Home

Raw or Tanned Hides

Posted By: Trap828

Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 01:12 PM

Does any of you have a good source for purchasing raw and/or tanned hides? I’ve searched the internet and found several places that sells tanned fur. Some are reasonably priced while others are astronomically priced.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 01:47 PM

Not sure what you’re looking for, but the “for sale” section of the Taxidermy.net forums is probably the most likely place to find it. You can also place a post in the “wanted” section
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 02:02 PM

Raw hides are easy to find, but you need to have a fur buyer license in most states.but you can get them pretty cheap in this market for most species
Posted By: skunkly

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 06:28 PM

I'd talk to your local DNR and get some names of local trappers and you could buy direct. The DNR could also answer any questions you might have to make sure you are legal doing so.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Raw hides are easy to find, but you need to have a fur buyer license in most states.but you can get them pretty cheap in this market for most species

Fur buyers lic OR be a Taxidermist
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 07:09 PM

Best places right now for raw fur pelts are the State and trapper auctions going till June usually, your call what you wish to spend to win the pelts. Then would be private trappers and hunters selling on their own due to not liking the auction prices, hard to find these people with out being at auctions though, they want to sell but they don't usually advertise openly.

Raw hides as in leather , cattle or horse other kinds, best bet are tanners' on the east coast or those scattered through the country, most are small outfits not giant's with lots of equipment to turn over lots of weight of leather, most of those business's are gone now !
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 07:22 PM

In some states, if you are buying raw fur for your own use, a fur buyers license isn’t required. Say you wanted to buy 2 beaver pelts to tan ypuself to make a pair of mittens, not a commercial enterprise, no license needed. Check your local regs.

If you do enough looking around, you can find tanned pelts that are reasonably priced. When you think “reasonable” remember to include cost of tanning, especially if professionally done.

You might try posting on the Trap Shed. Never know what you might find.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 07:30 PM

Tanned hides are available through the advertisers on here. MTP and F&T both sell them
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 07:37 PM

You never stated what type of hide you are looking for , deer, cow, coyote.......
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 07:46 PM

Back in my pow wow days I use to get some tanned furs from groeny. I'm not sure if they still retail or not. Also there was a place in NY City that I got tails and faces and scraps. Not sure if they are still around either.

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
You never stated what type of hide you are looking for , deer, cow, coyote.......

Probably just coyote and fox. Wouldn’t mind some cats but they are out of the budget.

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Tanned hides are available through the advertisers on here. MTP and F&T both sell them

I seem to think that the coyotes on MTP and F&T would be good options. They are right on the boarder as far as tanned hides go in price. Cheapest I’ve found for #1 prime are about $80 and the highest being $140. That’s both for western, central, and eastern coyotes.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 09:34 PM

I have raw Alaska otter and marten for sale...

Re: Raw or Tanned Hides - 02/20/22 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by rosscoak
I have raw Alaska otter and marten for sale...

As an east coast southern boy I’ve never even seen a Martin hahaha
© 2024 Trapperman Forums