Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Teeth on a beaver trap [Re: roztocki] #8150096
06/05/24 05:45 AM
06/05/24 05:45 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Teeth positioned below the jaw and bent down slightly cause the jaws to close tighter as the foot pulls. Dig in so to speak. On a proper drown rig we do not need a lot of time to insure success.

Opposed to topside where when closing the teeth are facing up. Make sense?

Last edited by nimzy; 06/05/24 05:48 AM.
Re: Teeth on a beaver trap [Re: Oakey] #8151038
06/06/24 05:38 PM
06/06/24 05:38 PM
Craigmont, Idaho
M
marty weatherup Offline
trapper
marty weatherup  Offline
trapper
M

Craigmont, Idaho
Originally Posted by Oakey
I knew 2 of the best beavers trappers here , 500-600 a year and they preferred the # 4 jump and quit using the 14 because of to many losses. This was pre pit pan days. A lot of misses can be attributed to loose jaw being lifted up as Johnny Thorp discusses. The foot picks loose jaw up goes under jaw lifts it then pan gets stepped on. I’m sure I’ve had this happen with a Brigger #5 dbl as trap sitting in bed snapped off with 4 lbs pan tension. If you want a toothed trap cut the ends off 20 penny nails and weld on.

I must be missing something here. You said they preferred the 4 jump to the 14 jump because they lost too many in the 14s. They are the same trap except for the teeth in the 14. I’ve used both extensively and always felt the 14 held better though I lost very few to either.

I’m not a 500 beaver a year man but I have caught a few. 200 on my best year doing control work.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91