No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163391
02/19/18 11:12 PM
02/19/18 11:12 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
IDPA has matches all over the country...actually its pretty enjoyable and can be a good training tool if you do not get hung up on how fast you can finish a stage. You learn how to use cover, address multiple targets while moving and function under the stress of a group of people watching you. If you stand still in the open while shooting the range safety officer will be screaming in your ear to move.... smile...if you use cover improperly someone will explain why your having points deducted.

Sure beats static range shooting... grin

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163396
02/19/18 11:14 PM
02/19/18 11:14 PM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
Patrice, you are 100% right, thanks for saying it!

Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163398
02/19/18 11:15 PM
02/19/18 11:15 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I think school districts want gun-free zones to avoid potential liability. If they allow guns, and someone gets shot, deliberately or by accident, they might get sued.

And then there is the issue of mixing immature college students, who regularly demonstrate that they can't handle alcohol, with deadly weapons.

If I ran a school, I might let adults carry there, might not. In Alaska there is no permit requirement, so theoretically we could have some untrained bozo blazing away at some real or perceived threat. I'd let the teachers carry for sure.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163411
02/19/18 11:26 PM
02/19/18 11:26 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163417
02/19/18 11:31 PM
02/19/18 11:31 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
There is more than one instance of an armed individual stopping a potential massacre at a school.

Surprise, surprise it gets very little media attention... There's no body count and it doesn't fit the agenda.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163426
02/19/18 11:36 PM
02/19/18 11:36 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Good video.

I'm sick to death of these people who think another law is going to make one bit of difference in the next shooting. Like a guy who is going to shoot up a school, McDonalds or whatever cares one bit about ANY law. News flash: They could care less about your laws!

The best defense is a good offense.

Every school in the nation should be mandated to have a security plan in place for the NEXT school shooting... and it must be a viable plan (with opposing force) to protect the kids.

Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Marty] #6163430
02/19/18 11:38 PM
02/19/18 11:38 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted By: Marty
IDPA has matches all over the country...actually its pretty enjoyable and can be a good training tool if you do not get hung up on how fast you can finish a stage. You learn how to use cover, address multiple targets while moving and function under the stress of a group of people watching you. If you stand still in the open while shooting the range safety officer will be screaming in your ear to move.... smile...if you use cover improperly someone will explain why your having points deducted.

Sure beats static range shooting... grin

I recommend everyone go to an IDPA match. It is a lot of fun and you learn a lot. The range I’m a member of has matches every Wednesday and the first and third Saturday of every month. I go as often as I can (usually twice a month). $5 to shoot, it’s five stages, bring 100 rounds.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163452
02/19/18 11:59 PM
02/19/18 11:59 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
My feelings are that unless there is armed security and metal detectors at every entrance I should be allowed to carry a handgun on my person in that building.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163454
02/20/18 12:00 AM
02/20/18 12:00 AM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Central PA, God's Country
Liberals are after one thing: Control. They take over every institution they can, and bend it to their political purpose. Boy Scouts, public schools, colleges, media, all have been taken over by liberals and are now liberal mouthpieces. Where has the GOP been all that time? Asleep at the wheel, worried about their pensions. The Tea Party is a conservative grass roots movement made of normal Americans determined to take back their country from career politicians and failed policies. They recognize that both political parties are corrupt.

Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163480
02/20/18 12:23 AM
02/20/18 12:23 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
one of the clubs I belong to runs twice a month action pistol , a blend of IDPA and USPSA shooting ,with no categories or prizes , just bragging rights on your time you can use it as training for competition or for life what you choose to do with it is up to you.

the guarentee is that every stage will be different and most will have you shooting at least some of the targets off balance , weak hand , moving around a bunch , limited visibility , if we can safely make it work on our indoor range we will do it.

we have moving targets , reactive targets

one we call the bear trap you shoot a popper when it falls it releases a shoot target to come up under spring pressure like one jaw of a trap and when it is fully up it releases the no-shoot target the other jaw of the trap to come up and cover the shoot target . the first time you see it you wonder how your going to get 2 shots into the shoot target , after you have done it a dozen times , you start picking up another target close by after shooting the popper then come back and get the shoot target in time before transitioning to another taget or mofving to another box

the peak-a-boo is still the hardest , a shoot target is positioned directly behind a no shoot , you hit a popper that pulls the prop out from under the leg of the target it pops out from behind the no-shoot just long enough to get a round in it then pops back when the weight rolls off

I started out with an OWB holster and an now running it more often from concealment with one of my IWB holsters , spare mags in my off hand pocket , it slows down the draw and reload some. it is a lot more realistic to run it carrying exactly how I do daily.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163504
02/20/18 12:48 AM
02/20/18 12:48 AM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
One thing for sure is once a shooter gets into a school now days he has little to worry about as far as anyone defending himself or being a threat to him. One security guard at an entrance means little, I would think he can be taken out easily because he's really not expecting an attack. If every school had some armed teachers it sure wouldn't hurt, might even stop an attempt if a shooter thought there were armed teachers inside. I can think of many teachers in my school that would have been glad to carry, and with training would have defended well. If my taxes went up a few dollars to train teachers that wanted to carry, I'd gladly donate to that and I don't have any kids in school anymore. Like somebody said, if a teacher is willing to stand in front of bullets to defend kids, that teacher sure as heck would do what it takes to take out a shooter with his/her own weapon.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163505
02/20/18 12:52 AM
02/20/18 12:52 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
"IDPA has matches all over the country"

Ok, what is this?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163527
02/20/18 01:14 AM
02/20/18 01:14 AM
Illinois Livingston county
wwc Offline
trapper
wwc  Offline
trapper

International defensive pistol association
It is a run and gun pistol match of sorts
Really really fun! And good practice.

Last edited by wwc; 02/20/18 01:15 AM.

Your money is not worth my sanity
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: yotetrapper30] #6163542
02/20/18 01:26 AM
02/20/18 01:26 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30

Ok, what is this?

they sanction matches , the rules are based in defensive style pistol shooting , you must wear a cover garment , draw from concealment , retain magazines on a reload and shoot targets in defensive order (basically as you see them or nearest to farthest.

they have set stages "scenarios" that must be based on a defensive story line.
http://www.idpa.com/about/introduction

USPSA United states pistol shooting association , is more competitive speed shooting the targets are similar but they can basically invent any crazy stage they want it is more about speed than practical defensive skills.

both will bring you much higher in your shooting game

as will club level action pistol shooting. you run against a clock that counts each shot , you have to move from box to box taking targets in an order , you will have to shoot leaning right , left , weak hand ,strong hand kneeling , standing, crouching , through a hole , from behind cover , at targets that are shoot and no shoot and partially obscured

this is a USPSA 2 gun cometition with the Army marksmanship unit comeditor running it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jFCb-kyKOY

IDPA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvCim9Rhdao

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6163555
02/20/18 01:48 AM
02/20/18 01:48 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30

Ok, what is this?

they sanction matches , the rules are based in defensive style pistol shooting , you must wear a cover garment , draw from concealment , retain magazines on a reload and shoot targets in defensive order (basically as you see them or nearest to farthest.

they have set stages "scenarios" that must be based on a defensive story line.
http://www.idpa.com/about/introduction

USPSA United states pistol shooting association , is more competitive speed shooting the targets are similar but they can basically invent any crazy stage they want it is more about speed than practical defensive skills.

both will bring you much higher in your shooting game

as will club level action pistol shooting. you run against a clock that counts each shot , you have to move from box to box taking targets in an order , you will have to shoot leaning right , left , weak hand ,strong hand kneeling , standing, crouching , through a hole , from behind cover , at targets that are shoot and no shoot and partially obscured

this is a USPSA 2 gun cometition with the Army marksmanship unit comeditor running it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jFCb-kyKOY

IDPA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvCim9Rhdao

Thanks for the info, and you too wwc. This sounds kind of interesting. The only handgun I shoot is a revolver... are they allowed in these deals? And are these groups receptive to a girl with a revolver that never shot anywhere besides in the backyard before? LOL

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163559
02/20/18 01:51 AM
02/20/18 01:51 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Revolver if fine but you will need some speed loaders for it.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163560
02/20/18 01:52 AM
02/20/18 01:52 AM
wwc Offline
trapper
wwc  Offline
trapper

I believe a revolver is allowed ,many clubs welcome New comers male or female and many have women's only shooting activities also.

Last edited by wwc; 02/20/18 01:54 AM.

Your money is not worth my sanity
Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163708
02/20/18 09:20 AM
02/20/18 09:20 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
they even have a BUG gun class you may be able to run without speed loaders depending on what your revolver is

BUG = back up gun - like a J-frame S&W

the bug gun is like a short course fewer targets to engage

once you try that your likely to get hooked and want to shoot more

or it may be time for a auto loader there are a huge number of really good guns out there under 500 dollars , the world has never seen so many good carry guns the manufactures are listening and building stock guns better than ever and for very reasonable prices.

our club is informal all safety rules are the same but the stages can be anything we invent , it is one of the few things we open to non members

stages tend to run right around 20 rounds for us we try and keep it under 25 rounds for the stage 1 and 2 then we have a stage 3 that is the combined elements of stage 1 and 2 that can go 40 rounds.
we tell people to bring 100 rounds , usually that is enough for some misses also
strong side holster no cross draw or shoulder because you muzzle sweep every one and no one likes that .

we joke that we spend 2-3 hours to shoot for less than 2 minutes if we do it all right but it takes time to reset and score , pick up brass , there is plenty of chatting and getting to see other peoples gear.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/20/18 09:40 AM.

Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163760
02/20/18 10:07 AM
02/20/18 10:07 AM
Central New York
D
Dewey NY Offline
trapper
Dewey NY  Offline
trapper
D

Central New York
If I have a choice to Arm a few teachers in my kids school or keep it a Gun Free Zone, I would vote for Armed..
If a shooting was to happen and a teacher was to return fire, I believe to would either send the assailant fleeing or distract them..
Having the ability and doing something in that situation would be better than doing nothing..
I'm not an expert, but it doesn't seem like any of us are or we would have solved this problem.

Dewey

Re: We do need new gun control laws! [Re: Patrice] #6163847
02/20/18 11:26 AM
02/20/18 11:26 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Speed loaders only work with double action revolvers, most know I'm sure some may not. Just saying.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread