Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7929752
08/16/23 07:45 PM
08/16/23 07:45 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Tejas where have you been? lol
Great post and as always I love your dirt!

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7929981
08/17/23 06:38 AM
08/17/23 06:38 AM
Georgia
sportsman94 Offline
trapper
sportsman94  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Here’s my version of a post set that I’ve used for about 10 years now. I go buy the 18” pine stakes from your big box store, bring them home, and roast the tops over a propane burner. Take a drill bit and drill at an upward angle as a place to hold lure without rain being able to wash it out.

[Linked Image]

This is the result on a set made with this. Females get back footed a decent percentage of the time I use this set

[Linked Image]

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930030
08/17/23 08:13 AM
08/17/23 08:13 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Good idea to bring this back.

Urine post-
I have better success with 2 clumps of grass vs. a single clump or single stick.
With a longer post animal works parallel. Shot of urine on each end, gland in center.
Knowing animal will work parallel, trap placement is centered from ends.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's some results from double grass clumps, urine post sets-
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Red Fox, center-
[Linked Image]

First night catch, 45 lb. male.
Used bean chaff for post, shaped like a log-
[Linked Image]

I do pre-dig grass clumps and keep them in a feed bag. Much faster to have them at the ready vs. looking for the right clump/urine post.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930090
08/17/23 09:16 AM
08/17/23 09:16 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
I agree 100% with Hern! I’ve got video evidence that ‘my’ coyotes are very aware and leary/neophobic of an added post when I was testing gland lures. I also have video proof that once I removed the post the coyotes whole demeanor changed. In fact if I remember correctly there is a study that also correlates with this.

Last edited by Seldom; 08/17/23 09:06 PM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930110
08/17/23 09:42 AM
08/17/23 09:42 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
I forgot to mention that the lower clumps of grass as shown in Hern's 2nd photo offer an added benifit because of additional foot placement/movement and increasing chances of a catch. My videos show that the coyotes typically aproach at about a 45* angle and stop at 9"-10". After the initial stop/hesitation they will aproach to about 6" sniff and adjust themselves to pee. It's this "adjustment" that increases the trapper's chances because the coyotes typically shuffle/stutter-step and step over the clump while peeing.

Also, I was told by two coyote trappers, one well respect here and has his own trapping supply business that I incorrectly used the post. They told me I wasn't suppose to apply lure on the post and not set a trap at the post. The post was suppose to be a "visual" attraction and they told me to set the post 10' or further away from the lured set!!! In one video segment it can easily be seen where a coyote certainly saw the post but stayed at least 10' away and spent time working the area back & forth.

Last edited by Seldom; 08/17/23 11:19 AM.

Re: The Post set [Re: Seldom] #7930459
08/17/23 08:00 PM
08/17/23 08:00 PM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Seldom

Also, I was told by two coyote trappers, one well respect here and has his own trapping supply business that I incorrectly used the post. They told me I wasn't suppose to apply lure on the post and not set a trap at the post. The post was suppose to be a "visual" attraction and they told me to set the post 10' or further away from the lured set!!! In one video segment it can easily be seen where a coyote certainly saw the post but stayed at least 10' away and spent time working the area back & forth.

I set nearby lured or baited dirthole. I place urine set downwind, near my dirthole. I guess that's the same concept, Seldom.

Here's a good example,
You are looking at 2 catch circles-
Catch circle to right, rear of Fox (where a Coyote & Fox were caught). Urine set close to dirthole, downwind of catch circle caught this Fox.
[Linked Image]

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930469
08/17/23 08:34 PM
08/17/23 08:34 PM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
Probably more sensory Hern than visual IMO. Your use of previous catch scents grabbing the canines attention IMHO is great and is a desired reaction, at least by me but isn't near as standout or noticeable as a visual something (post) or other sticking up above ground where nothing stuck up before or the last time the canine came through. I've found that sensory changes or additions to a set location never cause a neophobic reaction but rather act as an additional attractant versus a visual change/addition such as a post. In my videos and the scholastic studies always showed a negative visual reaction to "new" even from the bolder coyotes.

I intentually "seed" set locations with the scent of previous catches as they are adding attractiveness to my new set. It's the "new", brought/moved in, above ground stuff that will screw you IMHO! Maybe if a trapper has a highn population of coyote to work with, there will always be some percentage of coyote that are more bold than others. Those are the ones I'd suspect that would come to a new and strange post/object sticking up above the ground where there hadn't been one before!

Last edited by Seldom; 08/17/23 08:45 PM.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930480
08/17/23 08:47 PM
08/17/23 08:47 PM
Western New York
T
Tony1967 Offline
trapper
Tony1967  Offline
trapper
T

Western New York
Just put this out and dripped some deep fryer grease on it. Not really a post set but figured I’d see if they will start visiting prior to season…..

[Linked Image]

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930540
08/17/23 10:28 PM
08/17/23 10:28 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Hern,
Why was your original set so far out in the field? I know we can't see all the land features in your pic, but I'd made sets at the tip of my arrows based on what I see.
[Linked Image]

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930574
08/17/23 11:29 PM
08/17/23 11:29 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
In this case, I put the trap nearly against the attractor because of the way a cat would come from the water edge. It depends on the situation. Most times I’d put the trap pan 5 or 6 inches from the base of the attractor if it was leaning away. If it was leaning in toward the trail, it would be much further. Does that make sense?

[Linked Image]

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: The Post set [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7930642
08/18/23 07:08 AM
08/18/23 07:08 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Hern, why was your original set so far out in the field?

Not to be a smart a$$... that's my style, that's where I catch Canines, out from brush line. Look at my pictures in 1st post.

dissecting my last pic (Swamp Wolf posted)-
I have another double set to left (not pictured). The brush makes a 90-degree corner. These set are 12'-15' from brush.
SW, your right arrow... I have a double set at that point. 15'-20' from point and out from crop change.

I catch Canines in Corn fields too, lol
#7 at this dirthole set, never touched the set nearby-
[Linked Image]

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930653
08/18/23 07:28 AM
08/18/23 07:28 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
I'm not intending to hijack this "post" thread but I felt I also needed to comment on questions that are ask me similar to Swamp Wolf's question to Hern. This attached video is a great example to point out why I sometimes set out away from a defined edge such as a brushy fence row. The set you see in my video is there for 2 reasons. https://youtu.be/QrYg9H8S_iM

1. That is where the only coyote track was found and as folks know, I set on sign! There was no sign, old or fresh between my set and the fence row.
2. The set is up wind of the fence row and I'm using good enough lure and bait that any coyote downwind of my set between it and the fence row would smell it.

BTW, that was the only coyte apparently using that field edge because it's track was the only track there and for the 13 nights that set was there there wasn't another coyote that traveled it! One track, one shot, one coyote.

Last edited by Seldom; 08/18/23 07:32 AM.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930801
08/18/23 11:33 AM
08/18/23 11:33 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Hern,
I'm sure not knocking your choice of set locations, especially with varmints in the traps. Can't see all the surrounding land features in your pics, so it's difficult to "see" the reason for setting that location based on the pic.

If I see tracks in a furrow or there is a definitive edge/crop change I focus in on that no matter how far out in field.

I've always been a tad leary to set out in field as once the farmer disks it is impossible to find that trap...without a metal detector...which I bought one a few years ago.....lol. Never know for sure when the tractor and harrows are coming...even if farmer says he isn't gonna do it "anytime soon."

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930822
08/18/23 12:00 PM
08/18/23 12:00 PM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
Talking post! Here's a fresh one I just published-
https://youtu.be/-38MOtSYUoU

Re: The Post set [Re: Seldom] #7930829
08/18/23 12:14 PM
08/18/23 12:14 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
That a good video! Its what I would expect to see hear in a low coyote density. Would love to try some camera = coyote stuff. BUT If i didnt put a trap out with camera and catch coyote ? I am afraid I might be looking for a new job! LoL!

Re: The Post set [Re: Hern] #7930832
08/18/23 12:17 PM
08/18/23 12:17 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Hern
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Hern, why was your original set so far out in the field?

Not to be a smart a$$... that's my style, that's where I catch Canines, out from brush line. Look at my pictures in 1st post.

dissecting my last pic-
I have another double set to left (not pictured). The brush makes a 90-degree corner. These set are 12'-15' from brush.
SW, your right arrow... I have a double set at that point. 15'-20' from point and out from crop change.

I catch Canines in Corn fields too, lol
#7 at this dirthole set, never touched the set nearby-
[Linked Image]

Don’t think anyone was meant to be smart about the question because I’d like to know as well. Was there a trail there with tracks? Is the prevailing wind from that direction. I’d set along the edge as well. Just trying to learn or pick your brain as to why there and not on the edge.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930844
08/18/23 12:30 PM
08/18/23 12:30 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Setting away from the edge helps keep grinners from plugging sets.
And I bet there is a G/hog hole near by where he has some of those sets
I always set the high point of a field. Coyotes and fox seem to go to these high points, tracks in the snow tell me I need a trap or 4 there

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #7930851
08/18/23 12:53 PM
08/18/23 12:53 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Gotcha, so you have sign in that area. We don’t have snow and half the time the ground is so hard you can’t see your own tracks, lol.
I’ve tried sets in some of our weed fields after they’ve been harrowed up, but NEVER caught anything that way. Tried a post set and huge obvious dirt hole hoping to grab the attention of something. All I can attract are deer. They definitely check it out!!

Re: The Post set [Re: Seldom] #7930853
08/18/23 12:54 PM
08/18/23 12:54 PM
Maine
beezmador Offline
trapper
beezmador  Offline
trapper

Maine

Great video Seldom! I'd guess it was the post, but that's just a guess. Be interesting to see the frenzy on a existing natural grass clump at that location to see what the reaction would be. I am like several who have posted to simply set on sign - if tracks or scat are present there's a darn good chance they will be again whether it's an edge or not.

Member of NTA, MTA and FTA - keeping up the Fight for our Right to trap
Re: The Post set [Re: beezmador] #7930887
08/18/23 01:56 PM
08/18/23 01:56 PM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
Originally Posted by beezmador

Great video Seldom! I'd guess it was the post, but that's just a guess. Be interesting to see the frenzy on a existing natural grass clump at that location to see what the reaction would be. I am like several who have posted to simply set on sign - if tracks or scat are present there's a darn good chance they will be again whether it's an edge or not.

There is another video I published some time ago where I tell about removing the post. I think you’ll find it interesting because there are two other gland lures along the field edge. Lenon’s Coyote All Call and Reuswasset’s Gland lure. I won’t tell you my opinion of the 3 because I want every viewer to come to their own conclusion. If I don’t, people will think I’m a gaslighter and I’m along ways from being one of those! LOL

Absolutely, setting on sign and playing the wind is how I always rolled and promote it!

Last edited by Seldom; 08/18/23 01:58 PM.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91