No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trapping in bear country [Re: coolbrze] #6149998
02/06/18 03:29 PM
02/06/18 03:29 PM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

There are now so many bears in PA that my son and I don't start setting traps until the week of bear season, which is the week of Thanksgiving. The problem is afterwards, with warm weather they still are not denning up at the usual time. So this year we waited until mid-December to set, and did not catch any bears as a result. We also did not have a great trapping season, either, with a lot fewer cool catches, and the usual slew of possums. Not sure what the solution is. Whenever there are bears around, our traps will get messed with or will have a bear in them, which sucks and is too exciting for me. When we wait for them to den, then a good bit of the trapping season is lost. And yes, we do bear hunt. But we haven't killed a PA bear since 2006...

Re: Trapping in bear country [Re: coolbrze] #6150052
02/06/18 04:37 PM
02/06/18 04:37 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
use smaller traps so bears can pull out easy I had to do this for wolfs here in u p

Re: Trapping in bear country [Re: coolbrze] #6150059
02/06/18 04:45 PM
02/06/18 04:45 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

biggest we go is MB550, running them almost exclusively except on water sets, and I am not going back to smaller traps. the MB550 is about as perfect a trap as can be had, fits fox, coyote, and bobcat. guy from maine said at the 2017 PA rendezvous said no. 2 sized traps were just right for fisher, but i gotta say, that 550 looks right. doubt i will connect on a fisher anyhow, so the 550s remain. we gotta shoot more bears. our season is four days and we kill between 3,000 and 4,000, and there are still a pile of bears left afterwards. PGC is very conservative about harvesting everything down to grasshoppers, so killing more bears is not going to happen until they are eating three people a day for a year

Re: Trapping in bear country [Re: coolbrze] #6150119
02/06/18 05:52 PM
02/06/18 05:52 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I'd be getting me a bear tag for that area~ whistle

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Trapping in bear country [Re: Law Dog] #6150134
02/06/18 06:18 PM
02/06/18 06:18 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
I'd be getting me a bear tag for that area~ whistle

We do, oh we do. We have a good sized crew that hunts, and we do drives along with two other camps. But the country is big, very rough and steep, and the bears have all the advantages. We do not bait in PA, and the season is really just four days, with a few extra days tacked on in more developed areas, like the Poconos. So it's crazy in the woods during Thanksgiving week, the bears go into hiding in the steepest, thickest laurel patches, and then the bears come back out to play the day after season ends. A lot of people are pushing for longer bear seasons, at least make them concurrent with deer. Anyhow, we do hunt bears, and that is no guarantee of getting one. I have only killed one PA bear in 20 years of hunting them, though we do have this policy of no widows no orphans - in our camp we do not shoot cubs or sows with cubs.

Re: Trapping in bear country [Re: coolbrze] #6150290
02/06/18 09:31 PM
02/06/18 09:31 PM
Northern Maine
Jeremiah Wood Offline
trapper
Jeremiah Wood  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
For those who followed the Maine thread last fall, we had a nightmare season dealing with bears. I haven't figured out a great way to deal with them other than pulling a set if it's hit two or three times, and waiting till they go to bed. Thing is, bear bait sites are great draws for marten/fisher so we often set near them. Bears finally went down about halfway through the season. I ended up with a dozen or so marten/fisher boxes damaged beyond repair. Who knows how many snapped traps that could have caught fur. Years with low food abundance are better as the bears tend to go to den earlier.

Re: Trapping in bear country [Re: coolbrze] #6151941
02/08/18 07:47 PM
02/08/18 07:47 PM
VA
coolbrze Offline OP
trapper
coolbrze  Offline OP
trapper

VA
Unfortunately here in VA the bears don't really go to den much. We had a cold spell that was between -5 & 10 degrees w/ wind chills for 3 weeks solid & still had bears on our trail cams about every other day. They were however smaller ones. Maybe the bigger ones denned up for a few weeks, I don't know. Just gotta keep on keepin' on I guess...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread