17 PM

These e-bikes are probably more reliable than a Chevy Colorado.

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by run
These e-bikes are probably more reliable than a Chevy Colorado.

That’s the thing putting out $1,000 to $2,000 for something that won’t last but a few years maybe, I guess you would still have a spendy bike then so it’s not a total loss then. LOL I looked at the electric scooters also but they are not a bike so they are out.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 01:33 PM

Rambo ebikes are popular on some of the archery sites. And they're third to half of that price

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 01:35 PM

Park your horse or mule in the garage for a couple months between uses and see how that goes for you. Plus horses and Mules are a thousand times more expensive and time consuming.

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Rambo ebikes are popular on some of the archery sites. And they're third to half of that price

You definitely get what you pay for in these bikes. Just the difference between the Rambo's hub drive and the mid drive of the more expensive bikes is like the difference between a Yugo and a Escalade. Most of the other companies make cheap mid drive bikes to compare with the Rambo. BakCou's is called the flatlander.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Park your horse or mule in the garage for a couple months between uses and see how that goes for you. Plus horses and Mules are a thousand times more expensive and time consuming.

How are those e bikes at packing dead elk? Could get a old guy over his head if you zipped in 10mi back behind a gate and you can't carry what you shot out.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 01:56 PM

Turn big elk to little elk pieces. .Might need several trips
Posted By: jtg

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 02:02 PM

It would be impossible for a bike to go where a mule or horse could. I have been on a mule, where I had to just look straight ahead, trust the mule and hope for the best. It may be a little hard for a bike to swim across a river.
Posted By: 653

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 02:07 PM

Law Dog get one with a belt ddrive if you do. no sproket gears or chain to ever worry about and grease.chews weeds right up and takes the abuse

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 653
Law Dog get one with a belt ddrive if you do. no sproket gears or chain to ever worry about and grease.chews weeds right up and takes the abuse

I don’t mind spending the money if I get the value, the belt sounds better then a plastic gear thing for sure having a mechanical background I see the advantage of the belt overall. I just think of every battery operated tool I ever had that became useless well at least about 95% of them. LOL
Posted By: DWC

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 04:33 PM

I dont think comparing a mule or a horse to a bike is really what anyone is trying to do—-except those getting defensive of their mule or horse. Most people dont wanna keep a horse or mule around. Those bikes are awesome and would easily carry out a turkey and all the gear. If i hunted bigger ground id get one in a heartbeat.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 04:46 PM

there is a reason horses are called hay burners

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 05:43 PM

If the bike quits I can peddle it out but the horse/mule I’d have to shoot it like in the cowboy movies. LOL

Re: eBike crazy - 05/24/21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 653

I don’t mind spending the money if I get the value, the belt sounds better then a plastic gear thing for sure having a mechanical background I see the advantage of the belt overall. I just think of every battery operated tool I ever had that became useless well at least about 95% of them. LOL

The cheaper bikes have nylon gears in the Bafang motor, the better ones are brass. I learned the importance of that the hard way.
Posted By: 653

Re: eBike crazy - 05/25/21 01:31 AM

Not sure about battery life but I have bout doz. Dewalts that are at least 15 yrs old and are used almost daily

Re: eBike crazy - 05/25/21 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by 653
Not sure about battery life but I have bout doz. Dewalts that are at least 15 yrs old and are used almost daily

I have some 19.2 Craftsman batteries some still good some not, do you hear any complaints about battery life the ones I found on line looked to be $200-$400 for replacement batteries.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums