Home

cowhide

Posted By: cowboy2005

cowhide - 02/08/18 07:25 PM

so, we had a cow butchered this morning (on farm) and i saved a piece of the hide. but now i am wondering how do i get the hair off?
Posted By: coontrapper2016

Re: cowhide - 02/09/18 12:19 AM

You oughta be able to soak it in water for a few days, then just put it on a beam and flesh the hair off. I did something similar once a few years ago and I think it worked out pretty good.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: cowhide - 02/09/18 12:22 AM

I used to make rawhide years ago and removed the hair by soaking the hide in lye water. Simply add wood ashes to the water and soak for a few days. Then put it on the fleshing beam and scrape away.
Posted By: bic

Re: cowhide - 02/09/18 12:28 AM

My dad soaked deer hides in a water and lime solution and all the hair slid right off. Then tanned them in a hemlock bark solution. You could have chopped wood with them, they were so stiff! smile
Posted By: Plum Billy

Re: cowhide - 02/09/18 01:52 AM

x2 all the stuff that has already been said.

Don't let it soak too long though... been there done that. The hide will rot and become very stinky, and then it is completely worthless, you will never get rid of the stink.

Another thing I've heard done is actually shaving off the hair. You would probably have to keep your knives sharp to do this

Has anyone here tried brain tanning?
Posted By: cowboy2005

Re: cowhide - 03/28/18 01:28 PM

thx guys
© 2024 Trapperman Forums