Home

First contact

Posted By: James

First contact - 09/03/21 05:16 AM

Suppose an alien spacecraft arrived and communicated peaceful intentions. How would it affect your life?

How would it affect our society? The geopolitical establishments?

Your religious faith? Or your belief in God?

Would some people call them demons?

I think our whole society could collapse. And that it would affect the faith of many: how could we still claim to be the pinnacle of God's creation?

Jim
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 05:20 AM

I would hand you over and call it good. They wouldn’t bother to return.

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 05:39 AM

There used to be a fellowship among Alaskan forum members here, but over recent years I've noticed the nastiness on this forum has increased. So I suppose the demise of the Alaskan fellowship was inevitable.

Mike you couldn't do what you say. Trust me on this.

But what do you think about my first contact questions?

I'm interested in others' input because I'm working on a SF story with this theme. I think we'd see a recreation of the first contacts between Europeans, with their advance technology, and the Amerindians. What happened to the Indians' culture and society?

Jim
Posted By: KeithC

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 06:02 AM

If the aliens are advanced enough to get here, they are advanced enough to go to a multitude of lifeless planets to glean resources from, with no hassles. For your story to work there would have to be something specific on Earth they can't easily obtain elsewhere. They otherwise would have to be so advanced and different they don't even notice humans, which make a less interesting story. Digging the dirt the worms live in doesn't make a good read.

I think most people would quickly adapt to aliens and that religions would change to incorporate them, so they could continue to control people.

You could have the aliens convince people they are gods to get what they want.

For aliens to work in science fiction, they have to be fairly human like to hold the attention of the readers. Just like the gods.

Keith
Posted By: DWC

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 06:14 AM

Id pour it a whiskey. Id have a couple with it. When it was getting relaxed id act like i was pouring it another and slip it in a rear naked choke. Skinny neck, fat head, it couldnt escape. Then id drag it in a parachute like will smith in independence day to the white house to joe and kamala. Id explain to them this is how u handle aliens. Then id punch them both in the face.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 07:04 AM

It wouldn't affect my faith
I've never believed out of all God's creation including the cosmos that we were the only sentient beings
Or that other world's don't have some kind of life
I grew up in a Lutheran Church and don't remember them teaching us that we were the "pinnacle" of God's creation
We were taught what happened on this planet during our time
I don't demonize much except people's action. Peaceful is peaceful
As far as our society collapsing because an alien appeared and announced peaceful intentions I can't see that happening. Why would you think so?

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 07:17 AM

Suppose the aliens have really advanced technology--stuff like quantum computers, cold fusion, graviton generators, android labor, and things we can't understand.

And what if the aliens brought new drugs, some of which have intensely pleasurable on humans. Millions of people thrown out of work, their culture on the ropes, and nothing to do with their time but turn to drugs. (Boredom is one of the prime motivators for drug abuse.) Sticking with my Amerindian analogy, the alien drugs are the analog of the drug alcohol brought by Europeans. What a devastating effect alcohol has had on Indian family and culture!

Jim
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 08:10 AM

Is recreational Marijuana legal in Alaska now? "Took a trip and never left the farm!"
Posted By: Pike River

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
If the aliens are advanced enough to get here, they are advanced enough to go to a multitude of lifeless planets to glean resources from, with no hassles. For your story to work there would have to be something specific on Earth they can't easily obtain elsewhere. They otherwise would have to be so advanced and different they don't even notice humans, which make a less interesting story. Digging the dirt the worms live in doesn't make a good read.

I think most people would quickly adapt to aliens and that religions would change to incorporate them, so they could continue to control people.

You could have the aliens convince people they are gods to get what they want.

For aliens to work in science fiction, they have to be fairly human like to hold the attention of the readers. Just like the gods.

Keith

They come here seeking to study us and learn of a new, intelligent species.... But its a ploy... They are really here to reap slave labor.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 08:57 AM

Doubt people would just accept them right off, people on this world are naturally apprehensive about other life.

Would be questions about them, where from, how did the get here, how long did it take to do so, stuff like that.

Guess it really depends on how they introduce them selves to begin with, if they arrive in a force that seems militaryish, things would probably be real touch and go, if they show up with flowing robes and gifts, people would probably be holding their hands out as most do any way.

Can't see it being the end of our world unless they come in firing away, think most believe Aliens are either good or bad, nothing in between. It's a forgone conclusion that they would be so far advanced from us that there is no comparison to our culture, hence the want to be info we would request to be able to join the ability to explore and either be peaceful explorers, or come down demanding.

Depending on the religion that those here practice would probably set the tone for acceptance or termination of us or we try to take them out, can't see taking them out right away, who knows how they think, can think or are thinking without experiencing some time with them.

After all they came for one reason or another, which one is the question, isn't it ?
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 09:24 AM

Aren’t you supposed to be fishing?
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R

He is.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 09:41 AM

Maybe the purpose of the visit would be to decide if humans should be allowed to continue with space exploration. Are humans going to evolve away from being creatures who prey on each other? Who continue use one another out of greed and a desire to control, into a peace loving species. If the decision is humans will never let go of their primitive need to dominate, then they must be destroyed before advances in human technology make it much harder for space travelers to protect their selves from an ever increasingly parasitic species.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 09:52 AM

Aliens would have been created by God as well. The whole universe.
Indians aren't the only ones devastated by alcohol. Whites are too if anyone believes white lives matter.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by James
Suppose an alien spacecraft arrived and communicated peaceful intentions. How would it affect your life?

I think our whole society could collapse. And that it would affect the faith of many: how could we still claim to be the pinnacle of God's creation?

Jim

Good morning James.
Suppose, suppose, suppose.
You're looking at this absolutely, positively, unconditionally backwards.
Faith seeking understanding is understandable yet understanding seeking faith is impossible. I invite you to read Origen, Justin, and Augustine on this.
Or better yet, Jesus.
The Bible is clear that the heavens and earth were created by God, humans are created in His image, and all of it has a divine purpose. For heaven and earth.

I'd argue that angels and demons are real because the spiritual realm is routinely (yet with mystery.... which is different than myth. Mystery means there are things we cannot know and myth means its fabricated) described all throughout Scripture, but I doubt they'll show up in the starship Enterprise.
Angelology is a church doctrine and it's fascinating. Not Sci-fi.

I think you make a fatal error. You lump the God of the Bible too often to all other faiths with their gods who people can't figure out, and who because they are fickle and prone to rage, cause followers to live in constant fear. That IS NOT the God of the Bible, who sent his only Son to die for you and me, and them and theirs. That's love undefinable.

When any of the pagan fertility, climate, animal, or satanic Baals send their only anybody to die for anybody who worships them.... and there are millions still today, then let's talk aliens and suppose, suppose, suppose.
Until then read the Word which is heart transforming.
Your mind's already filled up.

Prayers for your family,
Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Lab

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 10:48 AM

Twilight Zone - To Serve Man - It's a cookbook They would keep us fat and happy cause content animals are better to eat than a stressed animal LOL
Posted By: jk

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 11:12 AM

SSS
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 11:38 AM

A large portion of society would have a new shiny spacecraft to worship and would follow every word proclaimed by the wise aliens. It would probably shore up the Faith of many others.

I had almost talked myself out of wasting money on a .50 cal. Thanks James. Now I am wondering if I do actually need one to fight off space invaders.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 11:41 AM

They would say "Take me to your leader", I would , and they would say " Dont be reedicoussss".
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 11:43 AM

From now on stay away from the bong.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 11:59 AM

How it would effect our society ? well we would be in a mass toilet paper shortage , Facebook propaganda would go wild, it would all be trumps fault , the list gos on and on , o there would be something about race about it, im sure. it would be just like The War Of The Worlds only with social media.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 12:01 PM

James, yesterday you asked for prayers for your granddaughter. Now today you are back to stirring up the pot on someone’s faith. Maybe you should get on your knees and pray for your granddaughter also.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 12:05 PM

James is agnostic by admittance but might change his mind if it were to benefit him.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 12:20 PM

Suppose an alien spacecraft arrived and communicated peaceful intentions. How would it affect your life? probably not that much why would we be the only life in the universe

How would it affect our society? I am sure some people would go nuts about it

The geopolitical establishments? don't expect the theme to change much to do so would be to change human nature , now the alphabet agencies would all want to know what tech they could gain from the aliens

Your religious faith? Or your belief in God? not really I don't take possession of my god and try and make him in my image

Would some people call them demons? very possibly some people call anything they don't understand a demon

we could be the ones out exploring the universe , we could be much further than we are , we have a nice place to live and lack the motivation to put so much energy into getting to other planets.

are we the pinnacle of gods creation ? we are free beings given free will , where did it say we are the pinnacle I figure I am at a couple percent Neanderthal they have found Philippine tribes as much as 5% DNA from a pre humane evolutionary step.

would it change that I want to go fishing ?
would it change that I want to go hunting ?

would it change that I like to eat the foods I do?

would it change the other things I enjoy doing or spending time with family?

Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 12:36 PM

I'd ask one simple question. How's the hunting on your planet.?
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Id pour it a whiskey. Id have a couple with it. When it was getting relaxed id act like i was pouring it another and slip it in a rear naked choke. Skinny neck, fat head, it couldnt escape. Then id drag it in a parachute like will smith in independence day to the white house to joe and kamala. Id explain to them this is how u handle aliens. Then id punch them both in the face.

Best comment I've read on this site in a while! grin
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 02:17 PM

Jim

And what if, after we were able to interpret what they're saying, it turned out they were missionaries spreading the gospel?

You can't assume what their values and beliefs would be based on your own bias.

Mike
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 03:23 PM

Your posts make it sound like you already have the plot figured. Your goal is to disparage certain sectors of current society, like Europeans that brought alcohol. Am I correct? Don't need us to help do that!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 03:24 PM

There used to be a fellowship among Alaskan forum members here, but over recent years I've noticed the nastiness on this forum has increased. So I suppose the demise of the Alaskan fellowship was inevitable.

I'm interested in others' input because I'm working on a SF story with this theme. I think we'd see a recreation of the first contacts between Europeans, with their advance technology, and the Amerindians. What happened to the Indians' culture and society?

Jim

I don't feel any fellowship with townie Alaskans. However, the nastiness seems to be related to their former leader who was the king of nasty. He probably picked it up from being a twitter hero. I'm trying to just remain as nasty as I always was. Which I consider medium nasty.
Posted By: Posco

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 03:32 PM

Looks to me like Michael and Gabriel are stretching their wings getting warmed up for the apocalypse Biden is ushering in. Things are moving fast.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 03:34 PM

How I would react depends on where I got the news on this...Fox or CNN. Then I'd have to guess if it was real or not.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 04:04 PM

What if they claimed they were gods who seeded this planet with life and are now back to admire their creation? That would be kinda interesting.

Would they be what we recognize as humanoids? Convergent Evolution would suggest that is a strong possibility.
Posted By: Posco

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
How I would react depends on where I got the news on this...Fox or CNN. Then I'd have to guess if it was real or not.

Lol! True.
Posted By: rex123

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 04:33 PM

Part of the population would say it was a government trick , part would be excited, and part would scream the anti Christ is here. And while we were fighting among ourselves they would be doing what ever they really came here for and humoring a lower life form.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 04:42 PM

James, are you really bored or something?
Kinda seems like it.:)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 04:46 PM

No matter the time, the place, the people.... all are fascinated by the spiritual. wink
Of course they are.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: teepee2

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 05:06 PM

Well if I was "first contact" I'd have them beam up the world leaders so they had a good look at earth. Then ask them what the heck are they going to do about it. Then tell them and bad actors get sent to the nearest black hole.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mad_mike
I would hand you over and call it good. They wouldn’t bother to return.

Bahahaha.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
Part of the population would say it was a government trick , part would be excited, and part would scream the anti Christ is here. And while we were fighting among ourselves they would be doing what ever they really came here for and humoring a lower life form.

Tru-dat!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 05:35 PM

I'd give them the names and addy's of all the religious leaders on the planet!
Posted By: nightlife

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 07:36 PM

Jim

Wouldn’t be good just look at the examples of where a more advanced society has made contact with a less advanced one even with no ill intentions it has always turned out bad for the less advanced one
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 10:38 PM

Jim

Let’s reflect a bit... In known history when has this ever not destroyed the home team? Neil Young had a song Cortez the Killer check it out. Anyway, what would Tecumseh say? Or Boudica? “It’ll be fine, let’s trust them.”
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 10:53 PM

I take it you mean this,

[Linked Image]

And not this,

[Linked Image]

First they would need to find us interesting enough but in regards to you question I think tommy lee jones said it best in men in black,

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: First contact - 09/03/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R

He is.

Great call.
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by ND FTA
[/quote]

Can you imagine light years with that guy? Are we there yet? Where are we going? Are we there yet? How far is it? Are we there yet? Do you believe in God? Blah blah blah... After he asked the same questions 20 times, 20 different ways, they would just toss him out their version of a waste disposal system.

ND FTA^^^^^^ this.. you nailed it !!!
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 12:59 AM

Jim

Firstly.... The lack of reading comprehension on here astounds me sometimes.

1) I'm not sure how it would affect me.

2) I think it could advance our society. Especially if they are peaceful. If they have the intelligence and technology to get here we could learn a lot from them.

3) Unless they try to take over I don't think it would affect them much. There would probably some in the political realm that would try to use them for their own gain.

4) My faith would not be affected.

5) For some it would reaffirm their belief that God is grand designer of the universe.

6) Of Course you're going to have those that are going to go to the dark side of things.
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 01:52 AM

[quote=James]Suppose an alien spacecraft arrived and communicated peaceful intentions. How would it affect your life?

Jim

sorta depends on their 'peaceful intentions' are they going to share their advanced knowledge or not. if so then our lives would change quite a bit.
Maybe, hopefully, they'd tell humanity to knock off this petty bickering

I would hope we'd erase all of the fictitious boundaries we have placed upon ourselves, when you look at the planet from space you don't see country "boundaries" you see terrain.

Call them whatever you want, if they exist some are going to modify their beliefs, or lack thereof.

The bible is clear the heavens and Earth were created by God, for his divine purpose, not so clear as to what else he may have created.
After a good rest on the seventh day maybe God got after it again, and again.
If we are God's children, why can't we have siblings?

But you've got other issues. Space itself is expanding faster than the speed of light and our physics dictate that one cannot exceed the speed of light. So unless physics itself is different in different regions of the universe, they may not be able to ever get here.
Posted By: Wife

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 02:32 AM

I'm going to be a little more direct than the others Jim.................... YOU GOTTA GET OUT OF THE CABIN MORE!!!!!!! the mike
Posted By: rex123

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 02:43 AM

At Cern a neutrino beam has gone faster than light. Just a few nano seconds but still faster. So given time it may be possible on a larger scale.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
I take it you mean this,

[Linked Image]

And not this,

[Linked Image]

First they would need to find us interesting enough but in regards to you question I think tommy lee jones said it best in men in black,

[Linked Image]

Well, if they came down tomorrow and zapped the White House I reckon I would shake their hands.

Mike
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 04:38 AM

Jim, you're a little late. They are already here. I cannot think of any other rational way to explain how Commander Nitwit and his handlers have seized power, and mishandled everything which they have touched in such a short amount of time.
Rather than writing fiction, maybe you should consider writing a documentary. I'd read it.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 07:00 AM

There still is a fellowship of Alaskan forum members. They are mostly on the wilderness forum. They too are not happy with direction this country is taking. Why don’t you post there, Jim?
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: First contact - 09/04/21 11:30 PM

Well mike you got me there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums