Home

3 knocks in the woods? Help

Posted By: cathryn

3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 01:54 PM

Ok.first of all I have never believed in or still don't believe in Sasquatch..i am what youd call a skeptic I guess.. but something happened last night that I can not explain.

I went up to my neighbors on the hill above my house to weed their strawberries and the strangest thing happened.

Probably about 50 yards or so from the strawberries over a bank..it goes into a ravine I heard something ive never heard before. And I've grown up in and around these woods my whole life and have never heard anything like this before.

I listened as it got farther away and then seemed to circle back towards me.

It was strange enough that it made me stop what I was doing and listen hard to try and figure out what the sound was. At this point it was loud and basically right up on me.i decided..after listening 15 minutes or so to the noise getting farther away then coming back closer...to ride the 4 wheeler down the road and up the hollar towards the sound to see if I could see anything.

As I came down the hill a car came by hauling butt. I thought what ever it was is gone now.

I drove up the road towards the sound and stopped the 4 wheeler and listened. I didnt hear it.
I went ahead up the road a little piece pulled off stopped the 4 wheeler and listened.

I waited probably 5 minutes then I could hear it again up on the hill across the hollar from where I originally heard it.

The whole time I was listening you could hear the progression because the knocks got farther away then swung around and started getting closer again.

The whole time this was happening my dogs at home down the hollar were going bananas.

It got fainter so I went home..still listening..and got some eggs to take to my neighbors.

I took the eggs down to a couple neighbors and at the 2nd house I heard the knocks again faintly up the hollar towards my house on the ridge.

Probably a quarter mile away from my house.

I asked my neighbor..do you hear that? We zoomed out in the yard and both could clearly hear the knocks.

They came in a sequence of 3..then a varying amount of time in between
.usually 15 to 20 seconds and three more knocks.

It sounded like someone hitting a hollow tree with a stick of wood about 3 foot long.
But it was always the same pitch. No allowances in the tenor for the difference in trees.

We listened for probably 15 minutes and heard the knocks get closer and then they got fainter..it sounded like whatever it was turned north and moved farther away from us across the ridge.

I heard the first knocks at roughly 6 pm. They were louder and faster..probably 5 seconds apart... they were always in a sequence of 3.

The last knocks we heard were at 7:23 pm

Jerry didn't hear it but told me it was first a grouse and then a woodpecker and it was neither.

I know what a grouse drumming and woodpeckers sound like.

There were no drugs or alcohol involved in this situation

It sounds crazy..believe me I know..but for the life of me I can not come up with a reasonable explanation of what made the knocks.

Do y'all have any ideas.

This is not a joke or BS ..i have racked my brain since I heard the first knocks to try and figure out what made them and I can't explain the knocks.

I'm not crazy but I really need to know what made those knocks.its bugging me bad.

Do you guys have any serious ideas as to what could have made the knocks..and always in the same pitch.

Again it was three knocks and even when close they sounded like a hollow tree kind of echo .deep and baritone sounding

I really would like your ideas. Im not trying to start a bigfoot thread but what could it have been??

Its really bothering me because I can't figure it out.

I'm gonna take the 4 wheeler when I get off work up to where I heard it on the ridge and see what I can find.

Again I don't believe in bigfoot but I have no idea what made the sounds and ive never ever heard the knocks before in all my 50 years.

If I had.. believe me id remember.

What do you guys think could have made the knocks?
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 01:58 PM

When you hear Knock Knock..your supposed to yell Whos There.Did you try that? smile
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:02 PM

That knock will turn into a click once you turn 50. You’ll learn to ignore them. lol
Posted By: run

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:03 PM

Prepare to believe.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:03 PM

What types of mushrooms were you cooking with Cathryn?? Consider a woodpecker??

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:04 PM

No.smartbutt..i didn't.
I just listened and tried to figure out the source of the knocks.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:05 PM

It's a mystery for You, I hope you Get a Visual sometime Cathryn and figure it out.

I'm not saying it's A Squatch either, I want to believe in them ...

Too many honest, intelligent people have had experiences like yours - many with a visual contact.

Best to You today!!!!

Scott

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:05 PM

There were no drugs or shrooms or alcohol involved.

I want there to be a logical explanation for the knocks.

So far there isnt
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:08 PM

A turkey putting can sound like knocking a tree with a stick.

So can a mountain lion when it is "chucking." I've heard a mountain lion doing it. A guy down the road from me was keeping mountain lions and bobcats without the proper permits. The Game Commission found out and was getting ready to fine him. He released all of them.

One of the mountain lions tried to snack on my beagle. We ran him off but he didn't go far. We heard him making a sound like knocking on wood. We never heard it before. It was later described to me as "chucking," a sound lion makes when it's agitated.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:10 PM

Much it. Was it in sets of 3?

Thats what was so weird
.the spacing of the knocks. It was the same every time.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:11 PM

Mating season for woodpeckers!!
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:13 PM

Time for a few trail cams.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:13 PM

Isn't knocking on trees what the tv show guys did to "call" a bigfoot? Probably some dingdong with a piece of hollow log, a stick and a camera out looking for one

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Originally Posted by Lugnut
A turkey putting can sound like knocking a tree with a stick.

So can a mountain lion when it is "chucking." I've heard a mountain lion doing it. A guy down the road from me was keeping mountain lions and bobcats without the proper permits. The Game Commission found out and was getting ready to fine him. He released all of them.

One of the mountain lions tried to snack on my beagle. We ran him off but he didn't go far. We heard him making a sound like knocking on wood. We never heard it before. It was later described to me as "chucking," a sound lion makes when it's agitated.

Much it. Was it in sets of 3?

Thats what was so weird
.the spacing of the knocks. It was the same every time.

It was years ago, I honestly don't remember the cadence.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:24 PM

Thanks.

It was not a woodpecker.
I just listened to the Audubon woodpecker sounds clip and it was none of those.

It sounded like a baseball bat hitting a hollow tree but it was exactly the same pitch no matter where it was coming
From

It was a deep hollow sound you could almost feel in your belly.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:26 PM

Cathryn, I am stepping away from my usual kidding with you and asking why you seem to be discounting a woodpecker?? How often do you hear pileated woodpeckers sounding (drumming)? They can be very loud and deliberate with their percussion...Even picking out trees which, seem to resonate...

Sorry, we were typing at the same time apparently...
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:28 PM

https://youtu.be/ikrI5fN4zCY
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:35 PM

It is mating time in the WV woods. That's my guess.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:35 PM

Probably a woodpecker, a species you’re not familiar with. The movement of the sound indicates the sounds were by something that had the ability to move freely with no preplanned destination. Flighty like a bird.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:44 PM

You know that old country song- "knock three times on the ceiling if you want me..." You were probably wearing perfume, working in the strawberries, and the ol' squatch was sending you a message. You never know, he might be good company when Jerry's out of state trappin'.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:46 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

That's a bird^^^

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Redknot
Cathryn, I am stepping away from my usual kidding with you and asking why you seem to be discounting a woodpecker?? How often do you hear pileated woodpeckers sounding (drumming)? They can be very loud and deliberate with their percussion...Even picking out trees which, seem to resonate...

I have heard pileated woodpeckers often.

I actually have a hollow tree at the end of my garden where they have nested many years.

It wasn't the same sound at all. Not even close. I wish it had been. Because I would t think I was you g nuts.

That way the knocks could be easily dismissed.

If I had to use one word to describe the knocks the word would be inexplicable

If it had been a woodpecker the sound wouldn't have stood out to me because its just par for the course in my hollar.

What gets me is the consistent spacing and tenor of the knocks. No matter how far or close neither ever changed

Ive always been the type who think the people who believe in bigfoot are nuts and I still dont believe in bigfoot but it was something ive never hears before. My neighbor was the one who mentioned bigfoot then it got me thinking.

Who knows?

I wish I k we what id heard I can tell you that.

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:51 PM

I am thinking wood pecker , I have sat quietly hunting and hear a similar 3 pop pop pop almost sounded like gun fire in the distance or knocking on a hollow log always the same cadence

eventually I was sitting there long enough I was able to put sight to sound a large wood pecker I don't know what type knock knock knock wait a bit moving around knock knock knock , wait moving around , repeat , fly ways it was like it was looking for the good hollow trees to find the insects , I almost wonder if they can hear the bugs moving after they hammer and if none active in that spot move and try again.

I know the wild life experts have everyone convinced that every bird in a species calls the same way or does everything the same and yet the wolves didn't read the liberals manual to being a wolf and we see lots of behavior that contradicts the "how it is " that antis and wild life professionals spout.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:55 PM

I have heard pileated woodpeckers often.

I actually have a hollow tree at the end of my garden where they have nested many years.

It wasn't the same sound at all. Not even close. I wish it had been. Because I would t think I was you g nuts.

That way the knocks could be easily dismissed.

If I had to use one word to describe the knocks the word would be inexplicable

If it had been a woodpecker the sound wouldn't have stood out to me because its just par for the course in my hollar.

What gets me is the consistent spacing and tenor of the knocks. No matter how far or close neither ever changed

Ive always been the type who think the people who believe in bigfoot are nuts and I still dont believe in bigfoot but it was something ive never hears before. My neighbor was the one who mentioned bigfoot then it got me thinking.

Who knows?

I wish I k we what id heard I can tell you that.

Well Cathryn, now I am just scared for you! It's been nice knowing you and you will be missed!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:59 PM

Any ruffed grouse In your area?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 02:59 PM

Carry your Camera ...

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:03 PM

Any of y'all can make fun. I don't care.

It was something ive never heard before and I want to know what it was and I'm gonna try and find out.

Jerry told me not to post it cause y'all think i was off my rockers but that's ok.

I. Know I heard something not everyone has heard and its bugging me and will till I can logically explain what I heard.
Posted By: David Morse

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:03 PM

i would bet its a grouse. I hear them all the time and would describe the sound as an old single cylinder engine that sounds like its a quarter of a mile off.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:04 PM

Just now heard three knocks back of our place. Thing is, I know what they were:

The neighbors who have thousands of acres of ryegrass use propane cannon hazers to scare the canadian geese off their fields.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:04 PM

Cathryn, if it was bigfoot, at least it was knock three times and not twice on the pipes...That should at least make you smile!

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Any ruffed grouse In your area?

A few but that not what it was.

Ive heard them drumming many times.

330. I have it ready for this evenings ride

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:07 PM

I have little faith I'll hear it again though. Ive never heard it in all my years and I'm 50.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:09 PM

Can you come weed my strawberries?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Can you come weed my strawberries?

Lol.
Long as there ain't no knocking going on.

These people are from DC and don't ha e a clue about anything country so im trying to help em out some.

I'm going to ask stan if hes heard the knocking before

Its mostly a hardwood area
Lots of oaks and I do know there's I e big butternut tree in thw hollar too.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:20 PM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Woodpecker+Pecking+Wood&&view=detail&mid=C1AD678E8E204E65766AC1AD678E8E204E65766A&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DWoodpecker%2BPecking%2BWood%26Form%3DVDRSCL%26%3D0
Any ash trees nearby ?
Dead from borers ?
3 or so pecks between capture.
Warm weather has the larvae very active and they are just under the bark.
Could be several foraging as they are pretty thick in E, WV.
Posted By: Boco

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:21 PM

Could be a Raven.They make a variety of clicking low clucks and Knock sounds this time of year.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:21 PM

Bear?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Bear?

I wondered that. There has been a bear spotted in This area over the last 3 or so months .

Would they do that noise?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:34 PM

Maybe a raven? I dont see many of them around
Posted By: K91773

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:37 PM

Can't help you with this, but I did hear a strange rhythmic knocking in the woods one night, sounded like an axe hitting a hollow tree, walked quite a distance trying to locate it. When I did it was comical that I had probably walked 1 1/2 miles through the woods at night to find it, the bushing had gone out on the top pivot of a pump jack at a small oil well, and every time it reached the top of the stroke the pivot would clunk against the axle, it truly did sound like an axe hitting a tree though. I realize this is not what you are hearing because what you are hearing is moving.

Is it possible that it was a person that was lost or disoriented, after all three loud noises in close succession is a distress signal? You mentioned the car and just because you were not impaired it doesn't exclude one or more of them being impaired and wandering off from the group.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:42 PM

Maybe a raven? I dont see many of them around

There are a couple of them on utube making the knocking sound (they make a lot of weird different sounds),but they dont sound as loud as the ones you hear when echoing in the bush.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by K91773
Can't help you with this, but I did hear a strange rhythmic knocking in the woods one night, sounded like an axe hitting a hollow tree, walked quite a distance trying to locate it. When I did it was comical that I had probably walked 1 1/2 miles through the woods at night to find it, the bushing had gone out on the top pivot of a pump jack at a small oil well, and every time it reached the top of the stroke the pivot would clunk against the axle, it truly did sound like an axe hitting a tree though. I realize this is not what you are hearing because what you are hearing is moving.

Is it possible that it was a person that was lost or disoriented, after all three loud noises in close succession is a distress signal? You mentioned the car and just because you were not impaired it doesn't exclude one or more of them being impaired and wandering off from the group.

It wasn't a person.

I'll listen to the raven sounds Boco

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Bruce T

That's a bird^^^

That's a chipmunk, heard that sound and seen them making it many times.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 03:58 PM

No chipmunk.

I called my other neighbor up the way a bit and asked his opinion.

Hes very much into native american culture.

He even plays a native american flute and has a CD of it.

You talk about weird and eerie sound g..but anyway..he also carves totem poles and animals with chainsaws. He very good at it.

But anyway he says he believes In Them and I told him what I heard
He was very interested. Said it sounded like some of the things hed read about Sasquatch. He said he went to a Sasquatch convention somewhere In Ohio

Anyway he's gonna keep his ears peeled and see if he hears it

I. Go. A call him if I hear it because he should be able to hear the echo at his place

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:05 PM

I hope you and your Neighbor hear it again

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:07 PM

I enjoy the woods noises thread. Sorry I can't help you, Cathryn. You can come weed our family's strawberrys. I will give you free ear muffs.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by run
I enjoy the woods noises thread. Sorry I can't help you, Cathryn. You can come weed our family's strawberrys. I will give you free ear muffs.

LOL.

I bet I could heard em through earmuffs.

330 me too
Posted By: hippie

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:21 PM

99.9999999% of the time it turns out to be explainable and its a common thing.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:28 PM

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ng_Timber_Rattlesnakes_Crotalus_horridus

Are your woods rocky? Part of this abstract claims that Timber Rattlesnakes during their first basking upon emerging for hibernation will click their rattles on rocks to announce their presence to other snakes in the area.

I can't remember Cathryn, you either liked or disliked snakes greatly, which was it??

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:29 PM

I agree with hippie.

On a side note, where the heck were the gals that could hoe strawberries when I was 20 something?!
Posted By: Actor

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:32 PM

cathryn... here is a very long shot. When I was about 8 to 10 years old, I spent several weeks with and old cousin that lived in Noble County, Ohio. (Southeast Ohio Hills) He had several hundred acres of land and probably 75 acres was timber that hadn't been cut since his grandfather had acquired it in early half of 1800s. He was going to sell some of the timber. While I was staying there a timber buyer came to the farm and the three of us went to the woods. The only tools or equipment he had was a hickory, 3 feet long club.

If I remember right, my cousin said the man was a timber chaser. (?) He was there to choose the trees he would buy, etc. He would see one that he was interested in, he would roughly measure the diameter with length of the club, he somehow estimated the height using the club. The he would take the club, step back from the tree and strike the tree, about chest high, with the club "THREE" times. I ask, why he did that, and was told he could tell by the sound if the tree was solid or hollow. Most of the trees were solid, but a couple had hollow places or something. If they were good he tacked a small ribbon on it.

Now... maybe that is possibly what you heard. Going down in a holler would sound like is was moving away, and then coming back up would sound closer.

That is my best guess... I know how the Oldtimers hill folks were and some of them had was of doing things that we don't understand today.

Good luck...

Garry-
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:33 PM

You said a car came speeding down the road at one point.

You sure they weren't up in there somewhere pounding maple taps in?
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by elkaholic

Bingo. That makes the most sense.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:46 PM

[quote=cathryn]There were no drugs or shrooms or alcohol involved.

I want there to be a logical explananation
So why are you asking on here???
Posted By: Trapper Dan 57

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:50 PM

A series of three is concerning due to universal distress signaling.
A drumming woodpecker could not find trees to make the same sound every time and only three each time is questionable.

So could someone be walking about with an object making the sound performing some kind of wildlife research ? What though ?????
If it were someone in distress, it seems they could have found their way out with all the movement going on. Or they were high as a kite acting weird !!!!!!!!
Or it was a plain and simple wise guy thinking he/she were being cute baffling the neighborhood.
Thanks for sharing. I hope you get to share the explanation.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Bingo. That makes the most sense.

Tis the sugarin season.

Keith

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:17 PM

No sugaring or timber checking going on.

The only people within miles that tap trees are me and Jerry and it wasn't us.

This is a very remote area..my neighbor up the road who believes In Sasquatch lives a mile and a half away. Hes the closest neighbor to the east.

There are no neighbors north or south for 5 miles at least...both directions are big hills..and lots of hilly ground and steep. It's westvaco land to the south and about 3 miles through the woods to the south to hit any road or houses.

My other neighbors are quarter to half a mile to the west.it wasnt them because I was at both of their houses delivering eggs and could still hear the knocking.

I want to know what it was but im not gonna kid myself into believing it was something it wasn't.

Thank you guys for your informative replies.

Im not tryung to be difficult but thats not what it was.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:24 PM

A 'love starved' teenage boy checking for bees. whistle

Charlie
Posted By: camlock

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:24 PM

I have a good friend and I have known for many years. He is in no way a liar in any way or afraid of anything much. This person had almost the same thing happen. Two years ago. I believe was in springtime ,Him and another man went to pick seedling trees up on a mountain close to where they live. It is around Beersheba springs Tennessee. The Cumberland mountain area. No houses around anywhere. He was raised around there... He told me it was a wooded swampy area in the back. They both hear what was described to be like a 2x4 board hitting a tree. I don't remember the times he says the tree was struck, but it was several. The other fella says "what's that smell?" . Then one of the trees start to shake back and fourth. He describes hearing a wooshing sound. Then he says he can hear a branch break and it being thrown back in the woods. It was about 75 yards back from them, He told me that they both walked away from that spot and started working in another area. When they got back to the place to drop off the seeding trees the nursery man asked "what happened to you" ? The man could tell they were startled by something. They both told him what they seen up there. These are both stand up good people. Outdoorsmen, trappers, hunters and know those areas very well. They are not crazy, do drugs or do alcohol. i was to told by him that he use to not think anything about going out and just sleeping in the woods. Anyway that is what I was told.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:25 PM

Cathryn
Don't let it drive you to crazy. Back when wife and I were still dating. Many moons ago. We saw some thing and I say thing because to this day I still have no idea what we saw. Any years later watching some TV show on think history channel. They showed a picture of this legendary critter supposed to be a down south thing. I saw that drawing and said that's is what I saw some 30 years ago. They called it a swamp ape guess cousin to bigfoot???
So any I've spent much of my life on the river and in the woods. Heard lot weird noises took some time to figure out.
But our sitting all them years ago is still a mystery.
I don't tell that story often and wife and I didn't even tell anyone for years. Just get called nut job.

Mac
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:28 PM

That was probably me, Mac. grin

Moosetrot

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:40 PM

I think I wanna know what it was so bad because I do t wanna have the possibility of what it could have been.

I thought by posting it here where lots of people from all over are ..that maybe someone else had heard what ive been describing

If you ever hear it you will never forget it... I guarantee you that.

One thing I know for sure something made that noise and it 2asnt a person.
Posted By: smellslikecastor

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:45 PM

hit or miss engines. for the oil or gas ?
Posted By: walleyed

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:46 PM

Not saying it was aliens, but it was probably aliens,
or crayfish !!!!!! laugh

w

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:49 PM

No oil and gas in my part of WV. And that wouldnt take into account the way it moved.. like the noisemaker was walking around in the woods.

Especially when the knocks were going west along the ridge above my house

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Not saying it was aliens, but it was probably aliens,
or crayfish !!!!!! laugh

w

Jerry was a smartaleck this morning and said crawdads too...after grouse and woodpeckers. mad

Id tell you what I told him but its a kid friendly site and id definitely be banned. . smile

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
That was probably me, Mac. grin

Moosetrot

Moosetrot I know you have dark hair. This thing we saw was blonde leaning towards maybe redish. I don't know how fast you could run in your younger day? I was considered pretty fast back then. But I don't think could caught this thing. My headlights lite it up. Turned looking right at us and was gone before I got spot light dug out from under car seat.
It was fast. Like said don't tell story to often because everyone thinks saw deer or coyote.. I would would say streaker before any critter I might have misideified.

Mac

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 06:21 PM

A marine saw this in wv

https://www.audacy.com/connectingve...ographs-alleged-bigfoot-in-west-virginia
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 06:23 PM

Cathryn, I bet is was exactly what you think it was.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 06:27 PM

Contract timber cruiser working overtime!

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap

NO WAY. No possibility at all
The first knocks were with 50 or 60 yards and no way that a person got around the way the knocks did unless they were on a 4 wheeler and then they had to cross cricks and open gates. Impossible

My granddads old farm my neighbors and our property are all that are there.
My neighbors just bought the place and no timbering or potential timbering within 25 miles..easy

Dean I hope it wasn't but I can't explain what it was

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
99.9999999% of the time it turns out to be explainable and its a common thing.

Xcept for the Alien knockings

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 07:37 PM

Hog snapping its jaws?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 08:26 PM

No hogs anywhere close or aliens.
Joke if you want it was a what the crap was that??moment
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 08:33 PM

Maybe dude is smitten, how long has it been since you shaved your legs?
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 08:51 PM

Bigfoot has special powers that cause all the photos of him to be out of focus, And of course there is only one ever seen at a time because there is no Mrs. Bigfoot. The infants like the adults just magically appear and disappear at will.
Posted By: GARY M.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 09:02 PM

Woodpecker on a real and I mean really hollow tree.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 09:02 PM

Your neighbor who believes in Bigfoot is your guy. Him and a few friends.
If he does social media, I'd check for recent postings.

Or an Amish coyote drive.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 09:07 PM

Just call in Jacques Lafleur, he'll figure it out. smile
Posted By: bhugo

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 09:10 PM

I’m excited to hear what you found in the woods.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 09:27 PM

laugh all ya'll want,,,,,, but it was probably a wendigo. they are real. trying to trick ya to go off into the woods. glad ya'll didn't. lots of folks go missing every year,,,,,,,still have never been found.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by run

LOL.

I bet I could heard em through earmuffs.

330 me too

Good comeback , Cathryn.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by GARY M.
Woodpecker on a real and I mean really hollow tree.

No we are actually in the woods now.. Listening.im posting this from the 4 wheeler

And we just heard a woodpecker. Ain't even close

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 10:57 PM

Have you tried repeating the same sound your self? See if you can get a response back?
Drum up some business.

Mac
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 11:02 PM

Can't believe none of you know this was definitely the work of
LEPRECHAUNS!!!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 11:04 PM

There were no drugs or shrooms or alcohol involved.

I want there to be a logical explanation for the knocks.

So far there isnt

This is the first problem. grin
But in all seriousness I hope you figure it out, I tend towards the bear looking for some type of food.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 11:38 PM

Bob do you know how many knock knock bear jokes there are? None because bears dont knock whistle
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/17/22 11:51 PM

NO WAY. No possibility at all
The first knocks were with 50 or 60 yards and no way that a person got around the way the knocks did unless they were on a 4 wheeler and then they had to cross cricks and open gates. Impossible

My granddads old farm my neighbors and our property are all that are there.
My neighbors just bought the place and no timbering or potential timbering within 25 miles..easy

Dean I hope it wasn't but I can't explain what it was

I don't think Bigfoot runs around here to there so most likely some kind of bird, up until you posted this I had another theory.

The car you saw hauling it out of there was probably part of it, dropped a buddy off to "thump" on a piece of wood with a stick and then all get together and see what the media reported on it from the locals

Most likely Bobo and his Finding Bigfoot minions or some copycat would have been my first guess, but I can't see Bobo covering that much ground unless he shed a bunch of weight and took up cross country running laugh

Watched 2 coons get into a brawl once, they made some awful sounds that if a person did not know what was making that sound they might never go in the woods alone again laugh
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 01:24 AM

I have read the entire thread. Here's my take (guiltlessly lifting from other posters, including the jokesters).
1) The tone of the knocks does not vary. The sound is likely coming from the striking implement rather than what is being struck.
2) The knocks always come in threes at the same cadence. Not very many natural sources will do that. Could you replicate that cadence with a 3 foot long pole against a tree?
3) The sound is coming from different areas, moving about. Can you describe in more detail the distance covered between the separate events, and the type of terrain the source of the noise would need to traverse to get to the new spots?
4) You stated that your neighbor is a squatch watcher. That reeks of something more than coincidence. Could he, or some of his cohorts have been out there trying to call in a squatch, or could one of his buddy's been out there to rile up your squatch watching neighbor?
5) Have you or Jerry pulled a prank on someone lately to spur on a light hearted payback?

If you never hear the sounds again, either the prank has been completed, or someone captured, shot or ran over the squatch.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 01:36 AM

I can't say that I'm a hardcore believer in the Squatch either, but I would NEVER dismiss it! It seems as though you have ruled out just about everything but, I would entertain that you accept that's what it was and go about your way. If you experience it again, take note, and keep asking around. In the meantime, just think that in an arid, heavily wooded area, why couldn't there be something there that "we" can't explain?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 01:57 AM

She hasn't come back...it's been 3 hours
Posted By: eedup

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 02:13 AM

I have heard sow bears with cubs making a knock/cluck type sound to communicate.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 02:25 AM

There was a song about this I think? Knock 3 times laugh
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 02:29 AM

I was thinking about this post today when I went out to shoot my smoothbore... Then I laughed out loud when I used the slap stapler to attach a paper plate to a tree with a handful of staples.

Mike
Posted By: Bigbuck

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 03:05 AM

I win. Sheldon was on the ridge knocking for Penny.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 03:08 AM

You reckon squash has a 4 wheeler to be able to get around like that?
Posted By: cmj

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 03:11 AM

yep, mating season in WV, stay inside and lock the doors.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 04:00 AM

[Linked Image]
It's a little blurry...hahaha

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 04:04 AM

grin
Posted By: mike mason

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 10:56 AM

Tony Orlando coming out of hibernation!
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 10:57 AM

I think you have a wackado roaming your woods.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 11:52 AM

There is something in those hills and hollows that at least one of the locals does not want the neighbors (long time residents or new not from around here folks) to know about. And they are using fear of the unknown to keep folks out of there.
Posted By: Bob LaRue

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 11:58 AM

Hope things went well last night. I don't like that she went on her 4 wheeler, she wouldn't hear the location of the wood knockers on her way in.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bob LaRue
Hope things went well last night. I don't like that she went on her 4 wheeler, she wouldn't hear the location of the wood knockers on her way in.

Right
Posted By: MnMan

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 12:08 PM

" Well, I saw the thing comin' out of the sky,
It had one long horn, and one big eye.
I commenced to shakin' and I said Ohh-eee,
It looks like a purple people eater to me!
It was a one horn, one eyed flyin' purple people eater".

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 01:09 PM

Well, it came out of the sky, landed just a little south of Moline.
Jody fell out of his tractor, couldn't believe what he seen.
Laid on the ground and shook fearin for his life.
Then he ran all the way to town screaming "It Came Outta the Sky"

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 01:57 PM

Id like to know what it was.

I'm no so arrogant to think that theres no way something might be out there that i don't know about.
Jerry is still arguing birds but I can tell you we heard some low pitched kinda growling last night and a dang crow calling the we looked for and never could get a visual on.

And this "crow" was calling its head off and we knew where the call was coning from but we never saw it and. We looked.

The low pitched growling(Jerry heard it first) was beyond the crow calls.

I have a dog house where several hens lay down by the creek
.40 yards or so from the house and for 3 days. No eggs. No broken shells. Nothing and its good for 10 to 14 eggs a day and has been for over a month now.

Who knows
When Jerry told me i said ..they wouldnt leave shells they'd just carry them to their lair.lol

Hes not on board.

There are lots of caves behind the house..to the south and several century old house ruins to the north.

Crazy thing is is that it wasn't a scary experience it just made me really wonder..what if?

I wish I could hear it again and know but it may never happen ..and we did go up there last night..not so much to see a squatch but to see if I heard the noise again..same time of night and all that...so that I could say
.it wasn't a squatch but that didn't happen

I went on 4 wheeler ..yes..but I was on the four wheeler initially the night I heard it and it didn't keep whatever it was from making noise so I didn't think it'd matter.

We turned it off and just set and enjoyed the evenings and listened.

Jerry thinks people that believe in them are nuts. He said he didn't believe because no bodies or captured beings have been documented.

Which is crazy because he believes in God.. Which is a good thing ..but he's going on faith there..without any truly what wed call "tangible evidence"

The thing is there are things out there that we don't know about..maybe we've never seen them because we ..for the most part. Aren't in the woods in the middle of the night...whos to say?

I know thee are cameras out there..who knows maybe they're smart enough to avoid them..or just lucky? Lol

I dont know but I know I was one of y'all who though no possible way..until I heard those knocks and while im not saying there's a Sasquatch in my area..who knows?

Maybe they just wont make themselves known to just anyone.
I do know its not any bird ive ever heard before.

And it wasnt my neighbor. Hes a 67 year old retired school teacher who minds his own business I just knew ..with his beliefs about native american things ...that he probably believed in them and i was right.
He was both shocked and interested when I called him and asked him some question s
And who is it hurting to think that?

Id like to be able to say it was a bird or a person or whatever but I can't because it wasn't and I guess until you experience what I did.. you wont understand it.. but that's ok.

I wouldn't have entertained the thought myself..before

I wouldn't even think about believing they may exist if I hadn't heard what I heard.

Its not gonna rule me but im gonna keep an ear and eye out..you never know.

I did learn yesterday..and read the article on it...where a sighting was recorded in frozen camp off rt 33 a few years ago and thats about 5 miles north of me..through the woods...on the other side of the westvaco land ..which is now a WMA ...so its not that far.

If they are out there they havent bothered anything around the place so if they were..id never hurt them.id jjust let them live out their lives..same as me.

If its a stupid bird id like to see it.

I have found through this post..that there are people out there who have had encounters with what they believe are. Sasquatch..but the wont post it on the open forum. And I totally understand why.

Who am I to say what they saw weren't squatch?

If they are around my place itd be neat. And wouldnt bother me as long as they left my chickens and dogs alone.

They can have some eggs..im getting plenty

So for y'all who wanna make fun. Go ahead.

One day you might have an unexplainable experience that makes you set up and wonder.."what the heck was that?"..An experience that you want to explain away but just can't.
Posted By: Finster

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 02:10 PM

Could have been some idiot looking for bigfoot trying to lure him in.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 02:15 PM

The only LOGICAL explanation that I can come up with is that it was some kind of bird since it is mating season for a lot of them. As was previously mentioned, Ravens are capable of making some crazy sounds. Could be another kind but whatever moved around like that so quickly must have had wings or there was more than one of them calling back and forth. Someone could have been messin' with you too, but it is two weeks too early for April Fool's Day.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 02:26 PM

My thought is if someone was using a stick to hit a tree then why was it the same tone? No two trees sound the same and I'm sure if you where running through the woods you wouldn't have time to one hit trees that where the same diameter. If it was machinery then you should be able to see it or atleast see tracks.
Posted By: hobbes

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 02:47 PM

A few frogs were croaking for the first time this spring here yesterday. Maybe a few of those croaking back and forth???

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 03:45 PM

I sticking with a mountain lion chucking. Should be tracks at the doghouse down by the creek, at least mashed down vegetation. I think bigfoots would leave big tracks.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 05:59 PM

Problem iwith tracks is its deciduous trees everywhere and 1hile you can see where something jhas went through the leaves ..other than something of a fair size..you can't tell anything.

Not a frog.

The thumps were the same tone

And not an idiot.

Maybe mountain lion? No idea..no tracks.

I've never seen I e here. So.e people say they're here.

Jerry doesn't believe it..then he doesn't believe anything he can't see.

I do appreciate that y'all have given me some interesting possibilities.

Thank You

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 06:08 PM

It's A Squatch

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 06:15 PM

It's A Squatch

Nope, he'd be found. Must be the ghost of a Squatch.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 06:32 PM

Squatch would be looking to be seen ... just like the commercial grin
Posted By: bjansma

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 06:34 PM

Don't know anyone with a hound dog you could see if maybe it'll pick something up? If it shows zero interest it's probably birds/aerial. If it hugs your leg and refuses to go in the woods, well...

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 06:37 PM

I got a good dog id like to keep...just on case.....

Maybe the neighbors would let me borrow there coon?godine?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Squatch would be looking to be seen ... just like the commercial grin

grin
Posted By: grumley701

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 06:46 PM

Over 2600 views and 3 pages of comments in a day says a lot..... crazy

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 06:48 PM

Look closely for Jack Link wrappers layin around.
Them guys are always "messin" with Sasquatch. smile

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 11:17 PM

grumley....I think more people either want to believe or do believe in bigfoot and choose to hide.that fact grin

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbuck
I win. Sheldon was on the ridge knocking for Penny.

That's too funny!

It's Sheldon Cathryn

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 11:41 PM

LOL..just.my.luck grin
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 11:48 PM

Knock three times on the hemlock if you want me...Twice on the pine, if the answer is no...
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 11:50 PM

It wouldn’t have been some type of frog would it?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/18/22 11:52 PM

[quote=cathryn]grumley....I think more people either want to believe or do believe in bigfoot and choose to hide.that fact grin[/quote/

Still plenty of nay sayers feel need to comment on something they believe to be folly..not much different than than the unbelieving commenting on a believers thread. My question is, if one thought of it as folly why would you take the effort to comment on it? In the end all the mysteriously will be revealed. The world isn't what you can comprehend...

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 12:10 AM

No idea but i believe if you've spent enough time outdoors especially around dawn you're gonna see or hear things that can't be explained

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 12:45 AM

Are there marshes in the area? Maybe an American Bittern.

Bittern Call
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:00 AM

i would think a fox was a squatch if i didnt know they made such an aweful scream. my hair stood up on end the first i heard it. ...has to be some kind of bird.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:03 AM

Crows and ravens make a lot of strange calls
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:10 AM

Sometimes its good not to live around forests, less places to hide, to a certain degree...

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Are there marshes in the area? Maybe an American Bittern.

Bittern Call

Not too many marshes in West Virginia. It's a well drained state generally speaking. No intention of slamming WV. I promise.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:31 AM

No marshes. Theres a crick behind the house and big hills front and back.

Its a pipe in sunshine kinda place

I havent heard a frog or toad sounds like that before.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:42 AM

I don't believe in sasquash. It sounds to me like it might be some type of predator trying to frighten it's pray.
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 04:14 AM

Like the tommynockers but woodnockers lol.maybe Write a book
Posted By: Skytrash

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 04:38 AM

I’m not a believer but an agnostic towards the subject. I’m not a nutcase either, I do happen to be a CPT who flies a 270 million dollar jet. I own a remote property here in Alaska that has things happen that I can’t explain to include what sounds like a hollow baseball bat hitting a tree. My cabin is a 25 mile boat ride on the ocean from the nearest town. We have had rocks hit the cabin, and have witnessed a rock the size of a football get thrown towards my big boat on its mooring and impact the water about 150 feet out. Whatever’s out there also leaves tracks. We have recordings of growls, roars and howls that have been compared to the McCulley Library of Sounds using a spectrograph and they come back unknown. Like I said I’m not a believer, until I see one at least… Before our experiences I would discard anyone who talked of it as crazy. Now, not so much…
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 11:50 AM

What was the temperature- Sounds like Frost Cracks to me... and I also would not rule out the resurgence of Tony Orlando & Dawn, the ensuing results could be Twice on the Pipes... if the answer in NO!
Posted By: Hatchetman

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 12:42 PM

So you didn't pull out your cell phone and take a video of it ?

I know you didn't see it, but for at least for the purpose of capturing the audio?

You state at times it was fairly close and quite loud so why didn't you record it?
Sure, the microphone on your cell may not have picked it up perfectly, but at least you would've had some tangible evidence to prove your experience...

I "m sorry, but I call BS on the whole ordeal....
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:29 PM

Not everyone thinks "oh I'm gonna record everything in life so the world can see!"

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hatchetman

Such an easy thing to discredit someone.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 01:59 PM

I know you didn't see it, but for at least for the purpose of capturing the audio?

You state at times it was fairly close and quite loud so why didn't you record it?
Sure, the microphone on your cell may not have picked it up perfectly, but at least you would've had some tangible evidence to prove your experience...

Why does your calling BS carry any more weight than Cathryn's story???
She ask for help try to figure something out. Didn't handle it in the same manner others would have. So there for is all BS..
Give me break...
I've had lots stories in my life time don't have pictures of or sound bits for. Can't explain can't defend with physical evidence.
But wasn't BS

Mac
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 02:05 PM

No trail cams at all in the area? What I don't get is there is always a dead body of every animal known.. hair..whatever. as trappers you know that, but until now not a single physical evidence or skull, bone or anything of a sasquatch... Maybe it could even be a demon for all we know. The spiritual is just as real as what we see physically.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 03:33 PM

Out of this whole thread the only thing I’m suspicious of is the car that came by hauling butt.
Only a couple of neighbors she mentions and no others within 5 miles. Sunlight is “piped in” but random speeding cars are normal?
I hear things I’ve never heard before quite often. Eventually I figure them out as I’m sure she will.
Posted By: Trapper1960

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 04:06 PM

A Black Bear when feeling threatened will pop upper and lower jaws together several times in a row as a warning to stay away . It sounds alot like slapping two 2x4s together and in the woods the sound will travel depending on cover . Sounds to me like a momma bear is telling something to stay away from her cubs . If your not paying attention to her after her giving notice the next sound you hear is not gonna be in your favor !

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 05:40 PM

Such an easy thing to discredit someone.

What we refer to as being intellectually lazy. I have an open mind but not to the point of where my brain falls out…
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Out of this whole thread the only thing I’m suspicious of is the car that came by hauling butt.
Couple that with three being a universal distress call.

I'd talk to the local law enforcement They might know something, and/or, might want to check out the area. WTH, a few more feet on the ground just might help answer your curiosity. You sound pretty observant, so hopefully you can describe the car in somewhat the same detail as the sounds.

PS: Hide or remove any boiler/condenser, or growing patch in the area.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 09:05 PM

Watched a video of a couple of “researchers” tree knocking with a small hardwood bat they had for that purpose.
They hit several trees of very different diameter and species. The sound was very much the same on all of the trees. The trees were all live as far as I could tell.
Posted By: nycoyoteman

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 11:23 PM

I would be interested in knowing how many people sent you PM’s that had their own experiences but didn’t want to share out of fear of being ridiculed. This subject has been on here before and always goes the same way- a few share their own stories. And a bunch just make jokes and disregard it. I was always taught if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all.

I have always had an interest in not only Sasquatch but all of the cryptids. Some are a little too far fetched for me but the better documented cases have always peeked my interest. The mothman and beast of bray road, skin walker ranch all have well documented witnesses.

I am not saying I believe any of them exist but I am open minded and would need to see real evidence or witness myself to fully commit to the idea.

It’s a shame people can’t feel free to share their experiences on this forum without ridicule because this is where the people that spend the most time outdoors gather to share their experiences.

I find Bigfoot/Sasquatch stories most fascinating because either :
A- they exist and are extremely elusive or..

B- if they don’t exist what causes so many people to tell the same stories of these encounters?
And I am referring to people who have actually seen one or found tracks or had rocks throw a at them.

I don’t put any credibility in second hand stories- the I had friend that saw one or that type of thing. I am interested in people who have experienced an encounter first hand.

When I was about 19 a friend and I were driving home one night. At the time I lived in Vernon NJ. All of a sudden an animal runs across the road in front of us. It was the size of a small deer with large ears like a rabbit. Guess you could say a jack-a-lope without the horns. We both looked at each other and neither had a clue what we had just seen. We never mentioned it again. Years later when the internet came around I did a search and found what We had seen. It was just some type of exotic pet - a Mara.

Thanks Cathryn for being brave enough to post your experience.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/19/22 11:30 PM

Yes.....thank you Cathryn. I had a great response but it got deleted.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 01:07 AM

I take OP's questions and the story she related to us a genuine and straight forward. LMBO at anyone who is such a know it all that their mind is made up about what other ppl see or hear and shame on the no good counterfeit pieces of (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) who would call another dishonest for no reason.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
I take OP's questions and the story she related to us a genuine and straight forward. LMBO at anyone who is such a know it all that their mind is made up about what other ppl see or hear and shame on the no good counterfeit pieces of (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) who would call another dishonest for no reason.

I too, share that exact sentiment.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 01:42 AM

I've never known Cathryn to be a BS'er .
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 10:55 AM

Kernel Mustard in the Library with the Candle Stick.

I'll stick with frost cracking of trees as the sound- it appears you had some major temperature swings on March 15th with a High/52 Low/ 14 on March 16th High/67 Low /31.
The sounds happened with the sun setting between 6pm-7:23pm.

"As the sun sets, temperatures drop quickly, causing the bark to cool and contract. The wood under the bark does not cool as quickly, causing the bark to split. The rifle shot sound that frost cracks make is the sudden snapping of wood that has reached its limit of flexibility. It’s sudden because until that moment the tree has maintained its tensile strength. As soon as the forces of expansion and contraction exceed the wood’s strength, the wood fails all at once."
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 11:10 AM

Probably an ivory billed woodpecker or some such bird.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Skytrash
I’m not a believer but an agnostic towards the subject. I’m not a nutcase either, I do happen to be a CPT who flies a 270 million dollar jet. I own a remote property here in Alaska that has things happen that I can’t explain to include what sounds like a hollow baseball bat hitting a tree. My cabin is a 25 mile boat ride on the ocean from the nearest town. We have had rocks hit the cabin, and have witnessed a rock the size of a football get thrown towards my big boat on its mooring and impact the water about 150 feet out. Whatever’s out there also leaves tracks. We have recordings of growls, roars and howls that have been compared to the McCulley Library of Sounds using a spectrograph and they come back unknown. Like I said I’m not a believer, until I see one at least… Before our experiences I would discard anyone who talked of it as crazy. Now, not so much…

Cover the planes #'s I'd love to see it if you could post a picture...if not that's OK too.
I've Had none of those experiences which you've had ; and just like Cathryn's story I believe it. I believe we live in a world of unknowns.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper1960
A Black Bear when feeling threatened will pop upper and lower jaws together several times in a row as a warning to stay away . It sounds alot like slapping two 2x4s together and in the woods the sound will travel depending on cover . Sounds to me like a momma bear is telling something to stay away from her cubs . If your not paying attention to her after her giving notice the next sound you hear is not gonna be in your favor !

I still think this
Posted By: vermontster

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Originally Posted by Trapper1960

I still think this

How far do believe you could hear the sounds of a bear snapping it’s jaw’s. I’ve heard two different sows doing and I don’t believe I could’ve heard them more than 80 yards but I can only hear out of one ear. I don’t think that either time did the bear sound like hitting wood.
I and two other hunters saw tracks in the snow with a 5-6 stride 16” tracks. I was in two feet of snow and no snow shoes and whatever was making the tracks had no problem lifting it’s leg up and clearing the snow until the next step. There was no belly drag or foot drag marks. Of course looking at my tracks all I was doing was shuffling through it almost a continuous looking line in the snow . I was top of the ridge, and there was a hunter on both sides of the ridge. The other hunters had both seen the tracks and they were in 16” of snow. They both are long time deer trackers and both have hunted moose and all three of us have shot a dozen bears or more. We don’t have moose in this part of VT. One of the guys couldn’t believe where these tracks went up over a ledge point on the ridge and he circled around up on top and hit my tracks and followed my tracks until he saw where I had looked at the big tracks. None of us knew that the others were there and later that year in talking about our muzzleloader season and deer seen , I had asked if they had seen any unusual tracks and they both said yes. I had shot a deer that day coming down off the point of the ridge and they both heard the shot. I came in from the East and they came in from the north and south sides. I killed the deer on the west end of the ridge. The big tracks came up from the north side and continued down the south side. Tell what makes bipedal tracks that are 16” long and that can lift its leg straight up out of 2’ of snow and not a drag mark in the snow and put the next foot down 5-6 feet away. I don’t care what anyone says. I couldn’t make out the actual foot print but the general shape was human like. So stick your BS comment just because you haven’t seen it then of course it can’t be true!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
Kernel Mustard in the Library with the Candle Stick.

I'll stick with frost cracking of trees as the sound- it appears you had some major temperature swings on March 15th with a High/52 Low/ 14 on March 16th High/67 Low /31.
The sounds happened with the sun setting between 6pm-7:23pm.

"As the sun sets, temperatures drop quickly, causing the bark to cool and contract. The wood under the bark does not cool as quickly, causing the bark to split. The rifle shot sound that frost cracks make is the sudden snapping of wood that has reached its limit of flexibility. It’s sudden because until that moment the tree has maintained its tensile strength. As soon as the forces of expansion and contraction exceed the wood’s strength, the wood fails all at once."

Very interesting

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 05:03 PM

When it comes to twisted logic, this thread is the champion.

Throughout the thread the OP swears not to believe in Big Foot. She rightly states it is unexplained. Still, she implies it must be Big Foot because it couldn't possibly be anything else.

Yes a few of you have had some experiences with sketchy evidence, but, in the WV hollar I see nothing but an unexplained noise.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 05:22 PM

T Rex, give me a chance to play devils advocate for a moment. You bring up the fact that some ppls logic might appear to be flawed and I agree. One guy posted that he does not believe in bigfoot then advises the tree knocks are probably a predator trying to scare its prey. I see 2 separate problems with that. 1) I don't know of a predator that would put much effort in scaring its prey, instead they succeed by NOT scaring their prey so they might get close enough to make a meal out of them. 2) if we do accept that predators have to scare prey then we have to accept that they pick up a stick and hit a tree with it. Say what? If they can pick up a stick they need a hand and that limits our pool of suspects to a human or a primate doesn't it?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 06:05 PM

And I doubt it was cold enough in West Virginia the other night for trees to be popping all at once from the bitter cold.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 06:51 PM

I'm not a believer in the least for one big reason......

With millions of people going into the brush on a yearly basis, there is zero (0) evidence of anything unknown that might be remotely associated to a "Bigfoot".

There's alot of unexplained noises like Cathryn heard and I believe she heard something, but I disagree that it could be said myth.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 07:04 PM

I'm not a believer in the least for one big reason......

With millions of people going into the brush on a yearly basis, there is zero (0) evidence of anything unknown that might be remotely associated to a "Bigfoot".

There's alot of unexplained noises like Cathryn heard and I believe she heard something, but I disagree that it could be said myth.

I'm with hippie.
If one assumes bigfoot as the only option, you have bypassed the Ancient Alien Theory, of which there plenty of possibilities.
And there's equal "evidence" of Shapeshifters throughout history. This would explain no physical evidence as one can go from a human, to a monster, to a bird or to a bug. (or to a bigfoot maybe)
Skinwalker Ranch has a long history that goes waaayyyyy back.
You had to expect some jokes, I would have too.
But I would not be alarmed and don't think you need to be either.
Just don't get ABDUCTED !
Posted By: nycoyoteman

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 08:22 PM

Zero evidence?

Are tracks not evidence? Or are we dismissing “vermonsters” story and every one else’s that has seen tracks or the an animal that they say was Bigfoot. Even with the Patterson film people want more evidence. Myself included.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 08:22 PM

I wonder if Boco has seen anything or heard anything from the native people around in his travels

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 08:45 PM

Skyrat..You're wrong.
Every word was 100% true.

4 people sent me pms relating their own firsthand experiences with similar situations. They didn't post their stories on the open forum because they are afraid what has happened to me and this thread would happen to them.

Thing is i dont give a crapk whether a bunch of guys on a forum believe my story or not.the

I debated posting it here. Jerry told me not to because he knew what a bunch of dicks were on this forum..he warned me. He w as right.sadly

It happened..i know it and Jerry knows it

I got some very open and honest answers and some very good Info via pm..thanks to the decent guys for the exchange of ideas.

To the jerks who just can't believe something like thia can happen..i hope it happens to you so you can see how it feels.

Make that 5 people that have pmd me about their firsthand experiences

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
When it comes to twisted logic, this thread is the champion.

Throughout the thread the OP swears not to believe in Big Foot. She rightly states it is unexplained. Still, she implies it must be Big Foot because it couldn't possibly be anything else.

Yes a few of you have had some experiences with sketchy evidence, but, in the WV hollar I see nothing but an unexplained noise.

Not to mention the only explanation she will accept is a squatch. This whole thread turned into a squatch thread.

Here is something, if a person couldn't move that fast, a squatch couldn't either.

Also, if it was only 60 yards away, why not run over there and see what it was?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 08:54 PM

Because I was afraid of what it was. Duh..i was completely shocked by the noise.

Guys bash away.

The thread started going down hill about page 3.

Guys..ill return your pms

i

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 08:58 PM

Cathryn........you have more friends than you know. Keep your chin up. You're the better person.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Cathryn........you have more friends than you know. Keep your chin up. You're the better person.

X2

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

And don't quit posting

Before Buckne and Nightwish went all idiotic...we had a Bigfoot thread going for over 20+ pages

Who cares if there are doubters. There's more here who Support you Cathryn

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 10:15 PM

Skyrat..You're wrong.
Every word was 100% true.

4 people sent me pms relating their own firsthand experiences with similar situations. They didn't post their stories on the open forum because they are afraid what has happened to me and this thread would happen to them.

Thing is i dont give a crapk whether a bunch of guys on a forum believe my story or not.the

I debated posting it here. Jerry told me not to because he knew what a bunch of dicks were on this forum..he warned me. He w as right.sadly

It happened..i know it and Jerry knows it

I got some very open and honest answers and some very good Info via pm..thanks to the decent guys for the exchange of ideas.

To the jerks who just can't believe something like thia can happen..i hope it happens to you so you can see how it feels.

Make that 5 people that have pmd me about their firsthand experiences

Cathryn,
I believe you misunderstood one of my posts. Maybe read carefully what I replied, I have crazy things happening at my remote property in Alaska. I grew up in the woods and have hunted and fished my entire life and I cannot explain what is out there… Like I said, maybe you should reread my post.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 11:07 PM

Wow. So if someone doesn’t agree with what’s posted they’re in the wrong, lol? I believe in Sasquatch about as much as I believe in Black Panthers. I don’t make up stuff when I can’t explain something. There’s folks down here that SWEAR they’ve seen black panthers (black mountain lions) and they just don’t exist.
No doubt you heard something. Heck I hear stuff all the time and have no clue what it is, but I don’t let my imagination run wild and come up with something that just doesn’t exist. I’d more likely believe aliens before a squatch, lol.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/20/22 11:17 PM

Now if we were talking about lights in the sky, I've witnessed a couple things. No bigfeet though.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 12:41 AM

Jerry. You lied to me......

You DO have an account on Tman.

Wait till I get home.
LOL
whistle grin

Wanna Be ...my foot. grin

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 12:42 AM

You go girl…up over 5000 views by a whole bunch of nay sayers…

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 12:48 AM

Started thinking about the appearance of the sound moving. WV is loaded with hollers right, echo maybe?
Then started thinking about a gobbler on the roost. That son of a gun can make you think he’s 300 yards away when he’s only 75 by facing the other way. Never went around hitting trees nor heard anyone hitting them from a distance. But I’d imagine the sound would be different if I hit it on one side vs the other…especially from a distance.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 01:39 AM

Just to be clear. I don't believe or disbelieve in squach, aliens, ghosts, or anything else that some swear by, but, have not been proven by the Dr Fauci type establishment.

i am only saying there is no evidence of anything in the OP story.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 01:50 AM

Vermontster

What I dont understand is three hunters think they saw Bigfoot tracks in the snow and no one tracked him down? A once in a lifetime chance and no one took it. It would only take one dropping or hair and we would have him. I believe if they existed in the United States in this day and age there would be a body, hair or some other provable evidence. I mean how many people have seen them run across the road in their head lights but no one have hit one. Just logical at some point someone will hit one.You have to go against science, logic and evidence to believe in Bigfoot. In the face of reason, people come up with illogical explanations why no good evidence exists. That just logically points to greater likelihood it doesn't exist. As far as believing I'm not there yet. A little fact about sightings I find interesting is here in Ks more non hunting/city people seem to have seen more mountain lions than bobcats. Do a little psychology research on the human brain and one can understand a little more about how people sometimes get confused about what they see.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Vermontster

What I dont understand is three hunters think they saw Bigfoot tracks in the snow and no one tracked him down? A once in a lifetime chance and no one took it.

That is a valid point, and I agree.
Also pretty strange, overall, per capita, reports of sightings of UFO's and Sasquatches and such seemed to have dropped dramatically since virtually everyone on earth has the best camera and video recorder in their hand .. or pocket. Sure would like to know the # of trail cams have been active for the past several years, over baits of all types, on trails and in the wilderness areas.
Satellites with cameras that can read a magazine cover, thermal, IR,
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 02:34 AM

But the fact remains that Cathryn heard something very unusual and quite unexplainable when she was in the woods.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
But the fact remains that Cathryn heard something very unusual and quite unexplainable when she was in the woods.

Moosetrot

That I wouldn't question

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 03:04 AM

Could also be a bird that imitates noises.

My wife's cousin has a crow that imitates this weird sound he makes after a sentence. It's like a vvvvvvv'd sound.

The bird will caw caw caw, then 3-5 seconds later go vvvvvv'd. What's wild he sounds exactly like the wife's cousin when he does it.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 03:05 AM

Something I consider someone reports something outside the normals set by modern science: Science has tried to make me believe that first and ice age was coming, then it was global warming, and last but not least it is all man made. They told me if I ate according to the food pyramid that I would be more healthy. Now they want me to believe that even though they were making Covid 19 in a city in China, and that even though the outbreak began there, it was unrelated.

The news media says Biden got more votes than popular dem candidates like Obama or Clinton. If any of yall are lookin to raise the BS flag, there are plenty of places to start beside something you read on Tman
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 03:16 AM

Never read anything about Sas making sounds other than yells, why now if you have been there all along, maybe some individual making their own noises to spook something out.

Might want to be carrying a phone with ya next time might get some sound of it if it happens again. more difficult to
ignore sounds or pics !
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 11:00 AM

Back in the 80s there was a guy that was fascinated by sasquatch and ran an add in a paper for years looking for anybody that had proof. I think his name was Stan Gordon? He was up on this ridge about 20 miles south of me looking for sign, evidence etc. Well a few years later I ended up cutting a big piece of timber and some adjoining pieces spending at least 4 years up there. I asked the one big landowner about this guy and said this was the ground he worked and he never came up with anything. All I saw in my 4 years was one bear, a couple deer and not much else. Not much lived up there if I was going hunting I would pick farm country. I wish there were bigfoots around but I dont believe there are./

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Crowfoot
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Vermontster

What I dont understand is three hunters think they saw Bigfoot tracks in the snow and no one tracked him down? A once in a lifetime chance and no one took it.

That is a valid point, and I agree.
Also pretty strange, overall, per capita, reports of sightings of UFO's and Sasquatches and such seemed to have dropped dramatically since virtually everyone on earth has the best camera and video recorder in their hand .. or pocket. Sure would like to know the # of trail cams have been active for the past several years, over baits of all types, on trails and in the wilderness areas.
Satellites with cameras that can read a magazine cover, thermal, IR,

That's a fair question why didn't any of us track it down? Speaking for myself I had two other hunters I was hunting towards and they where to the west and below me. My group didn't have radios or phones so I wouldn't have been able to tell them I was going to do something different than our planed route. Plus I don't know if you have ever tried to walk in 16-20" of snow without snow shoes. It will wear you down quickly even faster climbing a mountain. The one hunter did follow the tracks for over a mile and up onto the top of the ridge and he had a 3 mile hike back to his truck through the deep snow. The other hunter had a similar hike back down to his truck. The ridge I was on was at 2650 ft of elevation. The crossed over that ridge and headed across the valley towards another ridge of equal elevation. It would not have been a easy task to follow the tracks in those conditions without snow shoes. Thats the only thing I can say other than it didn't enter my mind to follow it and I was already struggling with the snow depth .

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 11:48 AM

https://youtu.be/KcT98K7I0s8

It's likely a Raven...

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 11:53 AM

The biggest Thing I forgot to say as to why nobody followed the tracks was at that moment none of us could understand what we were Looking at!!!! A month after the fact when we were all talking about it is when we came up with it's possibly a bigfoot and who wants to listen to the all the way smarter then us people mocking you. Kinda like some jackwagons on here, because they obviously know so much more as to call it all BS

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by vermontster
The one hunter did follow the tracks for over a mile and up onto the top of the ridge and he had a 3 mile hike back to his truck through the deep snow. The other hunter had a similar hike back down to his truck. .

Over 4 miles, in the mountains, in 2' of snow ..... That is impressive, and a valid attempt I'd say. WOW

Did you attempt to clear the fallen in snow from around any of the track to maybe see the actual print ?
Did your, or your buddies boots make any sort of discernible prints ?

If you never saw an actual "print", could it have been an animal "bounding" as a mode of travel ?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 02:03 PM

The snow was loose and I tried to move it to see what the actual print looked like, but without success. The ledge area that the one hunter that was following the tracks said he couldn’t believe that anything except a person rock climbing could have made it. I have been all over those woods since the age of 12 I’m 58 now and I was born there. Something scaled a 40’ ledge wall almost straight up, there are no animal trails going up it just a porcupine trail along the bottom. I’ve always gone around the ledge wall and can’t imagine going up or down it.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 02:06 PM

I should say about the snow condition. It had about 1/2” of loose snow on top of a 1/4” crust and then loose snow underneath. I hope that helps you understand the conditions better.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 02:43 PM

I should say about the snow condition. It had about 1/2” of loose snow on top of a 1/4” crust and then loose snow underneath. I hope that helps you understand the conditions better.

4 miles in those conditions is just astounding. WOW

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 02:55 PM

The snow was loose and I tried to move it to see what the actual print looked like, but without success. The ledge area that the one hunter that was following the tracks said he couldn’t believe that anything except a person rock climbing could have made it. I have been all over those woods since the age of 12 I’m 58 now and I was born there. Something scaled a 40’ ledge wall almost straight up, there are no animal trails going up it just a porcupine trail along the bottom. I’ve always gone around the ledge wall and can’t imagine going up or down it.

Wow

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 06:38 PM

Wow.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 06:46 PM

Wow..interesting story

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 07:37 PM

Just heard from a relative.
He was hearing similar random knocks (he said pops) some idiot was in the woods with a Paslode nail gun spiking trees that were maybe scheduled to be harvested. Also kills them with copper nails. Thought first someone was building a treestand, but it was moving too much.
Pop,pop,pop, bit of a pause, then again , and again moving through the woods.
Treehugger maybe ?
Posted By: Oley

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 08:00 PM

Cathryn,
Probably wise not to share on this website. Too many smart arses with all the answers. Truth is Sasquatch ARE real. I personally have had a sighting from a distance of under 20 yards. Yes, it’s an eye opener for sure when your whole life you’ve thought these creatures were a myth. And no, wasn’t under the influence during the sighting and definitely not a misidentification!! But….the know it all folks will simply ignore honest people who share their experiences because it doesn’t fit their narrative or belief systems. They simply choose to ignore facts because they need a body for their proof. So be it! If a person were to give this topic an honest bit of research you would find overwhelming evidence in support of these creatures. Of course the know it all’s won’t spend the time doing the research because they think they already know it all. Anyhow, the noises you heard seem to fit the pattern of Sasquatch tree knocks. Are there other plausible reasons for those sounds as well? I suppose so but one can’t rule out that possibility as well. But what do I know?? Seeing is believing.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/21/22 09:27 PM

https://youtu.be/KcT98K7I0s8

It's likely a Raven...

I appreciate the link but that wasn't the sou d I heard.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/22/22 12:10 AM

Its up to 7 .now.

I read a few things only e about knocks but no recordings of the knocks that I could find anywhere

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/22/22 01:00 AM

Does it sound like some on here pounding their head on a keyboard You did say hollow?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/22/22 12:33 PM

It sounds like a deep hollow thump. Thump...thump. Then 30 second or so pause... Then repeats...thump

Thump..thump.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/22/22 01:37 PM

It sounds like a deep hollow thump. Thump...thump. Then 30 second or so pause... Then repeats...thump

Thump..thump.

That description makes it sound more like the first three beats of a grouse drumming cycle. It is the right time of the year. Maybe you weren't able to hear the rapid part that follows. There has to be a logical explanation. Keep listening out there.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/22/22 01:46 PM

We have ruffed grouse and ive heard them many times before and that wasn't the sound I heard.

Lol
.jeff

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/22/22 11:15 PM

We came.home through Davis and Canaan Valley today. They have allot of interesting history about bigfoot over there. And also around Black Water Falls.

Apparently there have been some.sightings over there.

Itd be a good place for one.
Lots of my laurel undergrowth and huge hemlock forests. Its part of monogahalia national forest

10 people now

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 12:00 AM

You sure the cast from "Mountain Monsters" isn't playing in them hollers?
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:22 AM

Cathryn, I don't know what you heard but there ain't no such thing as Bigfoot!
MILLIONS of trail cameras deployed in the U.S.A.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:28 AM

They're still new species being discovered Every year on this earth. Cameras or not.

Could be a shape-shifting squatch.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:28 AM

OK fine.

If you say it was Sasquatch, it was Sasquatch.

Congratulations.
Posted By: Savell

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:40 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:43 AM

Didn't know you trapped in Fouke.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:44 AM

[Linked Image]
I’ve seen that dude before. Never saw that ape looking beast though shocked
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:45 AM

I'm going with a raven , they sound different in real life than on a recording that was made how far away ?
They make noises that are different than anything I've heard before .
They make a bonging sound that I never heard before while in Canada .
Haven't heard it since .
We don't have them here , as far as I know .
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
[Linked Image]

Looks like ol Savell needs to head north and east! I'll bet he laid right down for ya!

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:57 AM

Sure Raven crazy whistle
Posted By: midlander

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 02:36 AM

[quote=330-Trapper]They're still new species being discovered Every year on this earth. Cameras or not.

Could be a shape-shifting

They aren't still discovering species that are 8ft tall... good grief.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 02:42 AM

And you know people have run out of rational explanations when they switch over to the 'shape shifter' theory. I know Mr Dobbins doesnt allow advertising, but I think I could make a fortune selling tinfoil to some folks on this site ...Lol all in good fun

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 02:51 AM

Cathryn you came to the right place- yankees know everything grin

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 02:58 AM

You need savell to trap bigfoot.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 02:59 AM

Cathryn you came to the right place- yankees know everything grin

And when the other folks run out of good reasoning, they like to throw the 'yankee' term. Last I checked, the yanks won the war smile

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 03:09 AM

Yup we been doing everything the yankee way and look where it has gotten us

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by run

If he does, I will have no choice but to apologize to Lefty and 330 smile

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 10:19 AM

Yup we been doing everything the yankee way and look where it has gotten us

It was going good til that Georgia peanut farmer got into office.
laugh

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 10:53 AM

Fred Eichler has a trail camera picture of something It's very clear . I believe it was taken in Texas. I don't know how to link or put pictures on this site. But i would think you could google it if interested. Just one trail camera photo I remember .

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 11:04 AM

Fred Eichler footage:

Posted By: 50fps

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 12:57 PM

Page 54, section 73.

https://documents2.theblackvault.com/documents/usace/Washington1975Atlas-Sasquatch.pdf
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 01:57 PM

Fred Eichler video look like someone in a gilly suit, kinda like me when I'm shed hunting where I may not be welcome. Lol

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 06:10 PM

I thought the same RM Trapper.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 06:48 PM

Yeah that definitely looks like someone in a ghillie suit walks into frame then turns and walks out.

If that were truly a bigfoot walking from right to left why did it take so long for the camera to trigger?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 07:45 PM

Yeah that definitely looks like someone in a ghillie suit walks into frame then turns and walks out.

If that were truly a bigfoot walking from right to left why did it take so long for the camera to trigger?

Because its bigfoot,. He'll never have a clear picture taken, leave scat, more than one washed out footprint, evidence of a bedding area or a carcass when they die.

Sorry if that's being a jack wagon but its reality.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 08:46 PM

Well, if I ever see one or a black panther while hunting I’m shooting it and skinning them out on our courthouse steps for everyone to see.
I seriously believe people can believe in whatever their imagination allows them to believe in. If you think you’ve seen a dragon and believe it enough then you’ve seen a dragon regardless of actual physical proof or what science says.
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 09:24 PM

[?

Because its bigfoot,. He'll never have a clear picture taken, leave scat,

if bigfoot is 8 foot tall and 400 hundred pounds and he pinches off a loaf, i hope you spot it before you step in it !!
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 10:20 PM

Because its bigfoot,. He'll never have a clear picture taken, leave scat, more than one washed out footprint, evidence of a bedding area or a carcass when they die.

Sorry if that's being a jack wagon but its reality.

Maybe, just maybe ole Bigfoot is a fuzzy, unclear individual.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 10:26 PM

"Fuzzy, unclear individual." That kinda sounds like my last performance review.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/23/22 11:32 PM

The only experience I’ve had similar Cathryn; I was using an estrus whine to try to call in a lonly elk when I heard a loud crack that sounded like a 2” branch breaking. Since elk often make sounds like that when they trot through the trees you can bet I was paying close attention to that area, then it happened again, and again. About every three or four seconds thwack! Then normal woods sounds then about five minutes later thwack three or four times again but it wasn’t getting closer or further away. Hmm, well I finished the sit and decided to go where the sounds were. Turns out a squirrel was cutting cones about sixty feet up. When they fell they hit branches and blow down. The squirrel would cut the cones then run down the tree gather them up and pack them over to another tree and bury them. Then up the tree and repeat.

Hope you solve the puzzle.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/24/22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by cmcf
It's already solved. No non-squatch theories accepted.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/24/22 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by midlander
Originally Posted by run

If he does, I will have no choice but to apologize to Lefty and 330 smile

grin
I'm just not closing the book, hoping one shows up...

I thought Osama bin Obama's wife would qualify

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/24/22 01:23 AM

Heard a raven doing his "Knocking" call in the bush today.
Sounds exactly like someone hitting a ball bat on a hollow tree trunk.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help - 03/24/22 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Originally Posted by cmcf
It's already solved. No non-squatch theories accepted.

Glad I am not the only one that saw this as a squatch only thread.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums