Home

Beaver trapping in Siberia

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 07:47 PM

A new member of Trapperman, who is from Siberia, posted a video on the International Trappers forum of him trapping beavers there. I can't understand what he's saying, but I do recognize what he's doing.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7451454/beaver-hunting#Post7451454
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 08:23 PM

Just watched the video, good stuff!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 08:54 PM

Yes...much different than I had Siberia pictured!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 09:18 PM

A few thoughts I had as I watched the video:

1. If I drank a fifth of vodka an hour prior...would I understand what he's saying?
2.. Won't be long and he'll be joining our world famous 330 club
3. Won't be long and he'll have those waders filled with water
4. What is the obsession with covering his trap chain with mud all about?
5. And finally, I wish he would have showed how he removes the 330 from a trapped beaver. I would like to see if he does it by hand or with assistance of a setting device.

It was fun to watch!
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 09:23 PM

The body grips are a lot bigger than we use .
Very interesting seeing a different area in the world .
Welcome to Trapperman .
Posted By: Boco

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 09:25 PM

2,3 and 4 here too,BP,lol.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 09:41 PM

Wish I could give him a pair of gauntlets. That’s the way I started out, barehanding everything!
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 09:42 PM

I noticed the chain configuration. Reminds me of chain used on furnace dampers of older furnaces. He used a magnum body grip also. Good video of actual setting for bvr that alot of bvr trappers can associate with.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 09:53 PM

I wondered about handling the 330s that way too. Only takes once. An ice bath at best!
I was a slow learner about wading into water without pulling up my waders.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 10:05 PM

Interesting.That weak looking chain looks like a good way to have to go looking for your trap. smile
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Wish I could give him a pair of gauntlets. That’s the way I started out, barehanding everything!

I never did wear gauntlets.

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I wondered about handling the 330s that way too. Only takes once.

I never used a safety when setting 330s and never joined that club, well except that one time I got whacked on the foot - lol.

I found it interesting seeing someone so far from here catching beavers similar to how we do it. I'm wondering if those body grips are Russian made or are some that got imported from US. I've been discussing beaver trapping with another Russian, and that person got some TS-85s and uses Bridger 3s.

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 11:09 PM

I've never used safetys either. Never will. I am the presiding president of the club though. grin
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
A few thoughts I had as I watched the video:

1. If I drank a fifth of vodka an hour prior...would I understand what he's saying?
2.. Won't be long and he'll be joining our world famous 330 club
3. Won't be long and he'll have those waders filled with water
4. What is the obsession with covering his trap chain with mud all about?
5. And finally, I wish he would have showed how he removes the 330 from a trapped beaver. I would like to see if he does it by hand or with assistance of a setting device.

It was fun to watch!

Agree!
Posted By: trapper_85

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 11:15 PM

Im waiting for yotetrapper to provide us with a translation. Anyone who can translate coonman220 will have the only chance for us to know what the gentleman is saying.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 11:19 PM

I've never used safetys either. Never will. I am the presiding president of the club though. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 11:19 PM

He uses a lot f care to hide his traps and chain and cover his foot prints. I wonder if he isn't dealing with a lot of thieves.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 11:46 PM

Welcome... It is nice to others around the world that pursue the same interests we do. Great video... very clear and none of that noisy loud music in background so many of them in this county have. When I watch a video I watch to learn something not to come to dance.

Garry-

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/05/22 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
He uses a lot f care to hide his traps and chain and cover his foot prints. I wonder if he isn't dealing with a lot of thieves.

Exactly.I remember going out of my way to hide traps back in the early 80s,,not from critters,,from Jonny Sneakum.I was thinking the same thing when I saw that.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 12:27 AM

If he's importing traps, id imagine they have a hefty price tag compared to what we pay so keeping low profile would be a big plus.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 12:36 AM

very cool

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 12:36 AM

Pretty hard to hide beaver trapping activity,lol.
Footholds would be the only chance to hide it,and if the theiving creep had trapped before,he would know where to look.
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 12:44 AM

Like to see these kind of videos of different parts of the country doing the same thing as we do in the U.S.A.. Neat Conibears.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 12:48 AM

There are several other clips where they set Bridger 330's and the USSR trap,they show a USSR safety clip and what looks like a USA safety.
That was a what 22.8 kg or 50 pounder

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by trapper_85
Im waiting for yotetrapper to provide us with a translation. Anyone who can translate coonman220 will have the only chance for us to know what the gentleman is saying.

My daughter has been learning the Russian language off and on since her college years 20 years ago. I sent the video to her for translation. She is pretty rusty but here is what she said:

“ i don't really know hunting words, but most of what he says is pretty simple, I got the gist. Tje first thing he says is "hi everyone" and he just says he brought us to another place to set traps, it's a big place for beavers, i'm going to set, etc stuff like that. not exact translation. And at the end he's just talking to himself, saying "i don't see anything" "there might be one, we'll see" and he keeps talking about how it's a good one after he pulls it out.
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 01:07 AM

I didn’t know they had a beaver population.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Footholds would be the only chance to hide it,and if the theiving creep had trapped before,he would know where to look.

Open water is easy to hide. Not so much under ice.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 01:44 AM

Cool video. My wife speaks Croatian it's very similar to Russian I will see if she can understand lol
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/06/22 10:38 AM

welcome
Posted By: KOSOI

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/07/22 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

If he's importing traps, id imagine they have a hefty price tag compared to what we pay so keeping low profile would be a big plus.

disagree with you. traps in Russia are cheaper than yours https://k-prom.ru/katalog/kapkanyi/
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/07/22 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Exactly
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/07/22 11:25 AM

That's a cool little video. Enjoyed it.

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/08/22 02:06 AM

I wonder if those are Castor fiber or canadensis?
Posted By: Tatiana

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 06:50 AM

I wonder if those are Castor fiber or canadensis?

We only have Castor fiber here, the type subspecies from European Russia that was reintroduced here from a beaver farm near Voronezh a few decades ago and has been spreading since. Beavers were not a common sight 20 years ago but they are literally everywhere now. They're spreading eastwards actively, and their presence is now a threat to the small remaining population of the Tuva beaver (ssp. tuvinicus) one of the two Siberian subspecies, for some reason they are less robust and only live along a couple of smaller rivers in Tuva, which is adjacent to Mongolia. It's the same with the West Siberian beaver (ssp. pohlei), a distinct, pale-colored northern subspecies limited to the river Sosva basin on the eastern slope of the Urals, which is now threatened by introgression from the introduced European subspecies. There are some C. canadensis in northern European Russia, near the Finnish border, but none here in Siberia (yet).

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 07:15 AM

Why is the beaver fur not used or not wanted in Russia?
here in Northern Canada it is in high demand for hats and mitts especially by native people.It is warm and the leather is durable. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 10:24 AM

Nice fur Boco
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 01:54 PM

Are the “fiber and Tuva” beaver similar in size with candanenis species?
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
very cool

X2
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 03:04 PM

Looks like he is in desperate need of a potato hook!!

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Redknot
Looks like he is in desperate need of a potato hook!!

Any beaver trapper worth his salt has a potato rake smile

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 04:02 PM

Thank you Tatiana for your run down on the various species and sub-species in Siberia. I'm always fascinated with these things.

Many North American trappers do not realize that we too have many different subspecies of C. canadensis. In Oregon there is a rare sub-species of beaver: C. canadensis (ssp idoneus) that is slightly smaller, darker furred and silkier. Just a small population was discovered living around tide water on our northern coast. An effort was made in the late 1930's to live trap and transplant to other locations on the coast where beaver were absent.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 04:14 PM

Interesting.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 04:30 PM

I thought potato rakes.

were just for Southern trappers....I've never carried one
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Beaver trapping in Siberia - 01/10/22 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
I thought potato rakes.

were just for Southern trappers....I've never carried one

Same, figured they only used them for moving water moccasins out of their way. laugh
© 2024 Trapperman Forums