Home

Favorite USA coin?

Posted By: run

Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:04 PM

I know that there is some coin collectors on this forum. What are some of the more special coins to collect? PM me if you are feeling shy. Thank you for your time. My favorite is one of the Ohio State quarters called Perry's victory. You know, celebrating the USA victory of the War of 1812.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:06 PM

I thought the Sacajawea coin was cool even there's no value.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:07 PM

I like the old Silver Dollars myself.I like the looks of them and I like the feel of them.I even like the sound of them when you toss them on a table. smile

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
I like the old Silver Dollars myself.I like the looks of them and I like the feel of them.I even like the sound of them when you toss them on a table. smile

I like silver dollars too. But they can be a little hard to find in my limited experience.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:18 PM

Anything made by Augustus Saint Gaudins
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:18 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mole

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:26 PM

Indian Head Penny, Steel Penny , Buffalo Nickle

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by CaseXX Collector

Can you please tell me more? I'm not familiar with the name.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:33 PM

I like the liberty dime.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:49 PM

St Gaudinaswas a sculptor who designed the iconic $20 double eagle gold coin in circulation in the early 1900s among others

My favorite USA coin is anything with silver in it. More precisely the Mercury dime

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/KnzUdWksGoJkcMnZ7[/img]

Second place is any of the America the Beautiful series quarters struck in silver.

Frankly I think Canada and Mexico made the coolest silver coins.

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
St Gaudinaswas a sculptor who designed the iconic $20 double eagle gold coin in circulation in the early 1900s among others

My favorite USA coin is anything with silver in it. More precisely the Mercury dime

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/KnzUdWksGoJkcMnZ7[/img]

Second place is any of the America the Beautiful series quarters struck in silver.

Frankly I think Canada and Mexico made the coolest silver coins.

Thank you, Steven 49er.

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by run

Can you please tell me more? I'm not familiar with the name.

The 20 Gold st. Gaud. May be the one he is most known for, but he made others. The same design appears on the half oz. gold, quarter oz. gold, tenth oz. gold.

You can google his name and see the designs, they are pretty much the standard all others strive to attain. Both for their beauty as well the Patriotic symbolism. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 01:23 PM

Franklin half dollar was always my favorite because I was always drawn to Ben Franklin when I was a kid. I like the Indian head penny and Buffalo nickel too
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 01:32 PM

I kinda like the liberty series coins. They include the seated liberty, standing liberty, and walking liberty.
Posted By: corky

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 01:33 PM

Mercury dime
Posted By: waggler

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 01:38 PM

Buffalo nickel
Posted By: Clemke

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 01:42 PM

It's hard for me to say because I collect such a wide variety of coins but I really liked either shortly before wartime Nickles or shortly after I have a few and I think they look really cool. But I also like my 1964 silver quarters that was quite a find one time. None of the stuff is worth much I just enjoy having them.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 02:24 PM

Seeing as you can still find them. I lke collecting wheat pennies.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 02:28 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 02:48 PM

I don’t collect as a rule but those I have found metal detecting I keep separate in a glass jar.

Have quite a few wheat pennies, a couple of Indian head pennies, quite a few silver coins from old
Dimes and quarters up to the 64 ones, a few Silver dollars, some old nickels too

I get them out every time some one is interested in coins when family is together, cause I am
The oldest most young people never have seen any of them, don’t even know what any may
Be worth !!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

Walking Liberty Half Dollar.Got one in front of me right now.My wife uses it to scratch lottery tickets with. smile
Posted By: charles

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 03:21 PM

I need a 1916D Mercury dime to finish that collection. Hard to find a good one under $650.
Posted By: isaacsbees

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 03:22 PM

I'm a big fan of the Kennedy half-dollar which I believe just started being minted again for general circulation, though the new ones don't contain any silver. I have lots of the old 90/10s.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 04:01 PM

Morgans
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 04:03 PM

WW2 steel wheat penny
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 04:36 PM

Morgan’s and steel pennys
Posted By: Pressure9pa

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
WW2 steel wheat penny

I only collect what I find in circulation, ie I don't buy coins. I did find two steel pennies on the ground in a puddle while pumping gas last winter.
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 05:26 PM

I agree with waggler, the buffalo nickel is a real nice coin and the currently minted gold 50.00 (1 ounce) buffalo coin is a great looking near copy. The gold coin is attainable directly from the mint or from most decent coin shops. The walking liberty half dollar pictured above has often been selected as America's most beautiful coin.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 05:34 PM

I would love to have an Oregon gold beaver $5 or $10 coin. Only thought to be about 50 in existence. They were minted by Oregon's provisional government in 1849 with California gold. When Oregon became a state the federal government required them to be surrendered and melted down in Denver.

The last record of one selling was in 2015 for $227,000.
Posted By: deerfly

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 05:43 PM

I received this from my grandfather, as I was his first grandchild. I'll likely pass it along the same way when I have my first, in a few decades hopefully!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by charles
I need a 1916D Mercury dime to finish that collection. Hard to find a good one under $650.

My dad left me his coin. Collection....has a little of everything...Morgan's too...I'll.have to look...it's been 20 years since I've looked at them
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 08:04 PM

My bucket list coin to find is a Seated Liberty, any denomination. Too many cool coins to choose from. My oldest detector find with a date is 1787 Fugio large cent.
Posted By: Camohoyt340

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/30/21 09:15 PM

I’m partial to the Franklin half dollar. It’s silver, not too expensive and Franklin holds a special place in my mind. After all, he did want the turkey as the National bird.

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by isaacsbees
I'm a big fan of the Kennedy half-dollar which I believe just started being minted again for general circulation, though the new ones don't contain any silver. I have lots of the old 90/10s.

Kennedy half dollars were minted for circulation through 2001 except for 1987 which only a few million were made. Beginning in 2002 half dollars have been minted each year four collectors sets. A person can get them in either clad, clad proof, or silver proof. I believe the last couple years they are even offering them and 99.9% silver.

A person can somewhat regularly find the new ones and circulation as the ones that get used up and collector set get sent into circulation. If I had to guess they make two to three million a year plus or minus

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Originally Posted by isaacsbees

Kennedy half dollars were minted for circulation through 2001 except for 1987 which only a few million were made. Beginning in 2002 half dollars have been minted each year four collectors sets. A person can get them in either clad, clad proof, or silver proof. I believe the last couple years they are even offering them and 99.9% silver.

A person can somewhat regularly find the new ones and circulation as the ones that get used up and collector set get sent into circulation. If I had to guess they make two to three million a year plus or minus

Thank you for the info, Steven.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 02:07 AM

I’m a fan of the Kennedy half dollar also.

And the Eisenhower dollar coin.

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 02:08 AM

49'er thanks. As long as you're here someone can help, I can't keep up this one finger typing much longer. And your a veteran they will listen to not a newbie like me. Thanks.
Me

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 02:14 AM

49er, you get the newest mint release pamphlet yet? Last one I got was aprx. 9....10 months ago?
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 03:10 AM

Morgan silver dollars for me. Big, heavy, make that music when you drop in on bar when you tell the barkeep, "Whiskey, and leave the bottle."
Posted By: Marty

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 03:33 AM

the biden .05 cent piece....a new low in currency.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 03:57 AM

Franklin half dollar, Buffalo nickel, standing liberty Quarter

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 12/31/21 04:01 AM

49er, you get the newest mint release pamphlet yet? Last one I got was aprx. 9....10 months ago?

No I have not
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/03/22 02:05 AM

Bump

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/03/22 02:15 AM

anything made of gold works for me....

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/03/22 02:16 AM

anything made of gold works for me....

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/03/22 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I thought the Sacajawea coin was cool even there's no value.

Me too! [Linked Image]
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/03/22 12:03 PM

I like the Ben Franklin silver '.50 cent coin . The feel of it weight wise and the sound of it is more like music than noise to me . And he was a very important person in the founding of the USA. Perhaps the most important when came down to making the whole process work He was the straw that stirred the drink.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/03/22 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

One of my favorites too. I have a very nice uncirculated one with beautiful patina.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/03/22 07:47 PM

I’m really fond of the Standing Liberty quarter.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/03/22 11:41 PM

man this place is boring without coonman!! grin
Posted By: Boco

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/04/22 12:01 AM

Not USA but I like this coin.

Its what we do.

[Linked Image]

The Fur trade.

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/04/22 12:44 AM

I have a few of those Robert, love my Canadian silver coins.

[Linked Image]

The 1958 totem is probably my favorite Canadian silver I own.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/04/22 12:51 AM

The Kennedy 1964 silver half dollar is my favorite. Good year too.

Chris
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/04/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Not USA but I like this coin.

Its what we do.

[Linked Image]

The Fur trade.

That one is very cool.

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/04/22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner
man this place is boring without coonman!! grin

grin
Posted By: charles

Re: Favorite USA coin? - 07/04/22 04:00 PM

Wish I could afford a good 1916D dime to complete that set. Only minted 216,000 of them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums