No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Welder for my trapping projects [Re: haftatrap] #6356214
10/25/18 07:54 AM
10/25/18 07:54 AM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
If you have that much money to spend on a welder get a name brand one and figure one day to up grade with gas, it will cover anything you need to do.

Most people suggest what works for them after getting it cause they can't buy a new one, you can buy many nice welding units at garage sells as well, as some people work them selves out of using them due to age or passing, and the family does not know how to use them, sometimes you can find almost new outfits setup with gas for less than your spending for new and there is nothing wrong with them.

All that being said, most name brand 120v welders today are capable of doing what you need, as they are built a whole lot different than anything even ten years ago, your most important thing to look at is duty cycle percentage, than whether it's 220 or 110 volt's !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Welder for my trapping projects [Re: haftatrap] #6356271
10/25/18 08:50 AM
10/25/18 08:50 AM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
I picked up an eastwood mig 135 its a great little machine I bought a 80cu in bottle of 75/25 argon co2. this welder has welded everything I have needed it too but if your wanting to weld 1/4 most times id get the mig 250 they have price was around 500 for the 250amp mig bottle will cost you around 200-250 if you purchase the bottle, that's what I did rather than renting the bottle. I really like the quality of weld I can lay down with it as well. most of my welding is on 3/16 steel I have welded 5/16th steel by preheating the steel first but that's with the 135 the 250 I believe the said would do 1/2 in in one pass. worth looking into for hobby welding. ive put 2 10 lbs spools through my little 135 with not a single issue other than me forgetting to turn the gas on a few times lol. just thought id give my 2 cents

Re: Welder for my trapping projects [Re: haftatrap] #6356287
10/25/18 09:12 AM
10/25/18 09:12 AM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
This welder question comes up routinely on here. You can go to the "welding tips and tricks" website and get great information on just about everything welding, including reviews of welder equipment that would serve anyone's needs on this website. Good luck.

Re: Welder for my trapping projects [Re: ~ADC~] #6356390
10/25/18 11:19 AM
10/25/18 11:19 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted By: haftatrap
I would like to be able to weld over 1/4 in but most of my projects would be a 1/4 and below. I want something universal and capable so I’m not out buying 3 different welders.As for money 600 or so would be nice to stay around but if need be I could save and buy better. I see a lot of stuff out there about multimacines that do mig, stick and so on.

Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
Hobart 140 will get you the most for your money and not break the bank. Get the gas to go with it. It'll pay for itself in the savings for the cheaper non-fluxcore wire, plus the welds look a lot nicer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread