No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Good News for Feral Hogs in Louisiana [Re: Aix sponsa] #6271288
07/02/18 05:46 PM
07/02/18 05:46 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Lol yea I was thinking that too.wish they would try 10$ tail bounty in Arkansas!I would prolly only work 2 days a week and spend the rest huntin hogs. Eaven if someone did try and cheet the system and screwed it up for us I would have a heck of a run!

Re: Good News for Feral Hogs in Louisiana [Re: Arkansas87] #6271312
07/02/18 06:26 PM
07/02/18 06:26 PM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Originally Posted By: Arkansas87
If they could put a 10$ bounty on every hog killed. Hog problems would slow way down

You honestly think that would help? They would just release more to make more pigs for more money....sows would be given a free pass, bounties never work.

Re: Good News for Feral Hogs in Louisiana [Re: Aix sponsa] #6271324
07/02/18 06:49 PM
07/02/18 06:49 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Harlan County Reservoir in Nebraska has gilts gone wild too. F&G gets a pickup load annually.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Good News for Feral Hogs in Louisiana [Re: Aix sponsa] #6271351
07/02/18 07:27 PM
07/02/18 07:27 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Arkansas87
If they could put a 10$ bounty on every hog killed. Hog problems would slow way down

I used to believe that a bounty would solve a wildlife problem, but now I know it won’t—-at least in most cases. Nutrias? Yes, I feel as though it was successful. Hogs? Beavers? No.

Too many unscrupulous “trappers”. Buying tails and turning them in. How can a county seriously expect honesty when the going rate is $3 each for as many as someone wants to buy? Anymore it seems that honesty and integrity are getting hard to find. If you know people that are honest, ya better be good to them.

Also, bounties are rarely enough to justify intense trapping. Nutrias were the exception, because huge areas were wide open to an airboat. There was no area out of their reach. With hogs or beavers, there are pockets that are too hard to reach for “road trappers” to be able to justify spending time going after.
The result is a population knocked back a little, and then it rebounds shortly after.

If a bounty were high enough, yes, professional trappers would hammer down and eradicate them. Will anyone ever pay a bounty high enough to get those professionals to kick it into high gear? Unlikely. No one could afford to pay what it would take. No one short of Bill gates, the Amazon.com dude, or the Facestalk guy Zuckerberg. So.....a bounty on hogs is out. For areas with open terrain, aerial gunning is the ticket. For everyone else, an approved poison is the only way we’ll ever have a chance of eradication or the closest thing to it.

Those are my opinions anyway. I’m not eradicating anything larger than a mouse for $10 or each or less. Maybe some people will, but I won’t

Re: Good News for Feral Hogs in Louisiana [Re: Aix sponsa] #6271365
07/02/18 07:43 PM
07/02/18 07:43 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Just rough top of the head calculation I'd need 200 a head bounty to make it worth my time and I'd be in the hole just in start up costs on equipment. Traps and guns ain't cheap. But a few sounders would pay off start up then it's time and labor which would quickly eat into my other paying work so I'm not actively perusing hogs at the moment.

[Linked Image]
Re: Good News for Feral Hogs in Louisiana [Re: Aix sponsa] #6271372
07/02/18 07:57 PM
07/02/18 07:57 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Yea I see what u mean. I was just thinking it would help around where I live anyways. Got alot of friends and family that have river camps on the oauchita river and if I'm headed to the river camp for the weekend to fish with everybody and it's late and I just got off work on a Friday night and a bunch of hogs cross the road like they allways do and most of the time in multiple spots down the long gravel road through bean fields and timber I dnt stop and shoot any. It's late and that's not what I'm after I just want to get to fishing lol. But now if them hogs was worth 10$ a piece time to make some boat gass money lol! And I know alot of people that would do the same.

Re: Good News for Feral Hogs in Louisiana [Re: Aix sponsa] #6271375
07/02/18 08:04 PM
07/02/18 08:04 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Just having fun entertaining the idea if hogs were worth 10$ a piece. Lol Yall dnt take me to serious.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread