Home

The lost art of ?

Posted By: ScottPhillips

The lost art of ? - 08/17/21 11:45 PM

Counting Change!!!!!!!We are losing so many simple everyday things in this world. I noticed today how hard it was for a young man at McDonalds to figure out change. My meal was $8.19. I gave him $20.19. and it took him two minutes to give me back $12.00 and then he just handed it back to me. Hardly anyone counts your change back to you anymore!

Scott
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/17/21 11:49 PM

Lack of paying in cash... Common core math, always takes longer. Lol.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/17/21 11:56 PM

Around here they still count it not the correct way but they count what they’re giving you.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/17/21 11:57 PM

i always forget about the change thing to make your change a dollar or 5. then again i dont carry coins very long they go straight to the coin jar
Posted By: BigBob

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:03 AM

You really want to mess with them, pay with silver Susan B's! ROTFLMAO!

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
You really want to mess with them, pay with silver Susan B's! ROTFLMAO!

Same for the Sacagawea dollars.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:14 AM

Used to be a scammer chick at the corner store that always gave you charge for a ten when you gave her a 20.
Posted By: warrior

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:14 AM

Doing sums in your head.

Quoted a guy 425 to do one job and toss in the other one for 250. He whips out his phone to do the math. And this was a grown man!

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Doing sums in your head.

Quoted a guy 425 to do one job and toss in the other one for 250. He whips out his phone to do the math. And this was a grown man!

Must not of done very well in the speed math quizzes in elementary school. Do they even do those anymore? We did them in the mid 90s
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:18 AM

Several years ago I drove through a McDonald's for an Egg Mcmuffin and the guy working the window, after a pregnant pause, said "You want to pay, with money?" I should probably add that by the time he said this he already had my money in his hand. He is probably the manager by now.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Doing sums in your head.

He probably went to a SEC school.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by ScottPhillips
Counting Change!!!!!!!We are losing so many simple everyday things in this world. I noticed today how hard it was for a young man at McDonalds to figure out change. My meal was $8.19. I gave him $20.19. and it took him two minutes to give me back $12.00 and then he just handed it back to me. Hardly anyone counts your change back to you anymore!

Scott

lol..1 or 2 second answer
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:31 AM

I noticed it alot in philippines scott in grocery store....younger generationl We werent allowed calculators. Cashier was stumbling figuring my change and I said 18 cents change. She said wow sir you"re very good in math. I said everybody my age does this.
Posted By: gcs

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:40 AM

Kid in McDonalds must have been in management training, All he had to do was input the amount you gave and the machine would tell him the change...

This is nothing new, the fast food places went to smart cash registers in the late 70's, cause kids couldn't make change then either.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 11:27 AM

Around here they ask if you want your change to go into a Tip Jar?
Consider the young kids that have not had basic addition STRESSED due to this virus?
Teachers cannot really check progress when kids are at home on the computer learning...going to be interesting....
Posted By: Clark

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 11:38 AM

Meanwhile, those younger people are bemoaning that the older generation doesn’t know of or know how to use Venmo/PayPal/etc. Any guesses if cash or digital payment methods will last into the future?
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 12:37 PM

As a single parent I'd send one or both of my daughter's to the local grocery store for whatever milk , ice cream or bread with a $ 20.00 or a $ 50.00 bill once and I'd instruct them to get a receipt .
When they returned home I'd make them count back my change which I'd try to turn it into a fun game I'd be surprised if many of their classmates know how to count change .
Posted By: trapper20

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 01:10 PM

common sense
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 01:29 PM

Scott

I was at a farmers market two weeks ago they deal in cash all morning every week

I forget what my total was but he gave me back 3-4 dollars more than he should have , I did the math for him and handed him back the extra , he thanked me for being so honest.

my great aunt taught us to count back change at great grandpas store that she ran till she retired

speaking of things no-one seems to use or understand anymore
my don was telling his class back in the spring about this fishing trip we were taking

when he said plan was get out the gazetteer and pick a spot that looked good and go fishing where ever we pleased. not one of them knew what a gazetteer was including he teacher who is about 35 he had to explain a gazetteer to his class and teacher.

when the kids were still in booster seats we would pass the gazetteer to the back seat and point to where we where and where we were going and let them give the directions and later a compass and tell them what road we were on and let them figure where we were from other road sings.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
I noticed it alot in philippines scott in grocery store....younger generationl We werent allowed calculators. Cashier was stumbling figuring my change and I said 18 cents change. She said wow sir you"re very good in math. I said everybody my age does this.

When I was younger , calculators were just starting to get popular. My mother was a bookkeeper. She refused to let my brother and I to use calculators , we had to do the math on paper or in our heads. I hated it at the time. Very glad now however , can do math in a jiffy in my head.

Mom always knows best.

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Originally Posted by west river rogue

When I was younger , calculators were just starting to get popular. My mother was a bookkeeper. She refused to let my brother and I to use calculators , we had to do the math on paper or in our heads. I hated it at the time. Very glad now however , can do math in a jiffy in my head.

Mom always knows best.

Funny thing now is that the math teachers hate it when you do the math in your head. I got SAW on homework all the time.

Got to the point where when we were allowed TI 83 graphing calculators, I wrote programs that ran the numbers a d spit out the SAW parts so I just copied that.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 01:59 PM

There was a store I went to in the seventies that the change came out automatically out of the register. It took a ride down a slide and into a cup you scooped it out of. The bills were counted out to you by the clerk
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 02:00 PM

I gave a 40 year old women ,behind the Dunkin Donuts counter, a 2.00 bill for my coffee one morning. She ran to her boss ,cus she thought it was fake. She learned something that day !

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vinke
Used to be a scammer chick at the corner store that always gave you charge for a ten when you gave her a 20.

Yup….had the same chick here..at a pizza joint. I called her out one day….and got the correct change. Told her….when I pay …put the 10 or 20 on top of the register…so I can see it..then give me my change.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
There was a store I went to in the seventies that the change came out automatically out of the register. It took a ride down a slide and into a cup you scooped it out of. The bills were counted out to you by the clerk

woodman's and a few other stores still have this
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Scott

I was at a farmers market two weeks ago they deal in cash all morning every week

I forget what my total was but he gave me back 3-4 dollars more than he should have , I did the math for him and handed him back the extra , he thanked me for being so honest.

my great aunt taught us to count back change at great grandpas store that she ran till she retired

speaking of things no-one seems to use or understand anymore
my don was telling his class back in the spring about this fishing trip we were taking

when he said plan was get out the gazetteer and pick a spot that looked good and go fishing where ever we pleased. not one of them knew what a gazetteer was including he teacher who is about 35 he had to explain a gazetteer to his class and teacher.

when the kids were still in booster seats we would pass the gazetteer to the back seat and point to where we where and where we were going and let them give the directions and later a compass and tell them what road we were on and let them figure where we were from other road sings.

I didn't know what a gazeteer was either... we always called them atlases.
Posted By: NV7401

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 11:23 PM

the lost art of using manners and respect for elders.
Posted By: waggler

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/18/21 11:57 PM

The sad thing about all this is that it's not the kids fault, and it's not even the teachers fault; it's the parents fault. Parents are lazy and selfish, they want easy. Look how many of them take their own phone a thrust it into their toddlers hands as a baby sitting device. I see it happen every day; even with my friends. Pathetic.

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 01:53 AM

[Linked Image]

The lost Art of Straight Razor Shaving ……Is alive at my place
Posted By: warrior

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:18 AM

Shaving, period, is a lost art at my place. LOL
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Turtledale

woodman's and a few other stores still have this

Farm & Fleet

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:21 AM

Straight razor? I'd cut my bloody throat.

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by rszwieg
Straight razor? I'd cut my bloody throat.

[Linked Image]

There is a slight learning curve….I took it up 12 years ago at age 53, with my late Grand Paps razor…haven’t used anything but a straight since then.

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:39 AM

Seasoned users tell me that it's the best shave you'll ever get. Good for them.

Learning to shave with an old safety razor and less than pristine blades is very educational. And bloody. Thousands of fathers snicker.
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:41 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:43 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:44 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:45 AM

9Thanks
Originally Posted by Clark
Meanwhile, those younger people are bemoaning that the older generation doesn’t know of or know how to use Venmo/PayPal/etc. Any guesses if cash or digital payment methods will last into the future?

Depends what one is safer in the future never had my cash hacked but my cash card has been tapped into twice.

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:45 AM

That pic is like an old kung fu movie trailer. Lol

I'll pass.

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
I gave a 40 year old women ,behind the Dunkin Donuts counter, a 2.00 bill for my coffee one morning. She ran to her boss ,cus she thought it was fake. She learned something that day !

Lol 😆 🤣 there's a "special "club near here that they only have 2 dollars bills for tipping

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:48 AM

Lost art of staying off your phone and visiting

Re: The lost art of ? - 08/19/21 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
9Thanks
Originally Posted by Clark

Depends what one is safer in the future never had my cash hacked but my cash card has been tapped into twice.

I tried buying some parts from BCM which is right across the street from where I work with cash. No dice.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums