No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272534
07/04/18 01:49 PM
07/04/18 01:49 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Isle Royale was the epitome of prey predation without interference showing the world how nature works without game management and that's what happened Yellowstone is another example why the F&W doesn't use this to the sportman"s advantage is the real problem species that have sustainable populations elsewhere have been introduced all over the US and called endangered limiting access and user ability to manage This is my personal opinion

olden tyred
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272549
07/04/18 02:04 PM
07/04/18 02:04 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I wrote that speech 30 years ago, so the wolves there pretty much died off?

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272555
07/04/18 02:10 PM
07/04/18 02:10 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Has anyone been to the Isle? Not me, I don't know a whole lot about it. Do they have ferries? Probly be cheaper to ferry hunters to the Isle to help control that moose population. Wonder if that option was considered?

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: Tactical.20] #6272561
07/04/18 02:13 PM
07/04/18 02:13 PM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Tactical.20
I wrote that speech 30 years ago, so the wolves there pretty much died off?

From what I read, yes. The inbreeding has screwed up the genetics enough that they were strong enough to last.

I agree with Boco, let the wolves die off and eventually they may or may not come back just like initially. The the moose over browse then die from starvation.

We wildlife managers (hunters/trappers) can use this to point to why we're essential to an ecosystem.

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: Tweed] #6272566
07/04/18 02:15 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Tweed
[quote=Tactical.20]

We wildlife managers (hunters/trappers) can use this to point to why we're essential to an ecosystem.
I think you are on to something with that line of thinking. Good point.

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272567
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: AJE
Has anyone been to the Isle? Not me, I don't know a whole lot about it. Do they have ferries? Probly be cheaper to ferry hunters to the Isle to help control that moose population. Wonder if that option was considered?

Never been but boy would I love to.

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272571
07/04/18 02:17 PM
07/04/18 02:17 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Me too, Tweed.

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272578
07/04/18 02:25 PM
07/04/18 02:25 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
a ferry runs from Copper Harbor in the Northern Upper Peninsula to the island Tactical20 from what I gather the wolves first eliminated the beaver without the marshes and ponds the moose population dropped then the wolves hard to find good current information any would be appreciated

olden tyred
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272584
07/04/18 02:35 PM
07/04/18 02:35 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
I for one agree with Boco and Gulo.. Let it ride it's coarse and make it an example of why we do what we do!! Without balance all life suffers!

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272585
07/04/18 02:36 PM
07/04/18 02:36 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
article in the Detroit Free Press March,2016 pretty much describes whats happening sorry no link

olden tyred
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272594
07/04/18 02:51 PM
07/04/18 02:51 PM
Interior Alaska
R
Rusty Newhouse Offline
trapper
Rusty Newhouse  Offline
trapper
R

Interior Alaska
They done plenty of research on wolf/moose relationship at Isle Royale.
Seems to me that they should introduce a different predator and study it's relationship with moose.
Such as black bears or hunters (humans).
If the moose are starving to death it wouldn't be much a hunt.

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272723
07/04/18 05:52 PM
07/04/18 05:52 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
[quote=Tweed][quote=Tactical.20]

I think you are on to something with that line of thinking. Good point. [/quote
I didn't say that, it was quote from another guy]

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: Gulo] #6272863
07/04/18 10:12 PM
07/04/18 10:12 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Gulo
White, Sharon, and others.

I've not kept up recently with the Isle Royale situation, although a lot of Dave Mech's earlier work (several decades ago) was real good wolf/moose interaction work, done on Isle Royale.

In my opinion, it doesn't take a metric boatload of wolves (or any other vertebrate species, for that matter) as founder populations to increase the genetic diversity and reduce the incidence of inbreeding, with resultant bottlenecks, birth deformities, and reduced vigor of the population. Geneticists and other biologist-types have for years relied on mathematical models and come up with astounding numbers that are "critical" to ensure genetic diversity. On the other hand, there are documented realities from a variety of species that have done well over many generations with a founder population of two. (Long as one's a male and one's a female). I'm not advocating reintroduction of wolves on Isle Royale. I seem to remember not too long ago that the National Park Service was advocating letting it "naturally" repopulate (or not) and see what happens (as Pete mentioned above).

In a Park situation, especially one that's "insular" (isolated from other populations), kick-starting the wolf population will probably result in rapid increases in the wolf population, the result being a decline in prey (moose) populations. Without management, the pendulum will again swing in favor of wolves, and the vicious cycle will undoubtedly repeat itself over the next few decades. Predator/Prey populations have historically never been in "balance" over the long-term. It is a roller-coaster of selective highs-and-lows. These wild cycles can be moderated, to the long-term benefit of both species, with reasonable management (sportsmen harvest). Obviously, that isn't going to happen in a National Park.

My two-cents worth...

Jack

As usual Jack, I have more questions.

If they want to introduce 30 wolves, how many distinct genetic groups do you think they would want to choose from ? What would the gender make up be ? More females or an equal number of both ? Any guesses about wolf on wolf mortality during introduction ? Would they hold strange wolves together ..in pairs maybe...prior to release ?

How many generations would it take until the population is back to the same inbred condition it is currently ? IF the former population was susceptible to disease due to inbreeding, would there be any organisms remaining in old scats that the new wolves could contract ?

If the island is 15 miles off the mainland, is that too far to repopulate the island by wolves swimming ? I'm thinking about a comparison with POW island. Isn't that how those wolves got/get there ? Did you find unique physical characteristics in POW wolves ? Surely, they must have been inbred to a certain degree ?? Unusual development or illness ?

If the wolves are inbred because of isolation, wouldn't that also apply to the moose ? Do we see the same types of impact on ungulates that we might see in canids over generations ?

Mean As Nails
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: white17] #6272868
07/04/18 10:22 PM
07/04/18 10:22 PM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: white17

I've not kept up recently with the Isle Royale situation, although a lot of Dave Mech's earlier work (several decades ago) was real good wolf/moose interaction work, done on Isle Royale.

In my opinion, it doesn't take a metric boatload of wolves (or any other vertebrate species, for that matter) as founder populations to increase the genetic diversity and reduce the incidence of inbreeding, with resultant bottlenecks, birth deformities, and reduced vigor of the population. Geneticists and other biologist-types have for years relied on mathematical models and come up with astounding numbers that are "critical" to ensure genetic diversity. On the other hand, there are documented realities from a variety of species that have done well over many generations with a founder population of two. (Long as one's a male and one's a female). I'm not advocating reintroduction of wolves on Isle Royale. I seem to remember not too long ago that the National Park Service was advocating letting it "naturally" repopulate (or not) and see what happens (as Pete mentioned above).

In a Park situation, especially one that's "insular" (isolated from other populations), kick-starting the wolf population will probably result in rapid increases in the wolf population, the result being a decline in prey (moose) populations. Without management, the pendulum will again swing in favor of wolves, and the vicious cycle will undoubtedly repeat itself over the next few decades. Predator/Prey populations have historically never been in "balance" over the long-term. It is a roller-coaster of selective highs-and-lows. These wild cycles can be moderated, to the long-term benefit of both species, with reasonable management (sportsmen harvest). Obviously, that isn't going to happen in a National Park.

My two-cents worth...

Jack

If the wolves are inbred because of isolation, wouldn't that also apply to the moose ? Do we see the same types of impact on ungulates that we might see in canids over generations ?

The island moose like many other isolates are smaller.

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272870
07/04/18 10:23 PM
07/04/18 10:23 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
wonder where the 2 million is coming from and if that's their estimate double that actually I wonder how much is spent annually on introducing species that few people want and are plentiful elsewhere

olden tyred
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: Tweed] #6272871
07/04/18 10:28 PM
07/04/18 10:28 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK

Smaller than what Tweed ?? What species are they ? ??

Mean As Nails
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6272873
07/04/18 10:30 PM
07/04/18 10:30 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
I believe the wolves initially got there by crossing winter ice, no swimming involved.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: Gulo] #6272878
07/04/18 10:37 PM
07/04/18 10:37 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.

My two-cents worth...

Jack

Thank you, Jack .... your insight is always appreciated .

Makes total sense ...

Your experience is valued so much, which is discernment and knowledge.

And indeed, inspires more questions !

Thank you for sharing with us all cool

See you on the surface .....

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: white17] #6272964
07/05/18 05:19 AM
07/05/18 05:19 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: white17

Smaller than what Tweed ?? What species are they ? ??

Than a mainland moose. According to research, they have shrunk by about 16% since the study started.

Re: Isle Royale wolf reintroduction [Re: AJE] #6273043
07/05/18 08:45 AM
07/05/18 08:45 AM
Midland, Michigan
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper
Rusty Axe Camp  Offline
trapper

Midland, Michigan

I hiked it after high school graduation before college. 1995

Very cool place. They were having issues with wolf inbreeding then. It was chuck full of moose and fox at that time.

It's been an ongoing experiment / "biosphere" since that became a thing. They've tried to impart as little as possible human effect.

They finally had an ice bridge a few years ago and I heard a few wolves went over, but they either went back or died as they couldn't find them when they did their aerial surveys. They remaining couple om the island have been inbred to the point of self sterilization and growth issues. The researchers know each wolf on the island.

Hunts would never happen on Isle Royale. I wasn't surprised at the decision to import wolves. They want the "experiment" to continue. This is just part of it. Now they can track the bloodlines of which wolves from where succeed and which don't, how they interact and breed, etc.

Our tax dollars get wasted at such a sickening rate anyway, might as well have it go to something cool we can follow, not the effects of cocaine on Jamaican grouse while listening to Spanish music.

Erik Johnson
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread