Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LURE - Coyote Gland Lure #644706
03/22/08 04:43 PM
03/22/08 04:43 PM
Creek Texas
B
Billfrank Offline OP
trapper
Billfrank  Offline OP
trapper
B

Creek Texas
I have been making my own coyote gland lure for quite some time. Its always been told to me that the best gland lure is one where the glands have been aged. Over the past 3 years I have kept records that prove to me that that is not always the case. I have had better success at trapping those "ghost yotes" with fresh gland lure. I know not everyone makes their own lures or for that matter knows what’s in the lure they are buying. This question kinda shoots at those who make their own lures.

Any thoughts……?

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Billfrank] #644762
03/22/08 05:23 PM
03/22/08 05:23 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
I always use fresh glands in combination urine, gland, passion type lures and this has proven best for that type of lure. Aged or tainted glands work best in lures made for hole sets with a heavy food type base. From my experiences and testing, tainted glands elicit a rolling response from canines so they will want to dig them up and out of the hole so they can roll on them and a digging response is generally what one desires at a hole set. Ace

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Asa Lenon] #644778
03/22/08 05:44 PM
03/22/08 05:44 PM
kansas
P
possum5676 Offline
trapper
possum5676  Offline
trapper
P

kansas
good post, i talked with paul dobbins one time and he stresed that he would not use fox glands in his gland lures until they had aged several years, his version of it was the glands need to become mellow, and stop changing their odor before they were even to be considered useable for his gland lure, i myself have always like a stout loud gland lure, and like asa said i always liked it in the bottom of a hole. Seems every luremakes is a bit different and has his own reasons for it, some use castor in their beaver lures from anywhere, others only from a cetain part of the country and or from a certain type of tree that eaten by the crittern in a certain area.

none
Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: possum5676] #644873
03/22/08 06:48 PM
03/22/08 06:48 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

What Paul refers to is that nice smooth smell that glands get to after several and sometimes many years. Fresh is an exceptional attractant because it is obviously the smell of a "recent" visitor while aged glands as Asa points out are usually built into different lures to perform different ways. Case in point although very unscientific is that my lure Cherry Red which is a lure with aged and fresh red fox glands as a base is not ordered nearly as heavily each year by my customers as Fox Frenzy which is built upon fresh glands (no aged). Now some customers like one or the other but repeat sales favors fresh in my biz.

Mark

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: ] #644881
03/22/08 06:53 PM
03/22/08 06:53 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Denny, I would susect that all lure makers stop their glands from working at the junction/spot they want. I do. Once you stop em fresh ground and preserved they can't grow up to be aged \:\( Now if you don't know what you're doing they can turn to junk REAL quick too.

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: ] #644899
03/22/08 07:07 PM
03/22/08 07:07 PM
Oakland County, MI
R
RockyII Offline
trapper
RockyII  Offline
trapper
R

Oakland County, MI
I have no where near the experience in lure formulation as some but my ideology is solid. No doubt that aged has taken their share and has its place but, I prefer fresh. Thinking in an evolutionary context, just how often do you think canines come across an aged gland lure smell? How often do you think they come across a fresh smell? Which one do you think will put him on high alert because it isn't natural. Now think about whose nose decides if its a lure they want to buy? The animal? Nope, the trapper. Which odor do you think is going to grab his attention? Will an aged smell work, of course, canines are scavengers. Just don't over look their predatory instinct as well. Fresh has its place.

The more I catch, the poorer I get.
Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: RockyII] #644938
03/22/08 07:38 PM
03/22/08 07:38 PM
Creek Texas
B
Billfrank Offline OP
trapper
Billfrank  Offline OP
trapper
B

Creek Texas
Thanks for the input guys....where's John Graham at???LOL

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Billfrank] #645202
03/22/08 10:25 PM
03/22/08 10:25 PM
Creek Texas
B
Billfrank Offline OP
trapper
Billfrank  Offline OP
trapper
B

Creek Texas
^^^^^^^^^^^^

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Billfrank] #645381
03/23/08 12:30 AM
03/23/08 12:30 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I think maybe you show them something they haven't seen before and you will catch more coyotes, especially the educated ones. The older big ones have seen most of the sets and lures in their area before. If they are not caught the first visit, they seem to ignore the set if it doesn't really appeal to them.
I used two different things this season, only trapped 2-3 farms close to town, no fuel money. I used a new set(to the coyotes) and a different attractant, I seemed to catch more with fewer traps. Could be they needed to check out the newer things? T.20

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Tactical.20] #645404
03/23/08 01:02 AM
03/23/08 01:02 AM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
All the coyote gland lure I made is with fresh glands and so is the bait I make with bobcat meat, it is fresh and not tainted. I belive fresh is better.

"Oh make no mistake, it’s not revenge I'm after—It’s a reckoning":

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: ] #645469
03/23/08 07:40 AM
03/23/08 07:40 AM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Nice post John. I complety agree.

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: huntinglonewolf] #645521
03/23/08 08:12 AM
03/23/08 08:12 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Good post John Graham! I agree 100% on coyote gland lures being deadly on fox and bobcat. Ace

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Asa Lenon] #645529
03/23/08 08:22 AM
03/23/08 08:22 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I make my own gland lure. The glands are aged untill they don't stink anymore. When I want a fresh smell I make a set with urine and or a dropping. I think even fresh glands are a curiosity attracter. You remove the anus from an animal, grind it up and put it at a set. Animals certainly recognize that smell but not the source. After all there is no animal there to give off that smell. Thats the curiosity I'm refering too. There is no doubt it is effective. But for a scent the animal recognizes and checks out cause it is hardwired to do so, I prefer good urine or a dropping.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: huntinglonewolf] #645537
03/23/08 08:32 AM
03/23/08 08:32 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There are and have been varying opinions on glands and what is considered best, aged or somewhat fresh glands in a formula. I have long been a user of a more fresh gland product and have preached the value of them for many years in my experience.

However with that being said the use of a more aged and fluid contact gland base material has its merit also. When used in a specific scent for a desired result or used in a bait the addition of the aged gland material allows this odor to enhance and blend more readily with other ingredients much better.

Aged glands are preferred by some due to the fact that they can be extended more easily and used in a more fluid formula. Therefore allowing you get more from a gallon of material vs a fresh paste gland like consistency which limits your production considerably unless you boost it via a base matrix material which will compliment the formula.

Both types of glands have their strong points and merit as stated at least in my formulation uses.The more true the odor the more recognition a target specie has of its presentation I believe. The more aged and extended it becomes the more curiosity it will possess and at times that is a desired result.

But in understanding this I have found curiosity plays a major role in animal capture percentages. So when weighing all the facts, curiosity or unfamiliar out of the norm odors or combinations of such many times will out perform the so called deemed "natural odors".

An animals need of identification and recoginition is quite strong especially a canines. So the use of different type aged or fresh based gland materials certainly has its place on a productive trapline.

The value of both fresh and aged gland materials is no doubt proven effective as testament by all the different types sold on the market today.There is a place and use for both kinds of material.The deterimining factor as to which is really hands above the rest is a hard race to call.

I believe the use of a good balance of both types of glands will serve to give the best result on any given trapline.A good formulator with an understanding of his materials and effects will use these ingredients to his advantage.

Most all of my gland products are what would be considered "fresh gland" material in nature except one product. But that particular product calls for the effects that only an aged gland material will provide by initiating a particular desired reaction from an animal when blended with other ingredients.In this case aged is best and will far out produce fresh in this type of formula.

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Bob Jameson] #645839
03/23/08 12:02 PM
03/23/08 12:02 PM
Creek Texas
B
Billfrank Offline OP
trapper
Billfrank  Offline OP
trapper
B

Creek Texas
Great read guys, where you at Paul? whats your thoughts?

TTT

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Bob Jameson] #645864
03/23/08 12:18 PM
03/23/08 12:18 PM
East TN.
High Noon Offline
trapper
High Noon  Offline
trapper

East TN.
Nice reply Bob, curiosity killed the cat so they say. I've found the same in deer scents and attractants. Animals smell their own kind all the time. Some will stop to investigate and others wiil just continue on.
In deer hunting and in trapping I like to use a combo of scents most of the time. If I use a scent that doesn't carry far, I'll use something else like skunk essence to draw them closer to the set where they can then smell my set lure. I really like this when going for Cats. Curiosity scents seem to work better for ME than straight gland lures. Straight fresh Yote glands are hard to beat though.
I like to use fresh glands most of the time. But as you said there is a time and place for everything. Learning the time and place is what seems to be the challenge that most hunters and trappers find hard to do.

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: High Noon] #645901
03/23/08 12:39 PM
03/23/08 12:39 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
High Noon wrote...Curiosity scents seem to work better for ME than straight gland lures.

I agree, curiosity has proven in testing to most always be the #1 most consistent attraction. I mix all the callings in each species formulation that I know of, hunger, passion, curiosity, nature, territorial, etc just to be sure the right thing is there for the mood of the animal at the time of a set visit. Ace

Last edited by Asa Lenon; 03/23/08 05:06 PM.
Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Asa Lenon] #646025
03/23/08 02:28 PM
03/23/08 02:28 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
"Great read guys, where you at Paul? whats your thoughts?"

LOL - I hadn't opened it because it was titled coyote gland lure and I don't have one. Just now had the time and figured I'd see what was said.

I may try some of the fresh glands in some formulations in the future. My mentor stressed for foxes, aged was better, so that's what I've used, and with great results.

I like to keep an open mind, especially when noted lure makers are talking, like they did on this post.

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: Paul Dobbins] #646029
03/23/08 02:30 PM
03/23/08 02:30 PM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Looks like it needs to be put in the archives.

Re: Coyote Gland Lure [Re: huntinglonewolf] #646045
03/23/08 02:41 PM
03/23/08 02:41 PM
Creek Texas
B
Billfrank Offline OP
trapper
Billfrank  Offline OP
trapper
B

Creek Texas
Thanks everyone for your time and thoughts.

Bill

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91