Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Hock glands? #6378259
11/20/18 07:40 PM
11/20/18 07:40 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I'm doing some experimenting with hock glands and was wanting to know if its ok to leave the fat that surrounds the gland on? I'm going to partially freeze the fresh glands then grind them into a paste and add a few drops skunk, castor, urine and a little glycerin. Amounts will vary with the number of coyotes caught. Any insight would be appreciated.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Hock glands? [Re: wormbobskey] #6378674
11/21/18 11:11 AM
11/21/18 11:11 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I don't think it should matter much.

I think there was a discussion a while back as to whether the hock glands were actually scent producing glands or simply lymph nodes.

Re: Hock glands? [Re: wormbobskey] #6378678
11/21/18 11:14 AM
11/21/18 11:14 AM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
You might think about adding some gall to your fatty hock glands. Otherwise, the fat isn't going to do anything except render down when the weather turns warm. Gall in your lure does the same as it does in the body -- it breaks down fats.

Re: Hock glands? [Re: Lazarus] #6379102
11/21/18 10:10 PM
11/21/18 10:10 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I was asking about leaving the fat attached in as much as did it impart any type of essence of the hock gland being as it was attached to and surrounded the hock gland. If its not helping by adding to the lures attractiveness then I will thoroughly clean all the glands as I remove them from the coyotes. Or are you saying that the hock gland itself would benefit from the gall to help break it down? Naturally because these glands are so small it will take quite a few to collect enough to make an ounce or so, but we off to a good start and still have a good deal of our season to go before we call it quits.
Sniper, is there a test I might put to my dogs to see if they would react to this gland, one way or the other? Exactly how would we characterizer the hock gland? Is it an individuals certain scent along with urine or scat or is it more intricate than that? Maybe part sexual or part or the mating game? I'm just spit balling here so help me out if you have any ideas.

Last edited by wormbobskey; 11/21/18 10:18 PM.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Hock glands? [Re: wormbobskey] #6379446
11/22/18 09:56 AM
11/22/18 09:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
imo the fat does more for your gland lure than the pituitary gland

what Lazarus said

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Hock glands? [Re: wormbobskey] #6379784
11/22/18 07:54 PM
11/22/18 07:54 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by wormbobskey
I was asking about leaving the fat attached in as much as did it impart any type of essence of the hock gland being as it was attached to and surrounded the hock gland. If its not helping by adding to the lures attractiveness then I will thoroughly clean all the glands as I remove them from the coyotes. Or are you saying that the hock gland itself would benefit from the gall to help break it down? Naturally because these glands are so small it will take quite a few to collect enough to make an ounce or so, but we off to a good start and still have a good deal of our season to go before we call it quits.
Sniper, is there a test I might put to my dogs to see if they would react to this gland, one way or the other? Exactly how would we characterizer the hock gland? Is it an individuals certain scent along with urine or scat or is it more intricate than that? Maybe part sexual or part or the mating game? I'm just spit balling here so help me out if you have any ideas.

My thinking is that it is simply a part of the immune system(lymph node). Its not like the tarsal gland on a deer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91