Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6399687
12/15/18 05:42 PM
12/15/18 05:42 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
I go our of my way to insist people DON'T leave too much pipe out of the ground.....not for the guys that leaves 2-3 inches out like EB does above....but rather, because I see people leave 6-10 inches or more out of the ground. Some of the videos on YouTube show the "Pipe Dream" set made that way......not the way I wrote about it or made it, but heck, if it works, so be it.

I get a zillion questions on email/PM/demos etc. about guys having issues......and MANY times, I think, they are leaving too much out of the ground and/or NOT burying pipe in a grass tuft or cover or whatever......

Again, if they ask me "what am I doing wrong?" and I see pics like that, I point out that I DON'T do it that way. If you leave a lot out and it works, then you are doing it right!

Guys that haven't had much success that have only put out 2-3-4 of them haven't given them the college try...............not a big enough sample to say it doesn't work "in their area".

MZ

Eastern Coyotes.......Western Numbers.

Check out Coyote U!

YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/JGwORfXpwOo

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6399707
12/15/18 06:23 PM
12/15/18 06:23 PM
NC
W
wrh1971 Offline
trapper
wrh1971  Offline
trapper
W

NC
Good to know. Just wondering Zag - have you ever tried a double pipe set? Sort of like a double dirt hole but with the conduit with different baits/lures? Just curious

w

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: wrh1971] #6399811
12/15/18 08:24 PM
12/15/18 08:24 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline OP
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline OP
trapper
S

MN
Essentially, this is a flat set with an improvement in how to hold bait and lure. I will use it

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6399862
12/15/18 09:14 PM
12/15/18 09:14 PM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline
trapper
TheBig1  Offline
trapper

Kingston, PA
Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
Essentially, this is a flat set with an improvement in how to hold bait and lure. I will use it

Skye, don’t forget what Mark said, this set is MORE than just the bait/lure method. It’s more about the freeze proof/freeze resistant bedding method with a higher profile bait/lure holder/dispenser.

It’s the bedding method which brought me to be interested in this type of set.

You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. Mountain's got its own ways.
Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6399872
12/15/18 09:20 PM
12/15/18 09:20 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Hey Zag, coyote trapping for 3 years now. With the void under the trap and no support there does the trap wiggle at all? Used to bedding them up tight and packing in the jaws. Thanks

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6399883
12/15/18 09:30 PM
12/15/18 09:30 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Just started trapping this summer and after scouring this site and You Tube, I tried these sets...they work! Unfortunately they would have probably worked better had I left less pipe exposed. But it was cool to see some pipes pulled and chewed and 2 were basically chewed off at ground level. I trap in different types of soil where some could be pulled and some I had to dig out. Will be going with these about 80% this year. This has been our wettest year ever since I can remember. We are getting 1-3” a week...the Pipe Dream is about the only set that doesn’t get washed out.

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6399904
12/15/18 10:00 PM
12/15/18 10:00 PM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pipe dream has been working well . Two fox and a coyote from the same set (didn't have phone for one of the fox) .

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6399914
12/15/18 10:08 PM
12/15/18 10:08 PM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I should have added a clean set to the outside of the catch circle on the coyote remake

Last edited by VH60; 12/15/18 10:09 PM.
Re: Pipe Dream [Re: TheBig1] #6399919
12/15/18 10:12 PM
12/15/18 10:12 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline OP
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline OP
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by TheBig1

Skye, don’t forget what Mark said, this set is MORE than just the bait/lure method. It’s more about the freeze proof/freeze resistant bedding method with a higher profile bait/lure holder/dispenser.

It’s the bedding method which brought me to be interested in this type of set.

Understood. Not sure how I feel about the trap coverage. I always dig a narrow, deeper trap bed to bury the trap chain/MBcrunch and stabilize the trap. We are not as wet as Zagman's area appears to be. I like the idea of bait/lure being contained above ground where it might be quickly detected; given i am not in a high coyote population area. I like it over all and just happen to have at least twenty-five feet of the right size pipe already. When I cut to length, I think I will cut at an angle to produce a point and make putting them in the ground easier

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6399957
12/15/18 10:36 PM
12/15/18 10:36 PM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Skye, just pound in your driver and wiggle it around to make a pilot hole and then drive the pipe into the hole if you are having trouble pounding them in. That’s what I do for the bamboo because when the ground freezes, it will split on me if I don’t.

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: Bear Tracker] #6399971
12/15/18 10:49 PM
12/15/18 10:49 PM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
I also do not remake my sets inside the catch circle here. We don’t have many fox, and my experience here with coyote remakes is the same as the picture above so I remake my sets on the outside of the catch circle and use the same trap I made the catch in.

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Hey Zag, coyote trapping for 3 years now. With the void under the trap and no support there does the trap wiggle at all? Used to bedding them up tight and packing in the jaws. Thanks

If you cut your trap bed right, even with the void underneath, you can stand on the trap and it won’t wobble. You want to cut it just a little too small for the jaws to fit in, and then pound out a spot for the levers to rest on with your hammer. Tap the sides of the trap bed with your hammer until you can force your dog side of your trap into the bed. Then, you can tap your loose jaw in with your hammer. I wish everybody could’ve seen Jim Cundiff bed that trap in Carmen Stadium and they would realize how rough you can actually be with a trap when you’re bedding it.

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: Dfabs] #6400011
12/15/18 11:17 PM
12/15/18 11:17 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline OP
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline OP
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by Dfabs
Skye, just pound in your driver and wiggle it around to make a pilot hole and then drive the pipe into the hole if you are having trouble pounding them in. That’s what I do for the bamboo because when the ground freezes, it will split on me if I don’t.

Good idea! Thanks

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: wrh1971] #6400239
12/16/18 09:29 AM
12/16/18 09:29 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by wrh1971
Good to know. Just wondering Zag - have you ever tried a double pipe set? Sort of like a double dirt hole but with the conduit with different baits/lures? Just curious

w

I have but see no advantage in it........again, a couple sets, sure why not. But with 100 or more I'd rather use that second pipe down the road, same as traps.

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6400261
12/16/18 09:48 AM
12/16/18 09:48 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State

Skye...you really need to read the articles........sure, if you need to categorize a set and put it in a bucket......put it in flat sets! One student told me its an "above ground" dirt hole. The pipe is just ONE component......the grass covering, steel screen, super-deep bed, hammer bedding method........THAT is what makes it a Pipe Dream, a set that gives us ALL a chance in the crappy weather most of us fight annually.

If you read everything, you will see that I made ALL sets this way pre-pipe (except hole sets) whether grass tuft/post set, T-Bone, Bamboo, Grab and Die, etc. In other words, the deep bed, screen, hammer method, grass covering.......the PIPE was the final change to the set that I think made it a complete approach OR a large part of a possible approach!

About the dirthole......guys ask "Why not make the dirt hole the same way" meaning the bedding method. Makes sense in theory, but to ME, why dig a hole and put your stink BELOW ground unprotected when you can simply pound a pipe in (again, the bulk of it being underground!) and have your stink above ground BUT in a protected vessel. If you put lure in a dirthole and get 4 inches of rain, you probably re-lure thinking the stink has washed away/or been watered down. With the pipe, your stink stays protected, and even after 4-inches of rain, I guarantee you that a quick sniff will prove to you that its still working for you. As trappers, we don't give the canids enough credit for their noses. We've all returned to sets in the spring and seen holes still being dug at.....leave a pipe in all year and see what happens to it!

Every year, more people are trying this and having success. I know some VERY good trappers that have honestly switching 100% to it.....sold their drills and augers! Not saying to do that, but once you make them AND MAINTAIN them compared to other sets AND see success that others have seen......you MAY start laying more pipe than you expected!

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe Dream [Re: wr otis] #6400299
12/16/18 10:33 AM
12/16/18 10:33 AM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline OP
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline OP
trapper
S

MN
Zagnan: I am sold on the concept. Putting it in a category was just my way of understanding it in the overall picture. I really like the idea of the bait/lure being above ground where scent dispersal should be greater. The bedding method is similar to what I do now so The the exception of the use of grass clippings. I have been collecting and storing grass clippings for sometims, so am ahead there. I recently read your article in IT magazine as well as listening to your interview on Trapping Radio. I appreciate your sharing the information as we learn from each other.

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: wr otis] #6400318
12/16/18 11:03 AM
12/16/18 11:03 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by wr otis
Jim Cundiff's power bedding book is well worth the money, and it's cheap to start with. Video was very good also, but I don't think it is still for sale.
Jim's method was designed for two things, for very stable traps in almost any conditions and for traps that remain functional in almost any conditions. When Jim started his system his coyote numbers were not high and sets needed to be able to sit and wait, sometimes for long periods of time. Which does a couple of interesting things for a trapper.

These threads are interesting, but I imagine frustrating for Mark. He tell's you in detail, how to do it, why to do it, what to do it with. And how many coyotes he catches doing it. And guys either don't understand what he wrote, or miss the true best points of the method. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Was happy to meet Jim this year at Don Powell's Minkfest......AND I got to see him bed a trap. Pretty cool.....it seems he no longer uses the wooden pegs as shown in his book. He showed how he does it now and when you see it, it's like DUH!

Their is one main difference that I think is noteworthy about our hammer bedding methods: I pound all around the trap, pinching it in place, but dirt is ONLY touching the outside of the jaws. NO dirt is touching INSIDE of jaws.

With Jim's method, he hammers out his bed and then puts puts the loose jaw on top of dirt and POUNDS loose jaw into the dirt, really locking it in place by having dirt on BOTH sides of the loose jaw. ROCK SOLID.

Guys always ask me about freezing ground and how it would affect my set. I am convinced since NO dirt on top of jaws, even if outside jaws are touched by frozen dirt, when trap triggers the jaws are ALWAYS going inward and AWAY from frozen dirt. I just haven't seen where if PAN can go down, jaws don't come up. NOW....if we have two inches of ice or several inches of snow, trap probably wont go off in first place!

As I look at both methods (Jim's and mine) I DO think mine might have a little better chance in frozen ground than his, with dirt on only one side vs both. BUT, to his credit, the "power" jaw only is pinched with dirt on OUTSIDE so maybe it still works just as good.

Probably can't go wrong either way..............

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe Dream [Re: wr otis] #6400324
12/16/18 11:11 AM
12/16/18 11:11 AM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Originally Posted by wr otis
Jim Cundiff's power bedding book is well worth the money, and it's cheap to start with. Video was very good also, but I don't think it is still for sale.
Jim's method was designed for two things, for very stable traps in almost any conditions and for traps that remain functional in almost any conditions. When Jim started his system his coyote numbers were not high and sets needed to be able to sit and wait, sometimes for long periods of time. Which does a couple of interesting things for a trapper.

These threads are interesting, but I imagine frustrating for Mark. He tell's you in detail, how to do it, why to do it, what to do it with. And how many coyotes he catches doing it. And guys either don't understand what he wrote, or miss the true best points of the method. Don't reinvent the wheel.

FWIW, Jim no longer power beds his traps with nails. He cuts a small trap bed with a void under it and forces his trap into the bed and pounds his loose jaw in with a hammer. His bedding method is just like the pipe dream bedding method only I think he still covers with dirt instead of grass. It is very easy using this method. Set the trap, put your hand under the pan so it cannot go off and force the trap into a small trap bed. It will be rock solid every time, and you can stand on it if you want to and it will not wobble. This is the method Jim did his demo on in Carmen Stadium.

Re: Pipe Dream [Re: SkyeDancer] #6400433
12/16/18 01:09 PM
12/16/18 01:09 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Coon from this morning at bamboo pipe. Lone fence row WAY away fro. Cover...amazing how far they roam around here.
Pipes work.
Jim [Linked Image]

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91