General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: j lord] #1043598
12/12/08 01:18 AM
12/12/08 01:18 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Low lands usually Dry out just before they flood again...Lol.... The lay of the land and our medium/light soil allows you to keep sets working pretty good.... Plus... western coyotes are Dumber smile

You guys did Good! Way to work it Hard!!

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Vinke] #1043602
12/12/08 01:22 AM
12/12/08 01:22 AM
Southwest Tennessee 45 yrs.
warden Offline
trapper
warden  Offline
trapper

Southwest Tennessee 45 yrs.
Don't give up Western guys. We will keep showing you what we catch here in the East. LOL just joking.

"FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!"
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: warden] #1043624
12/12/08 01:53 AM
12/12/08 01:53 AM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Now come on guys there nothing to trapping weather it's in the east or west.

"Oh make no mistake, it’s not revenge I'm after—It’s a reckoning":

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: huntinglonewolf] #1043697
12/12/08 05:57 AM
12/12/08 05:57 AM
Mississippi
M
mike jerrell Offline
trapper
mike jerrell  Offline
trapper
M

Mississippi

This is such a crock of s@#t. Im almost ashamed to dignify it with a response,Almost, I have never trapped anywhere but Mississippi and a small part of Ala. Do I consider myself a good trapper,Hel no,Beenworkin at it over 50 yrs and aint mastered it yet. I still miss critters,make hind foot catches,snare beaver by the tail and catch stuff in the middle of the body somtimes in bobgrip traps, I never made a video or been to a National Convention, I finally got a digital camera but aint learned to post pictures yet. I dont even own a belisle or mb trap, Got a bunch of dukes and bridgers though. I trap because I love it and have loved ie since i was a little boy. Im sure each reigon has its challenges and benefits. I do beleive a trapper that is physically able and willing to adapt can given time trap anywhere and catch fur. Some of you talk about the vast stretches of land out west,well I know of lakes and reservoirs that are vast too,but ya cant just catch a fish anywhere you throw your hook,same principle I imagine. I enjoy seein the catch pictures and hearin the stories from other parts of the country,but I wouldnt give 2 cents to trap there, Im satisfied trappin my homeland.Who cares who is the best? Truth be known if there is a best trapper,its probably someone ya never heard of. The best guitar picker in Nashville is probably flippin hamburgers or drivin a Taxi. I almost feel sorry for you super competitive types, You are out of youre element,You should inhabit the coporate world or go play dungeons and dragons or somthin.

Gotta spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape. ~ Jerry Jeff Walker
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1049909
12/15/08 11:05 AM
12/15/08 11:05 AM
Idaho
Lynxcattrapper Offline
trapper
Lynxcattrapper  Offline
trapper

Idaho
And you survived that kiotee???? grin grin

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: don Wolf] #1050182
12/15/08 01:21 PM
12/15/08 01:21 PM
St.Paul, MN
Fur-monger Offline
trapper
Fur-monger  Offline
trapper

St.Paul, MN
Originally Posted By: don Wolf
Urbanites are a real problem in the east. They drive domn the roads and gawk at trappers. Then they stop and ask if you need any help or ask if you have permission to be on the property your on.
The east has a bunch of nosy people and if it is not the urbanites it is the sheriff asking if your running a meth lab.

Wow Don! That is the truth! I flipped my canoe last season and did what I could to stay alive. I triple bagged my matches and so had a warm fire to dry out and warm all my parts I couldn't feel.
So I walk out and leave my canoe to come back and get it later, cause I cant get a truck to it, and I wasn't about to jump back in the canoe and finish as nightfall was upon me now.
So when I come back to retrieve my canoe, its gone. I report it to the CO and he says he finds it in a barn in the adjacent property to my spill. He does NOTHING about their telling bold faced lies about not finding my canoe (all the while its in their barn). And when I finally get my canoe, the CO reprimands me for trespassing due to my flipping my canoe in winter! Hello?! Its deadly! But he doesn't seem to care. These are his buddies and he covers for their theft and tells me to go to Hades, and to never flip my canoe on their section of river again.

That is trapping in the east!

John 1:1 Ev apxn nv O loyos, kai O loyos nv TTpos tov 0eov, kai 0eos nv O loyos.
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Fur-monger] #1050311
12/15/08 02:28 PM
12/15/08 02:28 PM
Scotland , Pa
J
JimVerdier Offline
trapper
JimVerdier  Offline
trapper
J

Scotland , Pa
LMFAORRH

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: mike jerrell] #1050354
12/15/08 02:59 PM
12/15/08 02:59 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted By: mike jerrell

This is such a crock of s@#t. Im almost ashamed to dignify it with a response,Almost, I have never trapped anywhere but Mississippi and a small part of Ala. Do I consider myself a good trapper,Hel no,Beenworkin at it over 50 yrs and aint mastered it yet. I still miss critters,make hind foot catches,snare beaver by the tail and catch stuff in the middle of the body somtimes in bobgrip traps, I never made a video or been to a National Convention, I finally got a digital camera but aint learned to post pictures yet. I dont even own a belisle or mb trap, Got a bunch of dukes and bridgers though. I trap because I love it and have loved ie since i was a little boy. Im sure each reigon has its challenges and benefits. I do beleive a trapper that is physically able and willing to adapt can given time trap anywhere and catch fur. Some of you talk about the vast stretches of land out west,well I know of lakes and reservoirs that are vast too,but ya cant just catch a fish anywhere you throw your hook,same principle I imagine. I enjoy seein the catch pictures and hearin the stories from other parts of the country,but I wouldnt give 2 cents to trap there, Im satisfied trappin my homeland.Who cares who is the best? Truth be known if there is a best trapper,its probably someone ya never heard of. The best guitar picker in Nashville is probably flippin hamburgers or drivin a Taxi. I almost feel sorry for you super competitive types, You are out of youre element,You should inhabit the coporate world or go play dungeons and dragons or somthin.

This is a very "wise" post!

-Goofy-
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: huntinglonewolf] #1050456
12/15/08 03:36 PM
12/15/08 03:36 PM
southern W.Va.40 yrs old
fishdaddy Offline
trapper
fishdaddy  Offline
trapper

southern W.Va.40 yrs old
Originally Posted By: huntinglonewolf
This is getting quite interesting. Trapping coyotes no matter where your at is very easy, now cats the eastern trapper has an advantage is they can drive right too the cats unlike the west.

trapping in the east you can drive right to them.lmao.you ever traped in the east?

Last edited by fishdaddy; 12/15/08 03:38 PM.

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: IDAHOOTTERMAN] #1050928
12/15/08 07:23 PM
12/15/08 07:23 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
i will tell ya, given the tools i have been able to use, the foot trap, cage trap, conibear trap, snare, and Cable Restraint (even though i think the last 2 are the same only different on paper). With these tools i can catch fur in any part of the country. I agree 100 percent with slim pedersen. I have trapped in NW Heaven uhhh i mean Iowa in the corn/bean fields and rolling hills and flat country with not many trees except where water exists. I grew up trapping there, then moved to central iowa where i had more timbers to work with but still much the same, but i did have to adjust a little. Then i moved to Southern Iowa and had lots of ridges and big timbers mixed with pasture land and some crop fields scattered around. I had to adjust again and learn how the animals move. Like slim said, animals adapt, they all have the same habits, but their situation they are faced with is different. Raccoons will use trails in new york as much as they will in Iowa. true i can catch more coon in some parts of iowa than new york, but in iowa the coon are more centered as far as population goes, new york in some parts, like near the adirondacks i was in a few weeks ago, they are more spread out.

I have had people tell me i couldn't catch coyotes in places like new york or other eastern places like i do here, i say, give me 2 or 3 years to live in those places and learn the lay of the land, and i would be. have to learn the places the animals like and dislike. I like cold rolling into new places, I trapped for 2 weeks close to the Big Black River in Mississippi near Jackson. that was a big adjustment, but i caught coon in trails they were using, caught otters in same kind of places in missouri and iowa, beaver, coyote, the same. even bobcats.

this east vs west stuff is stupid, i don't believe it for one minute. Bob Wendt said something a few years ago i believe, there isn't a coyote alive east to west, pinched before, caught before and escaped, etc. that cannot be caught with a foot trap. alot of factors involved in each place, competition, sets used, etc. animals that are alive now have learned everything they know even their habits. they all can be caught by trappers whether they live in idaho or new york or somewhere in between.

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: IDAHOOTTERMAN] #1050960
12/15/08 07:31 PM
12/15/08 07:31 PM
southern W.Va.40 yrs old
fishdaddy Offline
trapper
fishdaddy  Offline
trapper

southern W.Va.40 yrs old
ive seen pics of the west i dont think i could do any good there not enuff trees..

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: fishdaddy] #1051120
12/15/08 08:12 PM
12/15/08 08:12 PM
PA
cndgmn Offline
"Alphabet"
cndgmn  Offline
"Alphabet"

PA
Quote:
I almost feel sorry for you super competitive types, You are out of youre element,You should inhabit the coporate world or go play dungeons and dragons or somthin.

Well said,funny,but well said.I'm a perfectionist and exacting but competitive I ain't.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91