No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rat Gland Prices ? [Re: beaverpeeler] #6191216
03/18/18 10:40 AM
03/18/18 10:40 AM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: beaverpeeler
Ok, here's the verdict: 1 rat gland equals $1. The average rat sells for $3, so that means the gland brought 1/3 of the money the pelt did. It takes an average of 7.5 beaver to make a lb of castor which maybe goes for $50 this year. $50 divided by 7.5 = $6.66 which is approximately half of what beaver are currently averaging .

Therefore, Walleye your premium rat glands should sell for $1.50 per rat which would be half of the pelt value just like the beaver-castor ratio. The result is the new price threshold for rat glands should be $150/Qt.

..........I have spoken.

Thanks Beaverpeeler,

walleyed Would Be Satisfied With $150.00 A Quart As This Would Bring The Rat Gland Market More In Line With Compensating The Trapper For His Expenses In Gathering Them Up Since Rat Pelts Are Basically Without Value.

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Rat Gland Prices ? [Re: walleyed] #6191224
03/18/18 10:45 AM
03/18/18 10:45 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Side note, how are you guys who keep the glands to resell storing them? Drying them like beaver castor? Storing in some sort of liquid preservative in mason jars? I am curious. Thanks.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Rat Gland Prices ? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6191348
03/18/18 12:55 PM
03/18/18 12:55 PM
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: Wild_Idaho
Side note, how are you guys who keep the glands to resell storing them? Drying them like beaver castor? Storing in some sort of liquid preservative in mason jars? I am curious. Thanks.

Fresh Frozen In Pint Jars, Right Out Of The Rat, And Into the Jar, And Into The Freezer.

That's How I Do It, Anyway.

If You Leave Them Out In a Warm Environment, They Spoil Quickly.

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread