Home

New to snaring..HELP PLEASE!

Posted By: AuthorTrapper

New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 05:22 PM

Hello,
I'm going to try using cable restraints for the very first time this year for coyotes, grey fox, and bobcat. I'm totally new to snaring so I would appreciate any help!
Thank you,
AT
Posted By: Want To Be

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 05:26 PM

Me too!
Posted By: MChewk

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 05:30 PM

Guys why cable restraints? Is that what the law dictates? I would recommend to spend the money and get some lessons from a pro.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 05:34 PM

I don't think Texas mandates restraints unless something has changed recently.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 05:52 PM

I think what you want is snares, not clumsy and less effective cable restraints. To gain a little insight you could browse www.snareshop.com and www.dakotaline.com
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 05:52 PM

Purchasing a copy of James Lucero's book "Snarelines Across The West" would be a good start at getting educated about snaring.

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 06:20 PM

We are using cable restraints because we have lots of our neighbor's (and our own) cats and dogs running around and we don't want to kill one by accident.

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
Purchasing a copy of James Lucero's book "Snarelines Across The West" would be a good start at getting educated about snaring.

How much?
Posted By: Taximan

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 06:52 PM

It is a little spendy,Author-$45 but it would be good to get a general book on snaring.

Restraints may not help with cats but most dogs won't fight a regular snare enough to cause a problem.They usually just sit and wait.A relaxing lock would help.If you are really worried about it,just use foot traps.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 08:00 PM

You can always peruse the Archives here!
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 08:02 PM

AuthorTrapper if you're coming to Brownwood there will be some really good snaremen there to ask questions.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan
It is a little spendy,Author-$45 but it would be good to get a general book on snaring.

Restraints may not help with cats but most dogs won't fight a regular snare enough to cause a problem.They usually just sit and wait.A relaxing lock would help.If you are really worried about it,just use foot traps.

Setting the deer stops to 4-5 inch loop when the snare is closed will let all but the fattest of cats, and small bobcats to slip out.
Posted By: TEJAS

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 10:16 PM

Here you go AT.

Best of Luck this season!

Snarelines Across The West
Posted By: The Beav

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/20/19 10:22 PM

Stay out of entanglement and you will be good to go.
As to house cats with the snare being about 10" off the ground you should miss most If not all domestic cats.

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/21/19 05:12 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Dustin_Drews

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/23/19 06:56 AM

Don’t over think it. Biggest hurdle with snaring is having faith that the critter is dumb enough to put his head in the loop.
Once you have that faith you will be a changed man!
God Bless
Dustin
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/24/19 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dustin_Drews
Don’t over think it. Biggest hurdle with snaring is having faith that the critter is dumb enough to put his head in the loop.
Once you have that faith you will be a changed man!
God Bless
Dustin

Great advice
Posted By: Teacher

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/30/19 03:37 AM

I’m new to it too. Caught a couple beaver in them before I knew anything about in-line swivels, or how to suspend them over trails, or how to load them. Then I spoke with Newt. Good man. Good products. He’s got a good book on the subject.

I’ll be targeting coon this fall. ‘Been practicing hanging cable in the back yard. Practice helps get the Set time down. I’ve also been playing around with Newt’s “s” holder configuration. Win-lose-or-draw I’m going to learn something, develop confidence and enjoy our $8 coon. Who knows, I might even get good at it.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 09/30/19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher

‘Been practicing hanging cable in the back yard. Practice helps get the Set time down. I’ve also been playing around with Newt’s “s” holder configuration.
Hanging and setting cable is easy when you use a double ferrule as a whammy on a support wire attached to a tree or shrub You can twist/bend the support wire to place your snare in generally any position you want. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Newt

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 10/01/19 11:10 AM

"Hanging and setting cable is easy when you use a double ferrule as a whammy on a support wire attached to a tree or shrub You can twist/bend the support wire to place"

The trick is ----------------------------Where you set that snare
Posted By: coydog2

Re: New to snaring..HELP PLEASE! - 10/01/19 04:27 PM

When I set snares for coon .I always have the house cats slip through the snare no catch. As for dogs if the dogs have been tied up some time in there life they will be sitting there wait for you. I had let go all the ones that was caught and been tied up some time in there life. If it is a wild dog it will do like a coyote.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums