No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: bblwi] #6196168
03/22/18 06:52 PM
03/22/18 06:52 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted By: bblwi
If we look at the range of wolves in the USA (lower 48) prior to removal their range was 3-5 fold larger than it is today, so the idea that this range won't expand to me is not likely. Even the marginal habitat ( and that marginal is not due to lack of food and shelter but human occupancy) will allow wolves to expand. The fact that they don't need nearly the large range area to provide food and shelter will allow them to "dig in and hold". That also means as they need to roam less and interact less there will lower death rates due to disease and or the hazards of extensive movement. Not saying that is what I am hoping for but I do believe that wolves will find ways to become much more adaptable then they have been or we feel they would become. Somewhat scary to think that an area occupied by a pack of 30 lbs. coyotes may be occupied by a pack of 65 lbs. wolves. Whole different prey community involved in that transition.

Bryce

I think the wolves are proving you correct already. As long as they are untouchable, why wouldn't they eventually prosper in deer and livestock rich Iowa? Or other places south? Coyotes came back. Since the beginning of time when Mother Nature creates food, she also creates something that will eat it.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: BernieB.] #6196408
03/22/18 10:44 PM
03/22/18 10:44 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
I think if there hasn't been much expansion in the last five years that we won't see much more, at least significant. I live a few miles from on the edge of wolf range and live in an area that still has some wildness to it, but have had no breeding pairs. We've had wolves travel through a few times that I know of, but I've never seen their tracks stay in the area, at least not when there's snow on the ground. Before the last couple years I did a lot of predator hunting too in the best habitat in the area, seldom saw wolf tracks. But there's deer hunters in every woods for miles around and have little doubt many shoot every "coyote" they see, so it's unlikely they would ever get the chance to stay in this area and breed.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: goldy] #6196415
03/22/18 10:52 PM
03/22/18 10:52 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Unfortunately expansion into social carrying capacity areas may be the only way the delisting issues may change. As long as politics will rule over science we will need more voters with more money, assets and leverage then we have now and that may change things more quickly but also bring along other baggage sportsmen may not like as well.

Bryce

Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: goldy] #6196821
03/23/18 12:19 PM
03/23/18 12:19 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Originally Posted By: goldy
Look at this map and tell me the population is the same now as in years past like the DNR is telling us. Any fool can see how much the range has expanded southward, and they've expanded because the carrying capacity of the original wolf range is saturated with wolves. And we are to respect their population estimates? It's pretty obvious they aren't being totally truthful.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...=mrc&uact=8

Don't think I can remember Wolf tracks 20 ,30,40 years ago .Got trail cam pictures of wolves and bears now right on the Iowa border and I know they would not dare cross that line,

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: BernieB.] #6196890
03/23/18 01:23 PM
03/23/18 01:23 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
I just saw recently on a Facebook post where a wolf was released from a coyote snare in Anoka county.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: MnMan] #6196987
03/23/18 03:25 PM
03/23/18 03:25 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
Originally Posted By: MnMan
I just saw recently on a Facebook post where a wolf was released from a coyote snare in Anoka county.
I had a coyote bait on the Anoka/Isanti county line last winter that had a pair of wolves hitting. Wonder if it was one of the same wolves.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: BernieB.] #6196991
03/23/18 03:27 PM
03/23/18 03:27 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
We won't be trapping wolves in Minnesota any time soon. In case you didn't see the thread, they didn't delist again this year. Ridiculous.

Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: BernieB.] #6196994
03/23/18 03:28 PM
03/23/18 03:28 PM
mn
T
trapperman222 Offline
trapper
trapperman222  Offline
trapper
T

mn
I've"Released" a few wolves over the years.

Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: BernieB.] #6197003
03/23/18 03:43 PM
03/23/18 03:43 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Snowpa, the wolves might kill some of your coyote

Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: Tactical.20] #6203914
03/31/18 09:34 AM
03/31/18 09:34 AM
Kiel,Wisconsin
H
Hatchetman Offline
trapper
Hatchetman  Offline
trapper
H

Kiel,Wisconsin
Here's some more data to throw into the mix...

Anyone care to make an estimate on the numbers of SSS that happens in your state?

A lot of guys talk about how they'd off one if they had the chance.
Do they? Would they?

I'll make a guess...
Conservatively, I think at least 40 wolves are shot each year in Wi
The wolf population densities perceived by most northern MN, WI, & MI deer hunters along with the low deer population, adding in the frustration of not having any kind of wolf harvest season has pushed some people too far.
One would think as the years of no wolf season go by, each year SSS numbers would creep higher and higher.

Weather it makes a substantial impact on the overall population, I don't know but I would sure think it could.

Take away peoples hope and faith in any matter and look the heck out!

Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: goldy] #6203923
03/31/18 09:48 AM
03/31/18 09:48 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
We won't be trapping wolves in Minnesota any time soon. In case you didn't see the thread, they didn't delist again this year. Ridiculous.

And the fact that wolf delisting was removed from the bill lands squarely on Representative Betty McCollum DFL, MN 4th District, St Paul. Nice to have a metro rep dictating wolf management across Nothern MN and the entire midwest. She should be hearing from every one of us loud, clear, and often!

Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: walleye101] #6203930
03/31/18 10:01 AM
03/31/18 10:01 AM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
Originally Posted By: walleye101

And the fact that wolf delisting was removed from the bill lands squarely on Representative Betty McCollum DFL, MN 4th District, St Paul. Nice to have a metro rep dictating wolf management across Nothern MN and the entire midwest. She should be hearing from every one of us loud, clear, and often!
She lives in her own little worlds in downtown Minneapolis and Washington D.C.. The wolf protection groups have her in their back pockets. And there is zero chance of getting her voted out of office because they love her in her liberal district. This wolf thing is going to be a problem until they can get a federal judge that understands the population has recovered and is willing to turn management over to the states. The stupidity of the whole thing is that the continental wolf population isn't in danger, and never has been. There's wolves from Minnesota all the way to Alaska. They never should have been put on the endangered species list in the first place.

Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: Hatchetman] #6203931
03/31/18 10:02 AM
03/31/18 10:02 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted By: Hatchetman
Here's some more data to throw into the mix...

Anyone care to make an estimate on the numbers of SSS that happens in your state?

I'll make a guess...

Hatchetman,
Speculative guessing is not exactly data but I get your point.
I also understand peoples frustration and how it does result in SSS.
Unfortunately, there probably is a significant amount of this going on, but it plays right into the wolf protectionist's hand. They claim there is no need for active wolf management, that their population will self regulate by some mystical ecological balance. If SSS is happening at a level effecting population expansion we are helping support that claim.

Re: This stupid wolf thing [Re: goldy] #6203937
03/31/18 10:06 AM
03/31/18 10:06 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
[/quote]She lives in her own little worlds in downtown Minneapolis and Washington D.C.. The wolf protection groups have her in their back pockets. And there is zero chance of getting her voted out of office because they love her in her liberal district. This wolf thing is going to be a problem until they can get a federal judge that understands the population has recovered and is willing to turn management over to the states. The stupidity of the whole thing is that the continental wolf population isn't in danger, and never has been. There's wolves from Minnesota all the way to Alaska. They never should have been put on the endangered species list in the first place.

Understood. What I am suggesting is that we make her own little world a little less comfortable by letting her know what is actually going on outside the metro bubble she lives in.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread