No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Help with reloading [Re: Rhino7] #6273131
07/05/18 11:49 AM
07/05/18 11:49 AM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
Clean your barrel very good. Get any copper fouling out.

Re: Help with reloading [Re: Rhino7] #6273269
07/05/18 03:03 PM
07/05/18 03:03 PM
South Dakota
R
Rhino7 Offline OP
trapper
Rhino7  Offline OP
trapper
R

South Dakota
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I apprecite it. I didnt give details in my first post to see if there was a"generic" fix for a group like this. I will tighten everything on the gun this evening, but I am thinking that a lower charge helped tighten things up. Lowered to a 36gr charge and it shoots the best. I did a 3 shot group, then a 6 shot group. I think I am to the point where I will mess around with OAL (like someone suggested). Here is my 3 shot group with 36gr. You can see the group below it with a higher powder charge.

O yea, the gun is a Ruger American, bullet is a Sierra 85gr hpbt and powder is IMR4064

Re: Help with reloading [Re: Rhino7] #6273294
07/05/18 03:43 PM
07/05/18 03:43 PM
Northern MI
P
paradork Offline
trapper
paradork  Offline
trapper
P

Northern MI
Reloading is such an interesting thing. As little story. Tried the eldx bullet is three different target rifles. Always had two in one hole with a flyer about an inch away. All three guns. Always used Lapua brass. Decided to switch to hornsby brass and it shoots hole in hole with the 6.5. So many variables. Same load, different brass. Turned a one inch group into a one hole group

Don't do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics. I do appreciate a good story tho.
Re: Help with reloading [Re: Rhino7] #6273295
07/05/18 03:45 PM
07/05/18 03:45 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Rhino7
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I apprecite it. I didnt give details in my first post to see if there was a"generic" fix for a group like this. I will tighten everything on the gun this evening, but I am thinking that a lower charge helped tighten things up. Lowered to a 36gr charge and it shoots the best. I did a 3 shot group, then a 6 shot group. I think I am to the point where I will mess around with OAL (like someone suggested). Here is my 3 shot group with 36gr. You can see the group below it with a higher powder charge.

O yea, the gun is a Ruger American, bullet is a Sierra 85gr hpbt and powder is IMR4064

I have always found that a slightly lower charge will shrink groups ...at least when I am behind the gun.

Mean As Nails
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread