Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Trappers association's #6366347
11/06/18 05:18 AM
11/06/18 05:18 AM
Washington
M
Mkglasen Offline OP
trapper
Mkglasen  Offline OP
trapper
M

Washington
Are people from your states trappers association's really willing to help you? I would think they would want to keep their knowledge to themselves?

Re: Trappers association's [Re: Mkglasen] #6366380
11/06/18 07:28 AM
11/06/18 07:28 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
I think that most ATA members are smart enough that they realize the future of trapping depends in large part on bringing new trappers into the activity. Toward that end, helping them to be successful seems like a good strategy.

In fact, trapper education is a big part of why the ATA exists. It is in our mission statement and by-laws.

Pete

Re: Trappers association's [Re: Pete in Frbks] #6366548
11/06/18 10:36 AM
11/06/18 10:36 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Online content
trapper
RdFx  Online Content
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Wisc Trappers Association has a strong trappers ed program, hands on and online. Online participants have to attend a hands on class and show proficiency in traps and procedures as what happens with regular hands on classes. Teaching the proper ways and rules eliminates possible bad press incidents of uneducated trappers.

RdFx
Re: Trappers association's [Re: Mkglasen] #6366557
11/06/18 10:43 AM
11/06/18 10:43 AM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline
trapper
TheBig1  Offline
trapper

Kingston, PA
Our association is willing to help in the form of local trapping schools, etc... But as far as a ride along or perhaps stopping by your property to talk about and look at the lay of the land to teach someone about the location do's and don'ts, now that's another thing. One thing that I always heard was that if you wanted to learn that you should contact your local association to get a mentor. I haven't found that to be very true. I've hinted, I've even asked but to no avail.

You hear a lot about how you have to read, watch videos, etc... etc... etc..., but the most important part is field experience. I understand that but in today's world of forums, videos, and books it's leaving me no other option other than doing everything myself with no understanding most of the time. My biggest hang up, as I understand, is location. I go to a farm and think that there are over 100 good spots to place a trap when in reality a seasoned trapper could come and explain to me why there's really only 10 good places to put a trap.

I'm not trying to have all of the work taken away and have it made easy, I just need to get that first bit of understanding under my belt on a location that I am familiar with, to which I can then apply to other locations.

Last edited by TheBig1; 11/06/18 10:47 AM.

You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. Mountain's got its own ways.
Re: Trappers association's [Re: Mkglasen] #6366570
11/06/18 10:55 AM
11/06/18 10:55 AM
caldwell id
C
caldwellite Offline
trapper
caldwellite  Offline
trapper
C

caldwell id
The ATA was a major help when Idaho started Wolf trapping. The trapping associations in Idaho are great.

Re: Trappers association's [Re: TheBig1] #6366571
11/06/18 10:56 AM
11/06/18 10:56 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Here we have local trappers councils.I belong to 3 in our area.The councils put on skinning workshops,trap boils,and actual field trips on different trappers traplines to demonstrate different sets,and techniques that work for different trappers for all different furbearers.These activities are also open to the public to attend if they want to know what trapping is all about.We get quite a few locals that come out to the skinning workshops and trapping field trips.
The councils have regular meetings and work closely with the MNR on any issues of concern.We also invite the CO's and their families on our field trips to the traplines to help them know what trappers actually do out on the trapline.The winter field trips for under ice beaver trapping are the most popular,except if it falls on a day when the temps and wind make it very cold.

Last edited by Boco; 11/06/18 11:02 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman