No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
2017 Deer Rifle Hunt #6131008
01/19/18 04:28 PM
01/19/18 04:28 PM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
I know I'm a bit late in putting this up, but just recently figured out my login info. after not having been real active lately. Both my sister and I drew mule deer doe tags here in ND for the 2017 rifle season. We settled in on a big doe with two fawns (by their size, I'm surprised they weren't running around on their own yet). We found these deer on a small piece of private land, then got permission to hunt it. They were laying down, facing upwind. From about 180 yards out, we got our crosshairs on fur about 20 minutes before the season opened, then decided to wait until the deer stood up for a clean shot. Well, season opened, and we waited. And waited. And waited. Twenty minutes feels like a lifetime when you haven't big-game hunted for more than five years, so we decided to make a little noise to get them to stand up. Whistling didn't get the job done, nor did doe bleats. Lip squeaks though, that's where it's at! The big doe stood up first to check things out, followed by the fawns. Within 30 seconds we had filled our tags and knives were cleaned within an hour of season opener!

After making deer sausage for the first time last weekend, I really wish that I would have held out for a bigger deer. Did end up getting about 50lbs. of ground meat, not including a roast or two and backstraps, off of my deer, but very easily could have gotten much more from a mature doe. All in all, this was a great hunt and was glad to be able to spend some time with family in the outdoors!

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: 2017 Deer Rifle Hunt [Re: DakotaBoy] #6131020
01/19/18 04:53 PM
01/19/18 04:53 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline
trapper
358wsm  Offline
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska

Very cool.

That's not a bad yeild as far as the meat goes

I do pretty much the same thing.
Once deboned and cold aged for 3 weeks in the fridge, I start cutting steaks. All my scrap trimmings (meat not fat) I run it through my grinder and add one of the Legg' sausage mixes to the ground. I avarage right around 65 lbs per Whitetail.

Scott
Re: 2017 Deer Rifle Hunt [Re: DakotaBoy] #6131050
01/19/18 05:27 PM
01/19/18 05:27 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Glad for you both and a great hunt.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: 2017 Deer Rifle Hunt [Re: 358wsm] #6131087
01/19/18 06:11 PM
01/19/18 06:11 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Originally Posted By: 358wsm

Very cool.

Once deboned and cold aged for 3 weeks in the fridge, I start cutting steaks. All my scrap trimmings (meat not fat) I run it through my grinder and add one of the Legg' sausage mixes to the ground. I avarage right around 65 lbs per Whitetail.

Those are pretty big deer to average 65 lbs per whitetail, although my wife will not allow any fat or silverskin in our meat. Her favorite deer is a nubbin buck that dresses out at about 65 lbs and all the packages from that deer gets an * on the package to denote good and tender for special meals.
Congrats to you on a great morning hunt Dakota Boy!

Zim

Re: 2017 Deer Rifle Hunt [Re: Zim] #6131301
01/19/18 09:00 PM
01/19/18 09:00 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Wow! Nice job, DakotaBoy! Sounds like you did a really thorough job! It sounds like that sausage turned out great.

I've read that whitetail deer average 75 to 125 pounds after field dressing, and they yield less than half of that in lean meat. That would be about 37 to 62 pounds of lean meat per deer. I'm definitely at the lower end of that!

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: 2017 Deer Rifle Hunt [Re: Zim] #6132123
01/20/18 04:16 PM
01/20/18 04:16 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline
trapper
358wsm  Offline
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska
Originally Posted By: Zim
Originally Posted By: 358wsm

Very cool.

Those are pretty big deer to average 65 lbs per whitetail, although my wife will not allow any fat or silverskin in our meat. Her favorite deer is a nubbin buck that dresses out at about 65 lbs and all the packages from that deer gets an * on the package to denote good and tender for special meals.
Congrats to you on a great morning hunt Dakota Boy!

Zim

Zin,

Some big ones, and some average ones, and some pretty small ones too.
I am just a stickler for getting as much off them as possible, I like the sausage, so as tedious as it is, I work the neck, ribs, flank,tongue, heart, and smalls on the legs to the point of being somewhat obsessive.

Again, well done DakotaBoy.!

Scott
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread