No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: James] #6224548
04/23/18 09:35 AM
04/23/18 09:35 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted By: James
PASkinner, murder was just an example. You could do the same analysis for theft and other crimes, which as children we learn (most of us) as a line between "good" (what helps other individuals and the group) and "evil" (what hurts other individuals and the group).

If you were right that only God can instill a moral code, and does so with humans, then why don't babies know the difference between right and wrong?

The answer is that they have to learn it from their parents and people around them.

Jim

But what you have there is not morality, it's just rules. Just because something helps the group or you doesn't make it good and just because it hurts society doesn't make it evil.
People by and large know what is right and what is wrong. But their inclination towards sin is also there from the start. So, you have this war going on in the human soul and everyone sins to one degree or another. Which is Biblical and observable.
But, if it's just what is good for society, who are we to say for example that a fifty year old Muslim male should not marry a five year old girl? It's part of their society, it's good as far as we know. But instead, we find the idea revolting and sick. Why?

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: danny clifton] #6224580
04/23/18 10:31 AM
04/23/18 10:31 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
I have long thought that christians who get upset when I tell them I'm not a believer, are themselves unbelievers, but lack the courage to tell anybody. Else why the anger?

I can tell folks argument for argument why I CAN"T believe their fairy tales but it does no good. For whatever reason they insist I should at least pretend to believe to avoid hellfire. To me that is so ridiculous it isn't even worth discussing.

DC,
I'm a Christian, and I agree with everything you posted above.

People with either no real belief, week faith, or beliefs they've adopted from their family often exhibit those characteristics you've identified.
It always makes me a little curious when I hear "Christians" express anger like you describe. God does not need me to defend Him. The big difference between the God I worship and the god muslims worship (don't let anyone tell you they are the same god, they're not) is that the muslim god is apparently weak, and requires his followers to do his fighting.

If I were to feel slighted or offended by other people's disbelief in my faith, that would say there is something wrong with me, imo.

Regarding your last paragraph; a simple facade of belief in the hope it will provide some sort of fire insurance would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: AntiGov] #6224753
04/23/18 03:09 PM
04/23/18 03:09 PM
Northern Virginia
J
Jarhead620 Offline
trapper
Jarhead620  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Virginia
Originally Posted By: AntiGov
If we evolved from monkeys , why are there still monkeys ? Who created the monkey ? Or did they evolve from a million year old donkey turd ?

Why no half monkey half humans ? You know , mid evolved . Other than maybe moochelle

I find it curious that there is a lengthy list of harmless words that someone has judged to be "naughty" that are banned from the forum, but
Anti's hateful and ignorant racism is apparently OK.

Jarhead

Last edited by Jarhead620; 04/23/18 03:12 PM.

"Just as the deer herd lives in mortal fear of its wolves, so does a mountain live in mortal fear of its deer." Aldo Leopold
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6225849
04/24/18 06:36 PM
04/24/18 06:36 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Careful, Larry. You'll be accused of "playing the race card."

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: PAskinner] #6225869
04/24/18 07:22 PM
04/24/18 07:22 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted By: PAskinner
PASkinner, murder was just an example. You could do the same analysis for theft and other crimes, which as children we learn (most of us) as a line between "good" (what helps other individuals and the group) and "evil" (what hurts other individuals and the group).

If you were right that only God can instill a moral code, and does so with humans, then why don't babies know the difference between right and wrong?

The answer is that they have to learn it from their parents and people around them.

Jim

But what you have there is not morality, it's just rules. Just because something helps the group or you doesn't make it good and just because it hurts society doesn't make it evil.
People by and large know what is right and what is wrong. But their inclination towards sin is also there from the start. So, you have this war going on in the human soul and everyone sins to one degree or another. Which is Biblical and observable.
But, if it's just what is good for society, who are we to say for example that a fifty year old Muslim male should not marry a five year old girl? It's part of their society, it's good as far as we know. But instead, we find the idea revolting and sick. Why?

A moral code is a set of rules. That's what we (most of us) learn from our parents and those around us. Part of our socialization and cultural upbringing.

Why do we think the fifty-year-old Muslim male in your example is doing evil by marrying a thirteen-year-old, but he does not? It's because of a different cultural moral code.

If the moral code is instilled by a Creator, then why doesn't everyone everywhere have the same one?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6225937
04/24/18 09:19 PM
04/24/18 09:19 PM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
Has the popcorn evolved yet is what I want to know I think this will settle the debate once and for all.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: James] #6225949
04/24/18 09:30 PM
04/24/18 09:30 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA

A moral code is a set of rules. That's what we (most of us) learn from our parents and those around us. Part of our socialization and cultural upbringing.

Why do we think the fifty-year-old Muslim male in your example is doing evil by marrying a thirteen-year-old, but he does not? It's because of a different cultural moral code.

If the moral code is instilled by a Creator, then why doesn't everyone everywhere have the same one?

Jim

You are making my point for me. In your system of thinking, there is no such thing as a moral code, only different rules for different cultures. Therefore, anything can be justified and nothing can truly be said to be good or evil. It's all relative, all just each persons opinion. Everyone becomes a little god unto themselves. Which is why we need teaching like the ten commandments and the sermon on the mount to understand what God considers moral behavior and what isn't.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6225964
04/24/18 09:51 PM
04/24/18 09:51 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
You didn't answer my question, in the last line you quote above. You don't explain why a Creator would instill different moral codes in different cultures.

I have a moral code, but it was installed by my parents, not God. I am, after all, an agnostic.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6225998
04/24/18 10:24 PM
04/24/18 10:24 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
A moral code can be given from a Creator but that doesn't mean it's installed in our DNA. If it was Moses wouldn't of had to put them on stone.

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226009
04/24/18 10:47 PM
04/24/18 10:47 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

I'm a Christian, however, I don't believe that God has instilled a universal moral code in people. That's why we need parents to instill their kids with a moral code and values. It's obvious what happens when that doesn't happen; kids turn into self-centered animals. It's happening all around us. If God instilled us as infants with a moral code, kids could raise themselves more-or-less, and turn out just fine. It just doesn't happen that way.

People (everyone) is born with a self-centered (sin) nature; it is not natural to be "good". That's what the bible teaches anyway.

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226028
04/24/18 11:14 PM
04/24/18 11:14 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
If God is good and created man in his image, isn't that statement a paradox?

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226042
04/24/18 11:34 PM
04/24/18 11:34 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^
Originally good? yes; but he also create us with a freewill, we decided we know better how to do things, that's when things went downhill. That's the problem with freewill. But that's a whole different argument than creation.

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226103
04/25/18 05:40 AM
04/25/18 05:40 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
To me its real simple. We humans have questions we don't have answers to. We have a propensity to create answers because we can't stand not knowing. Its why we know what atoms are and how many planets orbit our star. Insatiable curiosity. When our curiosity leads us to a realm without answers we convince ourselves that A means R and so Q must be the why. Without any evidence at all.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226111
04/25/18 06:03 AM
04/25/18 06:03 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Quote:
Originally good? yes;
As at birth?
\
Quote:
That's the problem with freewill.
ahh, but free will only allows one to chose, it does not necessitate knowledge of what is chosen.
//
And the whole moral argument is irrelevant to creation vs evolution/nothingness.
"Moral philosophy includes moral ontology, which is the origin of morals; and moral epistemology, which is the knowledge of morals"-- two more directions to take, if the discussion is to be about mores rather than origins.

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226116
04/25/18 06:16 AM
04/25/18 06:16 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Yes, we created answers to explain atoms if atoms actually exist. We also created answers to what stars are. Humans are very creative. Is that because we are created in the image of a creator? Or because we exist only in the voids of our nothingness? Was it holography?

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: James] #6226163
04/25/18 07:38 AM
04/25/18 07:38 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
You didn't answer my question, in the last line you quote above. You don't explain why a Creator would instill different moral codes in different cultures.

I have a moral code, but it was installed by my parents, not God. I am, after all, an agnostic.

Jim

I already explained earlier that while man has a basic sense of right and wrong, it has been corrupted by sin. It's not that we don't know, it's that we have a terrible capacity for self deception due to Adam's falling into Satan's trap. We allow ourselves to be deceived by poor teaching by parents or simply our selfish desires. Pride being the root of most sin, we tend to do what we think will bring us the most pleasure, not realizing that the best way to receive blessings is to give them.
It's not that the Creator is giving different moral codes to different cultures, it's that most cultures do not embrace Jesus' teachings. Our free will gets us in trouble more often than not, because we use it wrong.

…6Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7"If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it."

Our basic instinct is self preservation. Jesus turns all that upside down. Read Luke 6..

27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

.counter cultural? You bet!

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: tjm] #6226165
04/25/18 07:42 AM
04/25/18 07:42 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted By: tjm
If God is good and created man in his image, isn't that statement a paradox?

Man was created good with the capacity for intimate communication with God, but also given free choices. He chose badly, as we all do. We still bare the image of God, under all our crud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeOyFxjkqKY

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226171
04/25/18 07:52 AM
04/25/18 07:52 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
PA why not just say you don't know why your God instills different morality in different cultures? If your god was the source of morality what difference would it make if they had heard of Jesus? They would still gravitate to the same morality.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226189
04/25/18 08:45 AM
04/25/18 08:45 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Isn't it clear from observation that mankind tends to gravitate toward immorality?

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Creationism or evolution? [Re: harleydparts] #6226233
04/25/18 09:34 AM
04/25/18 09:34 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^^^^
I guess we're getting off the creation/evolution debate a little.

But the question you raise, "Isn't it clear from observation that mankind tends to gravitate toward immorality?" brings up a big question that divides people on both philosophical, political and religious issues.

1) The orthodox Judaeo-Christian belief that man is born with a sinful nature and is inherently bad/evil/corrupt/selfish etc.
OR
2) The humanist view that man is born basically good.

In broad generalities, conservatives hold to the first position (both politically and religiously) and liberals tend to hold to the second point of view.

As much as the humanist view sounds more pleasant and positive, when their principles and beliefs are put into action the results are generally pretty terrifying.

Last edited by waggler; 04/25/18 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread