Home

Best tannery

Posted By: pafoxtrapper15

Best tannery - 01/02/23 09:19 PM

Hello all my girls recently trapped some of their first critters and I would like to send them away and get them tanned I’m looking for recommendations or feedback on some good and bad experiences you may have had and who they were with I know some big ones are foxx USA and moyles any input on them or any other suggestions thanks in advance!
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 09:34 PM

I’ve used Moyles for over 15 years. Very happy with the work they do. Turn around times might be a bit longer than some tanneries but in a way that is good. They get lots of business, which means people are happy with their work and recommend friends.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 09:42 PM

Depends on which side of the country ya live. Moyles out west here, I have used longer than most people are old, never had a problem, sometimes the turn around is long sometimes shorter depending on the fur year.

You would pay a bunch for shipping from them to you, might be better to check around some tannery's closer to you
I know of a couple but can't think of the names of them, some one else will chime in for sure.

I'm a dead set on Moyles customer though !
Posted By: k snow

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 09:49 PM

I'll pay to ship to Moyles, their quality is great. Turnaround is long, last year was 7 months for me.

Avoid USA Foxx, many have been burned by them.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 09:50 PM

I've used Z&L in the past and was very pleased.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 09:56 PM

Moyles for me. Shipping costs won't be huge, unless sending bears. Most of the fur they send back will be in a flat-rate box. Amazing how much they can get in a large flat rate!
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 09:59 PM

I’ve used Tubari in New Jersey for years now and they do a great job with pretty quick turnaround time. Might be a good option for you since its closer to home.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 10:24 PM

USA Foxx is not a good idea.I’m going on 3 years waiting for beaver to be tanned. The last time I talked to them they asked me to describe my beaver.Really don’t want to talk to them again.Ouch my butt hurts.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by adam m
I've used Z&L in the past and was very pleased.

Another vote for Z&L. Great prices and quality work. Fast turn around times. Last year was less than four weeks.

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 10:34 PM

Have any of you guys tried tanning your own using that stuff in the orange bottle?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 10:45 PM

We have used Sleepy Creek Tannery in Iowa for many years. They have always done a good job for us.

Yes, the HIde Tanning formula in the Orange bottle that you describe does a good job. I have done lots of of hides with it over the years. It will teach you the process of tanning and the steps it takes to take a hide from start to finish. The thicker hides are more work to break them to get a softer finished product.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 10:48 PM

Z&L here, never had a problem with them. Phone number is (718) 272-5190. They do everything by mail and phone, no website.

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 10:52 PM

Very interested in z and L but they have very little info and no website does anyone know where I can get a price list?
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 11:02 PM

I use z and l and have been pleased with the quality service and turnaround. Their prices are reasonable too.

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 11:15 PM

Do you happen to have a price sheet?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
We have used Sleepy Creek Tannery in Iowa for many years. They have always done a good job for us.

I agree. I use them as well. www.sleepycreektannery.com

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 11:53 PM

What kind of turn around times do they have
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Best tannery - 01/02/23 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by pafoxtrapper15
Very interested in z and L but they have very little info and no website does anyone know where I can get a price list?

Call this number 718-272-5190. Leo Lewin will answer. He is the owner. He’ll have you text him your phone number. He’ll mail you his price list and shipping instructions. I know, it seems a little convoluted, but Leo is a good guy. Old school Russian Jew immigrant , a little hard to understand on the phone. But I guarantee you won’t beat his prices, and his work is second to none. If you’re in the East, you’ll save a lot in shipping to NJ rather than to Moyles in Idaho.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 12:19 AM

Have any of you guys tried tanning your own using that stuff in the orange bottle?

The orange bottle stuff is “ok”. As with anything, there is a learning curve.

For your daughters’ first pelts - I would strongly recommend using a professional tannery. You can experiment on the pelts they catch once they get a few under their belts. First catches are nothing to play around with.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 01:11 AM

Sleepy Creek out of Iowa here.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 01:17 AM

What kind of turn around times do they have

Every tannery will vary throughout the years based on how busy they are. With the market as it is all them are very busy since so many are tanning the otherwise basically worthless furs. You'll need to call and ask each tannery for that info. Fastest or cheapest typically doesn't mean the best.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 01:32 AM

I have used Moyles in the past. No complaints, but the last couple times I tanned fur I went to sleepy Creek Tannery in Iowa. A young man starting a new business and doing a great job. I have no complaints at all and will even give them 2 thumbs up for the good work they do.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 01:40 AM

Turnaround has been about 60 days at Z&L. Last I talked to him he was adding 10% to this price list

Attached picture E3321564-43BA-4518-9630-4F4AEB524EAF.jpeg
Posted By: Farmdog

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 02:54 AM

Ive been happy in my dealings with sleepy creek in Iowa.
Posted By: K52

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 03:00 AM

Z&L for years, Leo’s a great guy.
Posted By: Rob & Neall

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 10:21 AM

Sleepy Creek...good people..pretty quick on turn around.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 11:08 AM

Arlington Cape in Ohio, Keith does a great job. Or get his tanning kit and do it yourself, great learning experience for your kids.
I've done several with his kit they've turned out great.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 11:55 AM

From the archives here at Tman

I have tried tanning pelts with just about every method out there and a couple ideas cooked up on my own. The one posted above by Boco is about as “fool proof” as it gets.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson

I agree. I use them as well. www.sleepycreektannery.com

Me as well. Took 40+ Beaver there a couple of years ago, on ADC’s recommendation, and was very satisfied. Personal service.

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 02:12 PM

A lot of very good info here thanks guys!
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 02:18 PM

My experiences over many years

Tubari good
Moyle great
Sleepy Creek fair ( have only sent 2 bears there one came back fine the other not so fine)
USA Foxx fair. I guess I was lucky
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 03:39 PM

Tubari has done an excellent job for me and almost always 5 or 6 weeks turn around.
Posted By: ack

Re: Best tannery - 01/03/23 04:38 PM

https://arlingtoncape.com/

Keith was the Ohio State Trappers Association president for several years.
You won't find a more knowledgeable person to deal with on tanning furs.

Whoever you choose please if you use staples on any of the fur double and triple check each pelt.
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: Best tannery - 01/04/23 02:08 PM

I've been using Moyles for years and they do a fantastic job but I'm going to try Sleepy Creek this year. The shipping to Moyles is a killer for me. I've also used USA Foxx in the past and wasn't happy with them.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Best tannery - 01/04/23 02:12 PM

i use moyles always been happy with them , plus they donate a large amount of money ever year to the nta
Posted By: Osky

Re: Best tannery - 01/04/23 04:26 PM

Sleepy creek does nice work HOWEVER I had two bear hides sent there that both came back damaged. Inexperience shaving, fleshing maybe?
I no longer have bears sent there but other critters no problem.

Osky
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Best tannery - 01/04/23 05:29 PM

Furs for Fun in Idaho does a good job too. Hector was the lead man at Moyles for a long time.
Posted By: Black dogs

Re: Best tannery - 01/04/23 05:45 PM

I have been happy with sleepy creek since great northern fur closed
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Best tannery - 01/04/23 05:59 PM

There is no doubt Hector does fine work, however do not expect great or easy contact about anything with him
seems he has a phobia about answering the phone, others will but then you have a wait till they call back any way !
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Best tannery - 01/04/23 06:22 PM

Grit guy is right. You'll get your fur when you get your fur with Hector...he prefers to tan fur over answer the phone.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums