Home

coyote glands for rendering

Posted By: danvee

coyote glands for rendering - 12/29/17 02:55 AM

So I have a gallon of coyote glands anal, bladders and hock glands also about 6 inches of anal tract. Question how should I go about rendering this to make a gland lure. They are all frozen and not ground yet so looking to get a good start on a lure for next year.
Posted By: tbn

Re: coyote glands for rendering - 12/29/17 12:09 PM

Did you use the search button? Or google search like baitandluremakers.com forum?
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: coyote glands for rendering - 12/29/17 01:22 PM

I am not an expert but I would grind them fine then put them in a jar with a little high quality urine.Then let them age for at least a year in a cool dry place.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: coyote glands for rendering - 12/29/17 02:08 PM

Depends what the desired response from your lure you want is on what you do with them. I'm not going to tell you to grind add urine and age. I'm going to tell ya to search the archives. Jameson, Lenon, Graham, Dobbins, June and many other bait and lure makers have given responses on questions like these.
It's pretty easy to ruin a bunch of glands by just adding urine and aging. You have to know when done is done and hopefully have it right.
Here's a good one to start ya out.
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/644706/LURE_-_Coyote_Gland_Lure
Posted By: tbn

Re: coyote glands for rendering - 12/30/17 02:07 AM

Idk, I grind cover in urine let sit a year then add 2 other ingredients and it hammers them dead.Glands are such a versatile tool.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: coyote glands for rendering - 12/30/17 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: tbn
Idk, I grind cover in urine let sit a year then add 2 other ingredients and it hammers them dead.Glands are such a versatile tool.

You must know what you're doing. A quote from Mark June, on this very subject. "Now if you don't know what you're doing they can turn to junk REAL quick too."
Posted By: lureintheanimal

Re: coyote glands for rendering - 12/31/17 03:07 AM

"Now if you don't know what you're doing they can turn to junk REAL quick too."!

x2 grin
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: coyote glands for rendering - 12/31/17 02:30 PM

If you don't feel comfortable with what you have done do some field testing with the material and see what the results are with animal reaction. In my early years I certainly spoiled some batches of lure and ingredients that I was working up for the first time through trial and error.

I still remember the experience of my testing and learning the various reactions of thickening/viscosity products on a lure. But that is another story in itself.

This happens but it is a learning experience. A price we all have to pay in doing what we do. I always kept these "not so satisfactory batches" in the hopes I could use them as another ingredient in the years to come. I did in fact learn how to utilize these materials up gradually down the road as I developed other products.

They can be used as a spike in another product such as a bait, bait solution, bait station material or some other item that will be of some value at some point. Always label, identify ingredients and date a compromised batch of whatever it may be. This way you always know what it is for possible future use and help you to determine what it may be best used for in another product.

I have very little " learning experience " material that I haven't found a personal or commercial use for over the years. Just some food for thought.
Posted By: danvee

Re: coyote glands for rendering - 01/01/18 08:31 PM

Thanks to all for the advice will give it a test drive!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums