Home

Huge catch this year?

Posted By: ILcooner

Huge catch this year? - 09/28/21 09:43 PM

lots of trappers hanging it up with low fur prices for a few years now, crops coming out early around here, seeing good numbers of coon on backroads at night and roadkills

What do you guys think.... could this be a huge year for those who hit it hard?

Maybe the Iowa guy on youtube gets 2000 this year! cool

I know I am picking up some more DP traps this year
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/28/21 10:30 PM

good luck and have fun
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/28/21 10:42 PM

I hope to catch 50 coons this season. That'd be big-timing it for me.
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 04:34 AM

I hope to catch 1
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 04:38 AM

Iowa Trapper will get them this year.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 10:45 AM

I'm going to set for a few more. There are ao many around its crazy and some are absolutely huge. Dont have very many rats on my line so ill just take some coon on side while coyote trapping to help pay for gas. Coon peel fairly easy. Got one landowner who farms sweet corn and he has asked me to please take all the coon I can on his place.
Jim
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 11:23 AM

I’ll do my usual 100 +or-. I’m seeing the same as JabNE. We cut a pivot of corn the other day that had 100-150 in it. I don’t even want to think about how much corn they ate. I don’t typically coon trap that area but I am this season.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 11:41 AM

Yeah its not about the prices for me this year.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 02:09 PM

I doubt coon well ever recover alot , more the same with prices, possibly no fur markets someday , dwindling in some items
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
I doubt coon well ever recover alot , more the same with prices, possibly no fur markets someday , dwindling in some items

Chin up coonman! Maybe full length coon jackets will be all the rage again
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 03:33 PM

I'm waiting for the distemper to kick in. It has to be coming soon.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 03:43 PM

Cmon man! Don't always be a downer! Glass is half full.

Trapping is about a lot more than a fur check for most of us.
Posted By: IowaTrapper

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 04:38 PM

I'm gonna go out and hit it as hard as I can, just like I do every year!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 04:46 PM

Fur market will take off like a rocket.
All the yuppies will need real fur to keep warm sitting in their electric cars waiting for the batteries to charge.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 05:03 PM

Don't have to worry about coons, haven't caught one or seen a track, in 12 years.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dstone1992
I'm waiting for the distemper to kick in. It has to be coming soon.

X2
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 05:15 PM

I'm still recovering from trapping muskrats 3 yrs ago......driving 30 miles each way to the marsh. Caught 180 rats and still lost money! Sure was fun though and always a learning experience.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 05:27 PM

I usually average 300-350 coon per season.................but not this year......gonna be tough to sell em......i'm just gonna have fun and tan ......make some stuff.

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 05:39 PM

I have found a few more markets then last year, and more importantly they are more reliable, so I knoe I'll be in the black and hopefully hit it harder harder ever before.

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 05:54 PM

I wouldn't be trapping if just for profits, I just say that I be very surprised if coon ever get better on prices for pelts, Russia uses some other material use no or lol liners out coon, about only customer is china an very cheap prices be continue pay there , if go up which I doubt anytime soon, very little , I bet lot money that you never see above $15 average on coon, I doubt ever be close that , green coon this season, $2-$3, maybe $4 on exceptional ones , carcass coon, zero to $1, if I was a buyer an someone brought over 50 coon on first day , on carcass, about $40 bucks is all I go
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 06:08 PM

I wouldn't be trapping if just for profits, I just say that I be very surprised if coon ever get better on prices for pelts, Russia uses some other material use no or lol liners out coon, about only customer is china an very cheap prices be continue pay there , if go up which I doubt anytime soon, very little , I bet lot money that you never see above $15 average on coon, I doubt ever be close that , green coon this season, $2-$3, maybe $4 on exceptional ones , carcass coon, zero to $1, if I was a buyer an someone brought over 50 coon on first day , on carcass, about $40 bucks is all I go

I know $15 is a lot of money to you, but to almost everyone else in the world it’s nothing. $15 average on Raccoon is not anything crazy at all! Good thing you’re not a fur buyer.

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 08:29 PM

Dave you really need to find a way to look at things in more of a positive way, when times are tough it's important to find something that you enjoy, take the money aspect out of it, and just enjoy it, whether thst be trapping a few furs, dancing, stamp collection, doesn't matter, just enjoy it. Life's to short to worry about everything all the time, take 10 minutes a night and enjoy the sunset or sunrise.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 09:22 PM

What are the bio-diesel guys paying for coon fat?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

I know $15 is a lot of money to you, but to almost everyone else in the world it’s nothing. $15 average on Raccoon is not anything crazy at all! Good thing you’re not a fur buyer.

$15 is a years pay to most of the world's population!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob

You believe that?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/29/21 11:23 PM

I will put up coons if they are in canine sets and are big. I don't think I will set traps targeting them. Unless there is some promising news before season starts. I do hope to nail a bunch of coyotes though.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/30/21 12:35 AM

Well the return of long fur markets has to come from some other region of the world. We have put extra trillions into the hands of 330 million Americans and all we have gotten out of this is higher energy costs, booming housing market that is waaayyy over valued and really expensive used cars and trucks and a lot of ammo and firearm sales. Not hardly a cent of that toward fur from what I see. We just spend more on what we bought before and not much out of that range. When the other nations find what they really want to value they may buy less fur too.

Bryce
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/30/21 12:52 AM

I didn’t trap last year for the first time in a very long time. This was due to extremely low red fox prices and a couple of markets drying up.

In previous seasons when I was working out of state and couldn’t hit it hard the red Fox population exploded the following season in my area. I’m sure that has happened again. I have to get out there and do my part before mother nature sends mange, distemper and/or Parvovirus through the population and wipes them out.

I will be setting for doubles, triples and maybe even the elusive quadruple catches this season.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/30/21 01:15 AM

I know $15 is a lot of money to you, but to almost everyone else in the world it’s nothing.

JP, you need to get out and tour the world more, and get off the beaten path. There's probably about 3-4 billion people in the world that would grab and eat every can of Klick (or whatever you call the Can version of Spam) you can throw at them. I'm not saying you need to feed them but just understand your position vis-a-vis a majority of the people who are alive on this rock...

Re: Huge catch this year? - 09/30/21 03:20 AM

No $15 is not lot money but it be nice if coon were half that on average
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Huge catch this year? - 10/01/21 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Originally Posted by BigBob

You believe that?

It's more than he will make trapping coon. There's one. smile

Just to help you out.

"Nearly Half the World Lives on Less than $5.50 a Day "

"The share of the world’s population living in extreme poverty fell to 10 percent in 2015"

world population about 7.8 billion.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums