Home

Losing a good knife is like,,,,

Posted By: Anonymous

Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 04:28 AM

Getting kicked in the wheels. I left my old sharp finger on the back bumper after skinning out a few squirrels. Got home ,looked down at the empty sheath on the seat and I knew right away what I done. I couldn't count the number of vermin I've skinned with that old Schrade over the years but it is a lot. I hear the new ones are made over seas so that's out. Is the sharp finger still one of the best blade designs for an all purpose skinner? I think it may be. Rip old buddy unless someone found it on the road, then, I hope it brings them years of use.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 04:51 AM

I did that too on a very good one years ago. I regret loosing it every time I think of it. To this day I cannot remember how I lost it. Like you, all I have is the leather sheath it resided in.

I have other very good knives, but I loved this one also....
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 05:08 AM

I can't count the number of knives I've found at the bird ranches I used to trap at, seems like every where there was stump high enough or a clear flat area large enough, I'd pick up a knife some one dropped or miss placed.

Amazing to me that one would be so careless with them, some of them I know were expensive steel, it's a wonder there were not shotguns leaning on every tree !!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 08:49 AM

Was trapping some blm out west with a buddy. Stopped to take a leak. Later buddy remember he had left his brand new, stainless steel, ruger single action 10 shot revolver on the bumper. We found tracks where the pistol had been. Take a mental picture of the tire prints and started following. About an hour later we caught up to them. I think my buddy may be the luckiest man alive . We stopped and called out to them. First thing out the passengers mouth was did you drop a pistol?
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 01:21 PM

It really is the worst losing a good knife.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bleeohio
Getting kicked in the wheels. I left my old sharp finger on the back bumper after skinning out a few squirrels. Got home ,looked down at the empty sheath on the seat and I knew right away what I done. I couldn't count the number of vermin I've skinned with that old Schrade over the years but it is a lot. I hear the new ones are made over seas so that's out. Is the sharp finger still one of the best blade designs for an all purpose skinner? I think it may be. Rip old buddy unless someone found it on the road, then, I hope it brings them years of use.

I lost a knife a few months ago. Wasn't an old well loved knife as I only had had it about a week, lol. Had just bought it in the trapshed, went out scouting for trapping, had to pee, and it must have fell out of my pocket then. Ticked me off lol.

For fixed blade knives, I like the Case Hunter series. But, a Case Ridgeback might be closer to the one you lost.
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 01:47 PM

I understand. I have two Schrader fingers. One of them I found about 6 or 7 years ago. It was in bad shape but it looks not too bad now.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 01:50 PM

I would have back tracked looking all the way

I have found several things that way, even tools that fell off the ATV in the pasture
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 01:55 PM

I lost a hunting knife that I received as a gift when I was a kid on a back pack elk trip years ago. But as luck would have it found the dang thing when we packed back out a week later. Still have it. Over 40 years old.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 02:03 PM

Lost the knife in the pic in Oct 2019. My favorite, a custom knife I had bought at a gun show in Charlotte NC back in the 90's. After getting the pronghorn to the road and my truck, I broke it down and put it on ice in my cooler. While cleaning up and putting stuff away I put the knife in my daypack but didn't zip the pocket. Heard something hit the ground when putting the pack in my truck but couldn't see anything so I dismissed it. When I got home and couldn't find the knife I knew what had happened. Somebody got a great knife.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 02:30 PM

Maybe it will show up again.

I once left an engraved Zippo® lighter on the dash of a boat while pulling a water skier. That was gone...wrote it off. The next year I found it while snorkeling looking for fish. Good luck.

Then, again, my favorite hunting knife is one that I found half under the snow on the shoulder of a road. Thanks, to the poor soul that made that contribution.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 05:04 PM

I found shotgun leaning against stump. After thinking awhile i called fellow i knew hunted area years back. It was his and was he happy.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 05:10 PM

Dropped my favorite pocket knife in a beaver pond. Had to land in the silver up area instead of I the run. Gone.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 05:43 PM

Good news is u can buy used one ebay that is still USA made. Was looking at the some of that very model the other day. Great knife
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 06:12 PM

I tell this to people all the time.

Never , never, ever put a tool on the bumper. You will forget it and lose it.

Over the years I have found close to 100 tools in the road. Some junk some real nice stuff. I call them 'road kill ' tools. They are usually found near bumps or sharp turns.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 06:38 PM

I cruise a couple thousand miles of back dirt roads every summer working on snakes. I'm usually at about 10-15 mph with my eyes glued to the roadbed. It's amazing to me the knives, cell phones, misc. tools, etc., that people lose along these back roads. I've not bought a folding pocket knife for 50 years, and I've given away dozens that I come across.

Jack
Posted By: danvee

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 06:44 PM

I found a buck on a road and about 10 years later noticed initials on the bolster of the knife advertised it in the papers and found the owner, only knife I ever found but lost at least a half dozen. I lost one in Canada this year that was very special for a lot of reasons doubt I will ever get it back but plan to fish there again next year never know.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bleeohio

I have a couple old Sharp Sharp Finger Schrades, I hear you on quality. But I also have bought my grandsons Schrade Sharp Fingers, real Schrades with leather sheaths not the copies with nylon sheaths, and am satisfied with the steel and sharpening. Not sure of origin, it only says Schrade on the blade with a number. I would sure miss and cry over my Buck 110.....
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 08:27 PM

[quote=bleeohio]Getting kicked in the wheels. I left my old sharp finger on the back bumper after skinning out a few squirrels. Got home ,looked down at the empty sheath on the seat and I knew right away what I done. I couldn't count the number of vermin I've skinned with that old Schrade over the years but it is a lot. I hear the new ones are made over seas so that's out. Is the sharp finger still one of the best blade designs for an all purpose skinner? I think it may be. Rip old buddy unless someone found it on the road, then, I hope it brings them years use.

Send me your info and pay the postage and I will send you a Guns & Anmo edition USA Schrade Sharp Finger knife only no sheath. Needs serious cleaning but should clean up fine.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 08:34 PM

I left a Dunn knife at a moose gut pile in Newfoundland in 2012. Didn’t realize I lost it till I got home. I went back to hunt in 2014, with the same guide. We were hunting the same hilltop lookout, and called in a good bull. After I killed it, I asked my guide if we could look for the lost knife. We had built a fire to cook lunch at the 2012 kill site, found where the fire was, and after a short look, I found the knife.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 09:04 PM

I like the idea of the sharpfinger, just didn't like the way the grind of it was amd had to reprofile it.

Never lost a knife in the field, but have broken a few...
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 10:09 PM

Almost like getting a divorce !
You never forget it .
Can't ever replace it .

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/25/21 11:11 PM

I did look for it, bout an hours worth of driving. I just hope it didn"t get in someones tire. Over the years i've lost a few knives but i'm more mad at myself for laying it on the bumper. Rookie move.
cmcf, i'll gladly pay you for it. It'll save me from having to deal with the auction site. thanks

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/26/21 01:11 AM

I feel your pain. Lost an old timer I had owned for over 20 years this summer. It had skinned many a deer. I started putting it on my belt this summer baling hay, after I lost my pocket knife. It came in handy until I used it to cut some net wrap off a roller on baler and left it laying. I drove all over the field looking for it, never turned up
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/26/21 03:02 AM

yup lost one of my favorites , luckily I still had the sheath , I ordered another blank , I just need to get around to making another.

I have a good guess it is on an Island on the Wisconsin River

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/26/21 03:18 AM

Man, the way it sounds, we should be tripping over all the blades we've lost. Was talking to a trapping buddy of mine about this and he told me he mounted a magnet rail like used in kitchens in the bed of his truck. He does a lot of tailgate skinning and said he just makes sure if he lays his knife down, he puts it on the magnet. Almost sounds like a plan.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/27/21 03:53 AM

Now you have an excuse to make a sharpfinger from scratch. You won't need a forge. Just get some hard steel and grind off whatever doesn't look like a knife. You'll need to dip it in water often so you don't ruin the steel. A deer antler handle sure would look nice on it.
I am a big fan of the shape of that knife. I wish I could find where I left mine...

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/27/21 04:15 AM

Carl, my son and I watch forged in fire all the time. There's been more than a few conversations on getting setup to do it. If nothing else, it would give us some memory making as much as knife making.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/27/21 06:46 AM

here is a blank for a sharp finger , just cut some scales and finish it www.applecartcreations.com/products/jeff-white-blank-42

here is another similar blank different handle style https://knivesandknifemaking.com/pr...nives_hunting_small_making_wguard121.php
blanks are a great way to get started knife building with just some simple tools
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/27/21 01:48 PM

Was cutting cat tails in a swamp for our duck blind.Dropped my Buck 102.Couldnt find it.Made me very sad.Carried that knife for years.Replaced it the next day.Been carring that one for 32 years now. smile
Posted By: eric space

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/27/21 06:21 PM

My Dad received a Kbar for his 12th birthday. He carried that knife hunting for 80 years. Used it on hunting trips from Point Barrow to Texas. Last December he shot a buck here on the farm. At the age of 92 he gutted it out but called my nephew to drag it to his vehicle. Lost the knife!! A week later a friend of mine showed up with a metal detector and we were able to find it. Brought tears to Dad's eyes. Little over a month later Dad died, I slipped the Kbar in his casket with him. This is the first time I have told anybody I did that.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/27/21 07:07 PM

I'm glad y'all found it for him and that he got to take it with him. Never lost a knife myself, but I've handed them to my dad for 5 minutes and they've entered whatever black hole he drops things in.

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/27/21 08:32 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss Eric, glad you found the knife. May he RIP.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Losing a good knife is like,,,, - 11/28/21 03:00 AM

Lost my favorite Case XX trapper in the hole it made in my pocket ..
Haven't found another that held an edge like it since .
Have had 4 stolen over the years , but none were as good as that Case XX Trapper .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums