Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Coyotes and spooking from cables? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #6390720
12/05/18 10:28 AM
12/05/18 10:28 AM
Alberta
H
H380 Offline
trapper
H380  Offline
trapper
H

Alberta
Originally Posted by wisconsinteacher
I have a question. When setting cable restraints, I try to blend them as best as I possibly can but it is not always easy. At times, you can see in the snow where a coyote walked the trail and stopped when he got to the set. My question is, did the coyote see or smell the cable? I'm guessing they spook more from seeing the cable than from smelling it. (I paint my cables in the summer and let them hang outside until I set them.)

Ive had the same thing happen , we likely all have . Snow just makes it easier to read the sign. Im thinking its a little of both but smell is likely the killer . As was said they see wire all the time , everytime they cross under a fence ...might still be a touch of human scent there . I paint mine too and the air out before storing in sealable gallon cans with leaves and sage from the snaring are . Take the lid off and the sage scent is quite strong

Re: Coyotes and spooking from cables? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #6393490
12/08/18 07:17 PM
12/08/18 07:17 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Here we have human foot traffic often enough I don't think it bothers the coyote if you walk on trail, sometimes in snow I come it from side to hide tracks.
What Boone says, Brite nights see more refusals, the snare is always partially blended with 2-3 stalks of grass, unless the grass is already over hanging the trail.
I sometimes set wide open trails in shorter grass, put in a weed or two to block other openings, and a thin weed to hide support wire,
Never fails, dark night comes along and these open trail set connect, had one this year, big male

Re: Coyotes and spooking from cables? [Re: Tactical.20] #6393977
12/09/18 01:24 PM
12/09/18 01:24 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Rob has it right.
Walk through your sets.Do Not walk around,or make set and turn around and go back.

Newt,
What about snare sets going to bait piles in snow? Just curious.
Mac

Re: Coyotes and spooking from cables? [Re: Boone Liane] #6394350
12/09/18 09:13 PM
12/09/18 09:13 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
They see em.

I see far more refusals after we get some snow, and especially during the full moon on clear nights.

Open country I think the wind gets em bouncing some too and makes em easier to spot.

They don’t know what it is, but they don’t need to. They see something there and they avoid it.

I try to not ever walk down my trails if at all possible. Sneak in from the side. If I have to move in the trail, go through the set and keep going at least 20-30 yards.

This! I try to set my snares in the trail where there is a slight bend in the trail. The snare is not silhouetted against the trail then!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91