No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: jk] #6297099
08/08/18 10:23 AM
08/08/18 10:23 AM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted By: jk
Pigs----no one mentioned pigs!!!!! Boy have I been chased by those suckers when I was a kid!!! I will no knowing it enter a pig enclosure again!!!!!!!

While you are at it might as well mention roosters also. My brother dang near got his eyes pecked out when he was about two. My other brothers and I took care of that with a couple pitch forks and the cows cast iron tub watering trough. lol

Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297108
08/08/18 10:55 AM
08/08/18 10:55 AM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
My grandpa lost a knee cap due to a boar hog. Trying to get some piglets to the barn and the boar charged and hooked him! While he was down it went in for the kill but my uncle turned it into sausage! 357 style

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297115
08/08/18 11:11 AM
08/08/18 11:11 AM
Fl
C
chains Offline
trapper
chains  Offline
trapper
C

Fl
Got chased by a horse one time got over the fence just in time! Trapping east of Denver years ago. Hopped a fence down into Tag Alders. Movement out of corner of eye. Buffalo, I do n0t believed I was chased. Never looked back!

Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297134
08/08/18 11:38 AM
08/08/18 11:38 AM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
One of my favorite spots had 2 ox mixed in with the milkers, never had a problem till one day it got real interesting. That ox chased me around a hay wagon a couple of time til I got under it and crawled to the other side and cleared the barbed wire fence. Talked to the farmer about, he liked those OX: but he agreed they could get testy. In time he got rid of them. Getting stomped by an OX for a few muskrats makes for a bad risk reward day. Getting to old so if it ain't safe, I don't do it no more. Aside from that it gave my wife more ammo to complain about, wish she get back to painting the house and pulling weeds and the mowing needs done also: I gotta go the the Cat County Convention. Jim

Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297148
08/08/18 12:07 PM
08/08/18 12:07 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
After reading some of these posts, it seems like Holstein bulls are the pit bulls of cattle.

When I was a teenager, we were seining redtail chubs on Sauk river. A Holstein bull chased us out into the river to the point where we had to swim because of the depth. When he couldn't touch bottom, he stopped, turned around and went back to shore. We swam to the other side and sat on the bank until the herd left before we went back to get our net and minnow boat.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Trapper7] #6297170
08/08/18 12:41 PM
08/08/18 12:41 PM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted By: Trapper7
After reading some of these posts, it seems like Holstein bulls are the pit bulls of cattle.

When I was a teenager, we were seining redtail chubs on Sauk river. A Holstein bull chased us out into the river to the point where we had to swim because of the depth. When he couldn't touch bottom, he stopped, turned around and went back to shore. We swam to the other side and sat on the bank until the herd left before we went back to get our net and minnow boat.

Two of the four I mentioned above I know were Jersey bulls in with Holstein cattle. Not sure on the other 2.

Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: whartonrattrappe] #6297278
08/08/18 04:44 PM
08/08/18 04:44 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted By: whartonrattrappe
Originally Posted By: jk
Pigs----no one mentioned pigs!!!!! Boy have I been chased by those suckers when I was a kid!!! I will no knowing it enter a pig enclosure again!!!!!!!

While you are at it might as well mention roosters also. My brother dang near got his eyes pecked out when he was about two. My other brothers and I took care of that with a couple pitch forks and the cows cast iron tub watering trough. lol

Recently saw a video on FB of all places. Boy maybe 2-3 walked into a chicken coop with nothing but a t shirt on. Ol rooster thought he found himself a dangling worm. Two pecks later I bet that kid never got in a coop again. Parent filming went from “how cute,” to horror in seconds.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297357
08/08/18 06:23 PM
08/08/18 06:23 PM
KS
R
Red89 Offline
trapper
Red89  Offline
trapper
R

KS
Cattle can't take sharp turns. If you ever payed attention to what rodeo clowns (correct term is bull fighters) do in a rodeo is stay up tight and go in circles. You typically can't outrun one in a straight line. Usually, presence is everything. But with that "one", this could be a handy little piece of information until you are able to hop up a tree or dive through a fence.

Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297380
08/08/18 07:02 PM
08/08/18 07:02 PM
Ohio
C
Computer Hater Offline
trapper
Computer Hater  Offline
trapper
C

Ohio
Buddy asked me to help him get a few of his cows in. They had went through a bad spot in the fence. He said he would go down in the bottom of the bank barn and open the gates. He asked me to circle around behind them. He said they would run to the barn and he would have the proper gates opened to get them back where they belonged. All was going well until the bull decided he didn't want to go towards the barn. He turned and charged me. Fortunately there was a round hay bale close by. I ran behind that with the bull in hot pursuit. We went around the hay bale 2 or 3 times. Seemed like a hundred. The bull finally stopped and then he tried to push-roll the hay bale out of the way. I pushed back against it and was able to keep him from pushing it. While this is happening, I am yelling for my friend. The bull seeing that he couldn't push the bale away decided to go over it. Just as that happened my friend came out of the barn and started yelling at the bull. Thankfully the bull took off after him and he ran through the gate down under the barn and hopped the fence, He then came back behind the bull and closed the gate. If the bull went over the bale, I'm not sure I would have been able to outrun him to the fence or the truck. Thankfully I didn't have to find out. That bull became hamburger a few days later. My friend said he wasn't going to have a bull around that was dangerous.

Randy
Member NTA, FTA
Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297390
08/08/18 07:10 PM
08/08/18 07:10 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I was stalked by a crazy bull one deer season. Managed to get back to the truck and go see the owner. He said next time put a round in it's head and let me know where it at! I said fine, but never saw it again.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297422
08/08/18 08:23 PM
08/08/18 08:23 PM
Kiel,Wisconsin
H
Hatchetman Offline OP
trapper
Hatchetman  Offline OP
trapper
H

Kiel,Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Hatchetman
Anyone ever encounter a PO'd bull on the trapline?

I don't know what made me think of this today, but many years ago when I was in my early twenties I recall walking through, what I thought was a heifer and dry cow pasture to pull two fox sets I had on a high grassy hill just out of the pasture fence on the far side.
I remember seeing the 20 or so cattle way down on the opposite end of the pasture a good 300 yds away. With traps retrieved and on my way back through the pasture I had just turned the corner where the pasture lane led back to the barn. Not really paying attention to the cattle and ambling down the lane I here a Fa-lump Fa-lump Fa-lump from behind me... Out of nowhere comes this big, mostly white holstien bull, head down, at full steam straight at me.
I had about 3 strides to get up enough speed to high jump the taunt 5 strand fence. I barely made it over but my trap bag got hung up in the fence. The bull slams into fence as I am rolling on the ground to get away as I hear the wire screech and a cedar fence post crack. luckily the fence holds while I get to my feet and start running away. I hear the bull let out one of those low gutteral bellars as I look back to see the wires stretched tightly across his brisket eek

I remember back at the truck, looking back at the bull still pacing back and forth in that section of lane .
I figured that moving on down my line and retrieving my trap bag and traps still hanging in the fence at a later time would be best... sick

I would also add...
I had those sets there for a good two weeks. I was working day shift at the time, so during the week I was walking through that pasture in then dark every morning to check them. Luckily, never had an issue.
Then again, I honestly never heard of a bull attach in the dark, so does anyone know... do bulls calm way down at night? Or was I just a very lucky young man? blush

Re: charged by a bull on the trapline [Re: Hatchetman] #6297446
08/08/18 08:53 PM
08/08/18 08:53 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Come on.. u never been cow tipping at night??

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread