No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6122913 - 01/12/18 05:41 PM I thought it only happened to other trappers...
fishnhunts Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Checking sets the other day I had a nice coyote bouncing in the trap, pulled up to it, got out and opened my back door for my gun and glanced through my truck window only to see my coyote sprinting toward the wood line. He stopped, turned around and smiled at me and slipped off into the woods. Catch circle indicated he'd been there a while. I'm sure I'll never forget that one!

#6122921 - 01/12/18 05:46 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
Jurassic Park Online   content
trapper

Loc: MB
Oh man thatís gotta be the ultimate slap in the face. Coming up to a catch circle with no animal is bad. Watching it run away has gotta be worse! Lol

#6122922 - 01/12/18 05:48 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
Cathouse Jim Offline
trapper

Loc: Hathaway Montana
That was polite of him to smile - I always get a smarmy smirk...

NTA member
MTA member
NRA member
AARP - Still Avoiding

#6122929 - 01/12/18 05:50 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
ringtailtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Illinois
I have that hat, and tee shirt from that very same concert. grin

#6122942 - 01/12/18 06:02 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper

Loc: Oscoda, Michigan
The smarmy smirk... sticks in your memory for many years. I vividly remember pulling up in a mini bike when I was 11 or 12 to watch a monster coon escape.

#6122944 - 01/12/18 06:03 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Georgia
Twice in one day.....1 hour apart...toe caught coyotes.

It's painful to watch.

...and talk about...

Edited by Swamp Wolf (01/12/18 07:37 PM)

#6122987 - 01/12/18 06:39 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"

Loc: potter co. p.a.
5 guy's standing there watching me on a grey fox.gun shot,miss from 2 ft,100 yd dash to a big woodchuck hole.

Hickory Garden Farms

#6122996 - 01/12/18 06:45 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: ringtailtrapper]
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper

Loc: IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Originally Posted By: ringtailtrapper
I have that hat, and tee shirt from that very same concert. grin

Me too - only difference was it was a red fox.

#6123029 - 01/12/18 07:15 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper

Loc: Oscoda, Michigan
Grandson and his father checked a coyote set missed on first shot only had one bullet in gun and coyote got out stopped 20 yards to wink good bye.

#6123038 - 01/12/18 07:25 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
RonH Offline
trapper

Loc: North central Ohio
Happened to me with a mink in a coil spring blind set. He took off just as a got there, running straight at a 110 in a trail. Figured I'd get to watch him get caught. He wiggled thru it and kept going. Looked at 110 and the freezing rain we had that night was enough to coat the trigger in ice and keep it from going off.

#6123058 - 01/12/18 07:50 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
Tommie Offline
trapper

Loc: middle tennessee
I had it happen to me with a coyote once. It was a snowing one day I had caught a big male. I had stop to get my phone out to get a picture and the next thing I knew he was pumping the stake out .I couldn't get the rifle loaded quick enough .Then the foot chase started for a 1/2 mile. I finally found him tangle in a fence,but somewhere in the chase I had lost all but 2 of my 22 bullets. But he ended up taking a truck ride home. That's when I quit using rebar and started using earth anchors.

#6123098 - 01/12/18 08:23 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
JakeDog Offline
trapper

Loc: Morehead city NC
Originally Posted By: fishnhunts
Checking sets the other day I had a nice coyote bouncing in the trap, pulled up to it, got out and opened my back door for my gun and glanced through my truck window only to see my coyote sprinting toward the wood line. He stopped, turned around and smiled at me and slipped off into the woods. Catch circle indicated he'd been there a while. I'm sure I'll never forget that one!

Problem is he won't forget the lesson either -

Happens though -

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.

#6123125 - 01/12/18 08:58 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
Yes sir Offline
trapper

Loc: Marion Kansas
Happened to me once. I always have gun loaded and ready when I pull up to a set and I always check the hold I have before I do anything.

#6123136 - 01/12/18 09:14 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
foxhunter52 Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah
I hollered at my buddy "We got a big tom down here." He came in a hurry with his camera and ruger mark 1. We moved in filming and pistol at the ready. The big tom made a lunge. We got some poor video, two quick shots with the ruger and a toe. Hard to watch $400 bucks running down the wash.

#6123143 - 01/12/18 09:24 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: Yes sir]
teepee2 Offline
trapper

Loc: IA
Happend to me last year. Had a coyote in a 1 3/4 coil pulled up to him thinking I was the smart one. big mistake! As I was reaching for the revolver I watched him bend down and bite the trap. Evidently he got the base plate in his lower jaw and a louver in his upper jaw. Out he popped he ran about 10 yards and look back, like how did I get out of that mess. Ok I'll just shoot you then, wrong again. I took aim with the revolver squeezed the trigger "click" the gun was empty. He trotted a quarter of a mile crossed a picked bean field looking back casually now and then, like aren't you going to do something about that smart guy.

#6123168 - 01/12/18 10:02 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
I found one with 30" snare stakes halfway out, snare too short
Anchors all I will use on traps

Edited by Tactical.20 (01/12/18 10:03 PM)

#6123207 - 01/12/18 10:59 PM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper

Loc: Wheaton Ks
Trappin back in the days when coilsprings wern't very good, I used to drive up with the shotgun hanging out the window. Boy I used to eduate a lot of yotes back in those days. Couldn't count the times I've had that happen. Had a tom bobcat do that earlier this year. Was standing at the edge of the circle ready to slip the death ray over him, he made one more run across the circle and popped out of a mj600. Anything can happen when your trappin!

#6123245 - 01/13/18 02:47 AM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
coop Offline
trapper

Loc: De
2X on reds this year... how come it's never the 'possums and skunks?

#6123260 - 01/13/18 04:34 AM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
jabNE Offline
trapper

Loc: Hickman, Nebraska
Did it on a double once. Dispatched the first one and started walking down to the second and watched it pop out and run about mach II to the next county. Didn't know what to say except to curse a lot. Walked back to first one and noticed the mange spots on it. Have always wondered if I should have hit the other one first.
And hey I agree I have never had a possum or skunk lunge and pop out sure wish they would do that!
Jim

#6123269 - 01/13/18 04:58 AM Re: I thought it only happened to other trappers... [Re: fishnhunts]
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"

Loc: potter co. p.a.
a good release like that was the biggest bob i ever had to release.was getting ready to put the loop on him and he rocked back and put the final touches of destruction on a old 2 sq jaw.just slowly walked away like nothing unusual.

Hickory Garden Farms

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >