Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Snare / cable restraint support question #6203477
03/30/18 06:13 PM
03/30/18 06:13 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline OP
trapper
Green Bay  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
I have looked at a couple of different setups that people use - some makers put a piece of tubing on their wire for the support while others use a universal support collar.

Is there a preference between the two? and if so why?

Thanks.

Brian

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Green Bay] #6203513
03/30/18 07:03 PM
03/30/18 07:03 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
A double ferrule works great also: (click on the picture for larger image)

Last edited by bctomcat; 03/30/18 07:05 PM.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Green Bay] #6203524
03/30/18 07:15 PM
03/30/18 07:15 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Twist on supports are junk.

Whammies work great, You can position a snare at any angle with these. You do have to match the cable size and support wire size with these.

Tubing is also great as you can use about any size wire and cable combination with these. You can adjust the angle pretty good with these, but not quite as extreme as the whammies. Cold temperatures can make these harder to use as they loose flexibility.

Never been a fan of the double ferrules.

When all else fails, the S/W/M/L/N bend in the support can do it all.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6203556
03/30/18 08:11 PM
03/30/18 08:11 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted By: SNIPERBBB

WHY? IMO opinion they work great. Once a animal connects you want it to release quickly from the support. If it fits loose on you support wire just bend the tip up a bit and it will stay until an animal hits the snare and being loose it will come off the support wire easily.

Last edited by bctomcat; 03/30/18 08:12 PM.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6203564
03/30/18 08:25 PM
03/30/18 08:25 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Twist on supports are junk.

Whammies work great, You can position a snare at any angle with these. You do have to match the cable size and support wire size with these.

Tubing is also great as you can use about any size wire and cable combination with these. You can adjust the angle pretty good with these, but not quite as extreme as the whammies. Cold temperatures can make these harder to use as they loose flexibility.

When all else fails, the S/W/M/L/N bend in the support can do it all.

I was with you all the way up to the last sentence. I like my metal wammies to fit very tightly on the #9 wire for support. You can twist the wammy to get the snare to hang 90 degrees to the trail, no matter what angle the ground is.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: ~ADC~] #6203569
03/30/18 08:44 PM
03/30/18 08:44 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I dont do the bends much anymore unless one is giving me fits. I can take a properly made S-bend and can hang it at any angle as needed. Just need the lineman pliers to do it, which you dont need with the whammies.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: bctomcat] #6203574
03/30/18 08:49 PM
03/30/18 08:49 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted By: bctomcat

WHY? IMO opinion they work great. Once a animal connects you want it to release quickly from the support. If it fits loose on you support wire just bend the tip up a bit and it will stay until an animal hits the snare and being loose it will come off the support wire easily.

I dont want to play with stuff on the line to make work and they dont perform the way I would want them too as they dont give quite as much sensitivity as the other methods(read as they are sloppy)

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Green Bay] #6203586
03/30/18 09:02 PM
03/30/18 09:02 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
And the double ferrule method gets sloppier as you go down to 5/64th or 1/16th cable unless you drop down to the lighter support wires to fit. 11 guage is as small as I go and rarely use that and I havent used 3/32nd snares since 02

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Green Bay] #6203702
03/30/18 10:48 PM
03/30/18 10:48 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana

When I have my druthers, I’ll choose the twist on universal support collars. Every time.

I’d take them over every single other type that I’ve tried so far, and I’ve tried everything mentioned so far plus electrical tape and bent wire alone. I have zero problems using them, but apparently everyone else on this forum does. The lurkers must like them, or just about every supplier wouldn’t continue to sell them, so there’s someone else out there that likes them. I especially like the fact that I can use one and get a secure fit with everything from 1/16 to 1/8 cable and 9 gauge to 14 gauge wire. Seems ideal if you ask me. I’ve snared mink and hogs with them and everything in between that’s found where I live, and I use all sorts of support wire at times. They’re great.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Aix sponsa] #6203739
03/30/18 11:46 PM
03/30/18 11:46 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted By: Aix sponsa

When I have my druthers, I’ll choose the twist on universal support collars. Every time.

I’d take them over every single other type that I’ve tried so far, and I’ve tried everything mentioned so far plus electrical tape and bent wire alone. I have zero problems using them, but apparently everyone else on this forum does. The lurkers must like them, or just about every supplier wouldn’t continue to sell them, so there’s someone else out there that likes them. I especially like the fact that I can use one and get a secure fit with everything from 1/16 to 1/8 cable and 9 gauge to 14 gauge wire. Seems ideal if you ask me. I’ve snared mink and hogs with them and everything in between that’s found where I live, and I use all sorts of support wire at times. They’re great.

You're all alone Aix. LOL

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Green Bay] #6203747
03/30/18 11:59 PM
03/30/18 11:59 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Twist on whammies In my opinion are pure junk.
I use that plastic tubing for my whammies and they seem to work just fine. But you need to use the right fit between support wire and the Inside Dia of your whammy. The only problem I've had Is when your dealing with freezing weather. Then you can have problems shoving the support wire Into the whammy.

I have been thinking that either rubber gas line material or windshield wiper hose might just make a better whammy. But I haven't gone there yet.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: The Beav] #6203789
03/31/18 02:13 AM
03/31/18 02:13 AM
Texas
E
etxwoods Offline
trapper
etxwoods  Offline
trapper
E

Texas
With all due respect to my young friend from LA., who is a very good snare maker/user, I'll have to agree with The Beav on this one. Only problem with the plastic tubing is stiffness when it's cold. I use #9'support wire tacked to an inverted L shaped piece of half inch rebar to stabilize it, then tie off to something solid with an extension. My solution to rassling with the plastic tubing while saying bad stuff about M. Steck is to sharpen the end of the wire that's gonna be inserted into it before I tack it to the rebar. Maybe when Aix & I meet head to head at the TTFHA Rendezvous in 3 weeks he can convince me of the error in my thinking. He's a very sharp guy, but I'm not at all sure on this one. I'm pretty old & set in my ways, but I'm gonna ask him to explain his preference real slow and simple & see if I can find an advantage to his method.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Green Bay] #6203859
03/31/18 08:25 AM
wisconsin
D
Davidl Offline
trapper
Davidl  Offline
trapper
D

wisconsin
I guess I have to ask the question why do guys not like the twist on support collars. I have cables that have had both and I'll us the twist on anytime before the plastic in cold weather. I sharpen the ends of my support wires in order to get them in the plastic supports when it is cold out and now I'm concerned about slipping and running the wire through my thumb. Never had an issue with the twist on supports.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: ~ADC~] #6203861
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
Originally Posted By: Aix sponsa

You're all alone Aix. LOL

Yeah, I figured I would be. Thats how I roll. I get the good spots and the best support collars all to myself wink

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: etxwoods] #6203866
03/31/18 08:29 AM
03/31/18 08:29 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: etxwoods
With all due respect to my young friend from LA., who is a very good snare maker/user, I'll have to agree with The Beav on this one. Only problem with the plastic tubing is stiffness when it's cold. I use #9'support wire tacked to an inverted L shaped piece of half inch rebar to stabilize it, then tie off to something solid with an extension. My solution to rassling with the plastic tubing while saying bad stuff about M. Steck is to sharpen the end of the wire that's gonna be inserted into it before I tack it to the rebar. Maybe when Aix & I meet head to head at the TTFHA Rendezvous in 3 weeks he can convince me of the error in my thinking. He's a very sharp guy, but I'm not at all sure on this one. I'm pretty old & set in my ways, but I'm gonna ask him to explain his preference real slow and simple & see if I can find an advantage to his method.

I’ll gladly show you why I like the twist ons in Junction. Mink, hogs, beaver, coyote, coon, Sasquatch, 3-toed Yetti—-twist on through and through.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Davidl] #6203867
03/31/18 08:30 AM
03/31/18 08:30 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Davidl
I guess I have to ask the question why do guys not like the twist on support collars. I have cables that have had both and I'll us the twist on anytime before the plastic in cold weather. I sharpen the ends of my support wires in order to get them in the plastic supports when it is cold out and now I'm concerned about slipping and running the wire through my thumb. Never had an issue with the twist on supports.

That makes two of us. Team Universal Collar

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Green Bay] #6203880
03/31/18 08:53 AM
03/31/18 08:53 AM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I'm an electrical tape guy, but I hang snares a little different than most people.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Green Bay] #6203896
03/31/18 09:11 AM
03/31/18 09:11 AM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Double ferrules. My support wire fits exact with no slop. Rubber gas line sometimes is a pain because I find its not rigid enough.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: The Beav] #6203927
03/31/18 09:53 AM
03/31/18 09:53 AM
South Dakota
R
Rhino7 Offline
trapper
Rhino7  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: The Beav
. The only problem I've had Is when your dealing with freezing weather. Then you can have problems shoving the support wire Into the whammy.

Plastic tubing is the way to go in my opinion. I carry a lighter in my pocket all the time and in the winter I just heat up the whammy and slide in my 9 gauge wire.

Re: Snare / cable restraint support question [Re: Hutchy] #6203958
03/31/18 10:40 AM
03/31/18 10:40 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Hutchy
Double ferrules. My support wire fits exact with no slop. Rubber gas line sometimes is a pain because I find its not rigid enough.

So If I'm only using a piece 1" long It's not going to be rigid enough?

I like the idea with the lighter.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91