Home

Coyote calling tips, vocals

Posted By: HOYT archery

Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/28/22 11:10 PM

Hey everyone,

I plan to spend some time calling this weekend in an area I didn't get to trap. Since it's love season for the coyotes, I thought using some howls and vocals would be effective. But really I have little experience with this type of calling.

If you have any tips, or methods that work for you please share. I know I could use the help. My Fox Pro is full of different howls, yodels, male female challenge howls. However, I'm not sure when or why to use the different vocals.

What would you use ?

Thanks for the help
Posted By: Range

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 12:05 AM

https://youtu.be/OpE6UxzHLDQ[/video]
Rabbits are food grin
Posted By: e4mo

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 12:34 AM

I agree with Tank the coyote.

I start with rabbit distress on low volume. Sometimes is seems like coyotes just pop up out of the ground when they hear a bunny dying.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 12:39 AM

^^^ rabbit squeals maybe later pup fights 15- 20 minutes silence they know where you are female barks occasional howl you may luck out depending on ground covered but it's like having a big buck come out every time you're on stand
Its dead around here guys drive out in a field turn on Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass expecting a dozen 100 dollar yotes to run out maybe in a year or two it'll be better
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 12:49 AM

Whatever they have heard the least. Lol Around here most coyotes still standing have the fox pro sounds memorized by now

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 01:16 AM

Yep, rabbit distress can call in coyotes. I know that and have done that plenty. I'm hoping to do something the coyotes haven't heard most of the fall / winter.

Thanks Jeff, I'll try that, and see how it goes. What your saying makes sense. I rattle in some nice bucks, sometimes they get arrowed. But none of that happens all the time.

Yes sir, I'm sure the coyotes have heard a lot. I hope to maybe find a twist that is different, just enough to come take a look.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 05:50 AM

pup fights, cat fights and fox fights work well here when they have been hunted by every tom dick and harry from three counties. Any combination of the fighters will work well also.

If you have it, chickens in distress works at times too.

If you try the howls IMO It would male challenge. Or the obvious, female invitation. I myself have never had much luck with yote vocals except to locate them.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 05:21 PM

Defintely the johny stewart hunters specialties estrus whimper mouth call
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 06:39 PM

The past few years when I've been calling in proximity of farms , " feline in distress " has been super productive . Don't start off with anything else. No rabbits, rodents, or vocalizations . Use a careful approach to the site, get set-up and settled , and start with that sound on about a medium/high volume ( your area may differ ). Seems like even if they aren't particularly hungry, they still love getting in on killing a cat .
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 07:16 PM

They are always hungry ! I stopped using howls any where near civilization years ago, or any standard call as well.

When the bounty was introduced here, it turned everyone into a professional caller, only thing is they never did know what they were doing but educating dogs, sorry thing it's still in place and dogs have gone silent and if you breath wrong you are caught.

Just be different, but not over bearing, and they are always hungry !!
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 01/29/22 07:17 PM

I've always had good success starting out with a lone howl or what some might call invitation howl, especially this time of the year. Just one and then scan the area for movement for 3 -4 minutes. If nothing then go with some type of distress that hasn't been used a lot in your area. Just 30 seconds of distress sound, scan area, and wait for another 3 - 4 minutes before doing any other type of sounds.

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 02/06/22 04:14 PM

There are some good tips here. Thanks for sharing.

Silky plains - I like your idea of short teasing sounds. If I am using a distress sound, I had been playing it probably 3 minutes, then quiet for 5 minutes, and so on.

I didn't use any Howls while calling last weekend. I didn't think conditions were ideal. Lots of wind, and lots of switching wind. So I stayed in cover and tried calling Bobcats.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 02/06/22 04:59 PM

One thing you can try is rodent squeals at low volume near by constantly and with a howler call two or three times and then just wait. Coyotes often seem to be slow to respond to other coyote vocals (sometimes not).

Another trick my calling partner and I used to use that was somewhat unique; I used to drop off my partner right on a paved road that went through good country but didn't have lots of traffic and I would keep going, then the partner would settle down just off the right away and wait until a car went by then squawk and squeal like crazy right after as if he was a roadhit bunny. We took quite a few of the "road patrol" coyotes that way.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 02/07/22 03:21 AM

There is no easy calling anymore unless it's early before December .
Areas I've hunted for years will turn inside out now to rabbit sounds.

Coyote sounds on a mouth call (unique) from here on out is the ticket.

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 03/06/22 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
There is no easy calling anymore unless it's early before December.

I have my best success in early March
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 03/06/22 05:11 AM

Something a little different, birds, big birds, big black birds. Fighting. Raven and magpies here. Further East a murder of crows should garner some interest.

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 07/16/22 04:55 AM

Anyone hunting coyotes this summer?
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Coyote calling tips, vocals - 07/16/22 12:40 PM

Just curious... does anyone on here make coyote calls?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums