No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bobcats and trails question. [Re: PAskinner] #6260117
06/14/18 09:19 PM
06/14/18 09:19 PM
Kentucky
K
Kyt Offline
trapper
Kyt  Offline
trapper
K

Kentucky
Sometimes the problem is not just a stray hoof that sets the trap off as the deer, cow or elk walks down the trail. They are attracted to the smell of urine and lure. I had to relocate several traps that were near elk trails especially because they actively searched for the sets and pawed and trampled them to get at the attractants. At times deer, goats, and and cattle have done the same. Have not had any experience with horses doing it, but haven't trapped near them either. Maybe they smell salt in the urine or lure and that is what they are after.

Re: Bobcats and trails question. [Re: PAskinner] #6260139
06/14/18 09:36 PM
06/14/18 09:36 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted By: PAskinner
Thanks, that's what I kinda thought, but we don't have bobcats locally, so all I know for sure about them is what I saw from tracks in the snow up north last season. I've made similar sets in deer trails here for coon and fox with success, just not as tighly blocked. For pulling them off a road, I'm thinking some kind of tinsel, I'm just concerned about thieves. We had at least one cat simply walk past where we had to set off a two track. I have only a few days to cat trap, so all misses are frustrating.

Paskinner, your mail box is maxed out.
Don't feel too bad about cats walking on by. I seen in the snow where a bobcat came up to a fisher cubby that was freshly baited with fresh beaver meat and simply saw where it sat down and rested. Then the sign showed the cat simply walked by the fresh meal. I was not asking the cat (or fisher) to go up hill or down, it was a level approach, in a natural cubby. Some times those rascals are just being cats.

Last edited by Mac; 06/14/18 09:37 PM.

Re: Bobcats and trails question. [Re: PAskinner] #6260151
06/14/18 10:03 PM
06/14/18 10:03 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Quote:
Why is it the cats I see and the rare track I find are parallel to but some distance from the deer trails?

The cat was hunting, not just going from point A to point B. By paralleling the trail he can ambush a critter on it. A faint trail parallel to a predominate trail is an excellent place to snare a cat, even better if it is a little higher than the larger trail. For both his own safety and for ambush the cat wants to see without being seen.

Last edited by Furvor; 06/14/18 11:29 PM.
Re: Bobcats and trails question. [Re: PAskinner] #6260273
06/15/18 07:25 AM
06/15/18 07:25 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
In "Newt's World"
Here in South Jersey. Where a good buck will weigh only 90#.Lots of yearlings will weigh 20#-30# in trap'n season. Any horizonal pole higher than 12" will put more deer in your set, than not.

Johnny Thorp- "A bobcat is like a pot head. He has nothing to do all day. And all day to do it."
When snaring in the southern states. I cought most of my snared cats. On trails that looked like coon trails,to a untrained eye.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: Bobcats and trails question. [Re: PAskinner] #6260279
06/15/18 07:39 AM
06/15/18 07:39 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
"Rabbit" trails around old brush piles are likely to hit

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bobcats and trails question. [Re: PAskinner] #6260412
06/15/18 12:46 PM
06/15/18 12:46 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Just a note,I used the 16",horizontal pole in the East as well,where the deer weren't big and no problems.The key is,leave it clear over the pole for deer to go over and a place to go around,if they want to.If it is a straight section of trail,cats will go straight through.16" is lower than a deer's belly.Make sure the pole is horizontal,not slanted,and blocked in tight.

The OP is talking about traps,not snares.Even if a deer scooted under,he would just have a snipped trap.

You can also add a second pole,parallel to the first and a few inches apart,trap directly under,to really keep the deer's feet off the trap.

Re: Bobcats and trails question. [Re: Furvor] #6260613
06/15/18 07:48 PM
06/15/18 07:48 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted By: Furvor
Quote:
Why is it the cats I see and the rare track I find are parallel to but some distance from the deer trails?

The cat was hunting, not just going from point A to point B. By paralleling the trail he can ambush a critter on it. A faint trail parallel to a predominate trail is an excellent place to snare a cat, even better if it is a little higher than the larger trail. For both his own safety and for ambush the cat wants to see without being seen.
This is what I surmised. A few places I'm sure the cats are the only critters that walk those faint paths. Other places there are buck trails that parallel the deer trails.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread