No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Deer hunters and trapping? #6374944
11/16/18 10:01 AM
11/16/18 10:01 AM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline OP
trapper
Ave  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio, USA
Hey guys, gun season will be starting here soon, and I know just how hard it can be to trap with hunters in the field. Besides the obvious, how does this effect your season? I’ve heard that it slows k9 movement due to the availability food. Around here, most hunters drive woods and brush, and I know the coyotes are constantly on the run and being shot at. What do you think? Do you notice a difference? Thanks

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Deer hunters and trapping? [Re: Ave] #6374960
11/16/18 10:16 AM
11/16/18 10:16 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I check my open areas early in the AM to avoid busting anyone's hunt and some places I won't set until after the opener. I try to check my better deer spots more around midday hours. We have a rolling river break pasture that's a mile square so I set the edge at the start of it rather then going deeper into it, them yotes are traveling so working the edge works for me and the deer hunters at the same time.

In some places I set the edge of the lake with the scrub cover and avoid the tree belts to help avoid conflicts, checking on Friday (2 day check) and then not until later on Sunday opening weekend avoids a lot of friction and gives the hunters a prime time undisturbed shot at their deer.

I have a 2 day check commitment so I'm going to get them checked the best way possible no matter what, one thing here a trapper is more welcome than a deer hunter often not like it's a lease deal out here if it was I'd contact the lease guy and ask for his input but that's not a problem here.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Deer hunters and trapping? [Re: Ave] #6375171
11/16/18 03:01 PM
11/16/18 03:01 PM
wantage n.j.
E
eric space Offline
trapper
eric space  Offline
trapper
E

wantage n.j.
Here I never trap during our buck season (first full week in December). Buckshot is not kind to snared coon, fox and coyotes when administered at the range of 10 feet.

Re: Deer hunters and trapping? [Re: eric space] #6375185
11/16/18 03:24 PM
11/16/18 03:24 PM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline OP
trapper
Ave  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by eric space
Here I never trap during our buck season (first full week in December). Buckshot is not kind to snared coon, fox and coyotes when administered at the range of 10 feet.

Tell me about it! Somebody last year had the bright idea to use their 12 gauge slug gun on a red fox I caught. As you can imagine, it wasn’t even worth skinning out.

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Deer hunters and trapping? [Re: Ave] #6375227
11/16/18 04:16 PM
11/16/18 04:16 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
I don't live trap stuff, and generally most deer hunters aren't thinking trapping where I am. Most don't even know my sets are there. Cant recall losing a trap and certainly not a critter, although had a few guys tell me when I caught something though over the years.

Re: Deer hunters and trapping? [Re: Ave] #6375674
11/17/18 08:06 AM
11/17/18 08:06 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
I pull all my set during hunting season an I trap mainly all private property lots of hunter think there helping my killing animals in trap

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread