No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Handheld radios #6401366
12/17/18 12:53 PM
12/17/18 12:53 PM
VA
coolbrze Offline OP
trapper
coolbrze  Offline OP
trapper

VA
What kind / model handheld radios do y'all recommend? Looking to talk in semi-mountainous terrain but have no idea where to begin w/ radios...

Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6401409
12/17/18 02:15 PM
12/17/18 02:15 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley

Baofeng UV82HP

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-82HP-High-Power-Radio/dp/B00Z52HP10

Add this antenna:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KC4PWQQ/ref=sspa_mb_hqp_detail_mobile_aax_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get a programming cable:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Two-Way-Ra...Pl=1&dpID=41nTJ5de8uL&ref=plSrch

Download this free software:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Talk to anybody you want. Just need to decide what frequency you want to use.
You can use GMRS, FRS, MURS or whatever.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: CoonsBane] #6402024
12/18/18 09:28 AM
12/18/18 09:28 AM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Good information.

Talk to anybody you want. Just need to decide what frequency you want to use.
You can use GMRS, FRS, MURS or whatever.
Yes, one CAN use these frequencies, but the radio may not be "Type Accepted" by the FCC for that service. FRS rules, for example, state a maximum power level and a non-removable antenna. GMRS requires licensing. Of the services listed, you are probably safest/closest to being in compliance on MURS.

While you probably would not be bothered by anyone as long as you stay away from critical frequencies (public service freqs like police/fire/EMS/marine/etc), you may still find yourself operating in violation of the law. If you use the police/fire/EMS frequencies and interfere with operations, they WILL hunt you down and prosecute you.

OP, this site is an excellent place to start and they are "Newbie Friendly" in that they will help you regardless of your skill level or understanding. There are frequently questions just like yours, and there are several "sticky" threads that explain what I said above and much more.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Ham_Radios/22/

Last edited by E.Shell; 12/18/18 09:29 AM.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6402081
12/18/18 11:05 AM
12/18/18 11:05 AM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
If you take my recommendation, you will be violating FCC rules.

However, go to this site:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

Use this database to see what frequencies are licensed in the area you are going to be using the radio and avoid those channels.

As long as you stick to the GMRS, FRS or MURS frequencies, no one is going to bother you about it. You will be in violation of FCC rules because the radio is transmitting at a higher wattage than allowed but who really cares. If you use some common sense there won't be a problem. If you hear someone else using the frequency you are using, choose a different one. In my opinion, if your not causing a problem, it's no big deal.

I will add the following disclaimer:

*****WARNING:. The preceeding advice is a violation of Federal Law. Whatever you do, do not follow this advice so that you can effectively communicate in the wilderness. Please follow all archaic government guidelines and use crappy radios that don't work unless you are close enough to see the whites of the other person's eyes.*******

Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6402100
12/18/18 11:38 AM
12/18/18 11:38 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
So this is a programmable radio that I can set to whatever frequency I want and it gets good range? Like what kinda range? I see its 7 watts so it must get out there pretty good.

So I could set it up to be a regular CB channel and it would be a super dooper hand held CB at 7 watts? Does it have an earphone jack?

Whats that 8 watt version?

Re: Handheld radios [Re: CoonsBane] #6402120
12/18/18 12:07 PM
12/18/18 12:07 PM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by CoonsBane
If you take my recommendation, you will be violating FCC rules.

However, go to this site:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

Use this database to see what frequencies are licensed in the area you are going to be using the radio and avoid those channels.

As long as you stick to the GMRS, FRS or MURS frequencies, no one is going to bother you about it. You will be in violation of FCC rules because the radio is transmitting at a higher wattage than allowed but who really cares. If you use some common sense there won't be a problem. If you hear someone else using the frequency you are using, choose a different one. In my opinion, if your not causing a problem, it's no big deal.

I will add the following disclaimer:

*****WARNING:. The preceeding advice is a violation of Federal Law. Whatever you do, do not follow this advice so that you can effectively communicate in the wilderness. Please follow all archaic government guidelines and use crappy radios that don't work unless you are close enough to see the whites of the other person's eyes.*******

Everything you say here is true, especially the parts about being in violation.

There are provisions in the law for emergency communication on unauthorized frequencies, but it would need to be a genuine, documented emergency to escape prosecution, not just "Mom, where are my socks?"

That said, the FCC hasn't been especially zealous in their enforcement in most areas. They DO, however, take the public service frequencies seriously.

One thing that no one seems to realize is that you can often be heard further than you can hear. It is possible to have VHF commo over hundreds of miles during periods of good propagation and/or ducting.

Using MURS, GMRS or FRS would not put you into full compliance, but would eliminate the possibility of interfering with emergency traffic you might believe is too far away to affect.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: E.Shell] #6402126
12/18/18 12:14 PM
12/18/18 12:14 PM
MD
F
Fast Joe Offline
trapper
Fast Joe  Offline
trapper
F

MD
What kind of realistic range could you expect with this set up lets say in mountainous areas? The over the counter handhelds barely give us a mile at times.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: OhioBoy] #6402129
12/18/18 12:16 PM
12/18/18 12:16 PM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by OhioBoy
So this is a programmable radio that I can set to whatever frequency I want and it gets good range? Like what kinda range? I see its 7 watts so it must get out there pretty good.

So I could set it up to be a regular CB channel and it would be a super dooper hand held CB at 7 watts? Does it have an earphone jack?

Whats that 8 watt version?
Your antenna is going to be your limiting factor. Optimum antenna size is directly related to the frequency/wavelength of the transmitter and while you may be able to tune a multitude of frequencies, you will not radiate the full power of your unit at every point unless you have the correct antenna length.

If you have the short "rubber duck" style antenna on your radio, you will get best performance in the higher frequency ranges (VHF/UHF in areas like 100 mHz to 400 mHz), but down where the CB lives (27 mHz) the antenna must be MUCH longer to provide proper operation.

There are internal limitations as well. Transmitter circuits are tailored to certain frequencies and while the radio might program up to 900 mHz or down to 2 mHz, your output power will not be 7-8 watts as it might be nearer to its design frequency. I have several ham band radios similar to those under discussion here that will "open up" and work at other frequencies, but the performance is dismal in most non-design areas.

If you wanted to use the Chicom handhelds at CB frequencies, you'd probably need to replace the antenna. Think about the size of the CB antennas you'd seen on CB walkie-talkies and on vehicles vs the size of antennas you see on police handhelds and municipal patrol cars.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: Fast Joe] #6402146
12/18/18 12:43 PM
12/18/18 12:43 PM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by Fast Joe
What kind of realistic range could you expect with this set up lets say in mountainous areas? The over the counter handhelds barely give us a mile at times.
The over-the-counter handhelds ("HTs") are almost certainly FRS/GMRS "toy" radios and will have extremely limited range by design. The radios mentioned above will definitely perform better, but still may not provide uninterrupted commo.

A ham or professional grade HT will have much better range, but you will be limited by terrain, sometimes so badly that you cannot stand in a gulley and reach you buddy 300 yards away, but over in the other gulley.

It works like this:

Higher frequencies are better suited to handheld use due to having smaller antennas. Many public services use 100 to 130 mHz, for example, and the ham bands in that area are 2 meters (144-147 mHz), 1.25 meters (220-222 mHz) and 70 centimeter (440-444 mHz). Very few handheld radios operate at much lower frequencies because, like that old CB handheld you remember with the 3' long antenna, the antenna required for lower frequencies would be cumbersome and easily broken.

Part of the problem is that higher frequencies are more line-of-sight. Line-of-sight- propagation is similar to a flashlight which creates good light in the beam, but throws strong shadows behind obstructions. Another part of the problem is that high frequencies do not reflect off the atmospheric layers very well. Not reflecting well limits range and most VHF/UHF signal radiated upward will be lost. Lower frequencies, such as CB, will reflect off the atmosphere better and work better around obstructions like ridges. Sometimes, more power doesn't help at all if the receiving radio is in the shadow of a ridge to you. There are anomalies in propagation, such as reflection and refraction, and there is a condition called "knife edge refraction" that will sometimes allow a VHF signal to travel around a ridge, but it cannot be depended on.

The military and others who must truly depend on commo in broken terrain usually use a form of propagation called "NVIS" (near vertical incidence skywave), where they use relatively low frequencies, send the signal upward and just bounce them off the atmosphere so that the signal returns to earth on the other side of the obstacle. This is the antenna style you'll see that resembles a long CB whip, but it tied down so it is broadside to the sky. These lower frequencies, bounced off the sky, are much more dependable, but then, we are back to the big antenna thing.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6402194
12/18/18 01:32 PM
12/18/18 01:32 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I can only get a distance of 1 to 1.5 miles across flat ground with my Baofeng handheld transceivers (HT's). A better antenna helps tremendously. You can add a roll-up wire antenna to the radio and greatly improve its reach. Look into an Ed Fong roll-up J-pole antenna. It really makes a big difference. The thing is, you need to stop and hang up the antenna before using it. You don't just walk around the mountains with that antenna connected.

If you go the Baofeng HT route, better grab one quick. A bunch of HAM radio snobs have made a stink with the FCC about them being able to transmit on certain frequencies and the FCC has taken steps to ban their import. Too dang bad, too, because those cheap Chinese radios brought a lot more people into HAM radio which seems to be a dying hobby.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6402204
12/18/18 01:53 PM
12/18/18 01:53 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
Where I use the radio and antenna combination I mentioned, I can talk over about 4 miles of mountainous terrain.

We use the MURS frequencies.

I can be deep in a hollow and talk to someone at our cabin at the base of the mountain with at least 1200 feet of elevation between us.

HAM Radio guys always show up in discussions like this and throw temper tantrums about these radios. To each his own.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: CoonsBane] #6402856
12/19/18 09:00 AM
12/19/18 09:00 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
CoonsBane, what antennae do you have on your radios? Do you use exclusively the 8w models or do you use the 5w models? I have a Ngoya rubber duck on my UV-82 (5w) which is supposed to help but I still can't seem to get more than 1.5 miles on flat ground.

I recently used Chirp to reprogram my squelch settings. Maybe I need to give it a try again with the squelch turned down. I also use the FRS (UHF) frequencies. Maybe the VHF MURS frequencies would work better.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: Kart29] #6402857
12/19/18 09:05 AM
12/19/18 09:05 AM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by Kart29
I can only get a distance of 1 to 1.5 miles across flat ground with my Baofeng handheld transceivers (HT's).
This sounds about right.
A better antenna helps tremendously. You can add a roll-up wire antenna to the radio and greatly improve its reach. Look into an Ed Fong roll-up J-pole antenna. It really makes a big difference. The thing is, you need to stop and hang up the antenna before using it. You don't just walk around the mountains with that antenna connected.
This is what I was talking about above, the small 'rubber duck' antennas are not very efficient.
If you go the Baofeng HT route, better grab one quick. A bunch of HAM radio snobs have made a stink with the FCC about them being able to transmit on certain frequencies and the FCC has taken steps to ban their import. Too dang bad, too, because those cheap Chinese radios brought a lot more people into HAM radio which seems to be a dying hobby.
I'm not sure any ham radio people complained, and many hams are sorry to see the cheap HTs go.

Ham radio operators were never affected by their wide frequency range, because they can use the radio legally due to being required to know where it is OK to transmit. The real problem was that they were never really "type accepted" for the frequencies they were capable of. People were disrupting public service frequencies with them.

I will say that there has been a noticeable increase in licensed repeater abuse by unknown persons since the cheaper radios became commonly available. Once the radios are modified by the manufacturer to be type accepted, they will still sell cheap and still cover ham frequencies and that problem will still exist, so suggesting that hams were the driving force in the FCC's decision is not really on target.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6402875
12/19/18 09:36 AM
12/19/18 09:36 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
If you have a removable antenna you can get a long wire antenna and run it up a tree which will greatly increase range. Light line with a weight to toss up and then pull up antenna.

Edit: I see that else someone mentioned this already.

Last edited by Marty; 12/19/18 09:39 AM.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Handheld radios [Re: CoonsBane] #6402882
12/19/18 09:43 AM
12/19/18 09:43 AM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by CoonsBane
Where I use the radio and antenna combination I mentioned, I can talk over about 4 miles of mountainous terrain.

We use the MURS frequencies.

I can be deep in a hollow and talk to someone at our cabin at the base of the mountain with at least 1200 feet of elevation between us.
This is exceptional performance and likely not to be expected everywhere. I suspect you are enjoying the knife-edge refraction I had mentioned above.
HAM Radio guys always show up in discussions like this and throw temper tantrums about these radios. To each his own.
I'm not seeing evidence of any tantrums, only logical and civil discourse.

Everything I had written above has been intended to be helpful, including trying to help the OP stay out of trouble with the feds.

Your comments are surprising, in that after suggesting violation of the law, you revert to veiled insults that seem to suggest the law is unimportant and that I am just throwing a tantrum because I am pointing out the illegal aspects of the various suggestions.

In fact, the way I understand forum rules here, one is not allowed to suggest illegal behaviour (of ANY type), yet several here have done so.

The FCC has the power to fine operators without due process. You can find yourself with a violation notice and fines approaching $10,000.00 without going to court. Oddly, the way this works is that once the FCC makes that determination, you are immediately liable for the fine and would have to go to federal court to prove you're not.

Without understanding the nature of radio transmissions, it is impossible to gauge the impact one might have when transmitting willy-nilly. There are many radios services across the RF spectrum that can be disrupted, including life saving communications. Just because you cannot hear them does not mean they cannot hear you, nor does it mean that your signal does not create interference to some vital service.

You could compare this to shooting into the sky with no backstop, in that you have launched a bullet with no idea of the consequences. Sure, chances are no one will ever be hit...

I'd bet that if I suggested that we take game out of season, exceed bag limits, hunt deer with spotlights or something like that, we would REALLY see some tantrums. We'd hear about wildlife biology principles, animal reproduction cycles, possible penalties, how shooting trophy deer at night is despicable and deprives other hunters of fair chase opportunity, etc., etc., etc.. But somehow this sort of violation is OK?

Yes, I am an amateur radio operator, a 'ham' (not an acronym, so capitalization is not required). I also hold several commercial radio licenses and a radar certificate, but all that means is that I have taken the effort to educate myself in an interesting hobby. With this education comes awareness. When I suggest that using random frequencies and/or excessive power for that particular radio service could create both legal and practical issues, somehow that's a tantrum...OK.

Sure, the chances of being caught and prosecuted are usually slim, although it DOES happen. Does that aspect of your argument also affect your view of game laws, in that the less chance of getting caught, the more trapping/hunting/fishing laws we can violate?

The general definition of "ethics" is what one does when no one is watching...

Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6402918
12/19/18 10:28 AM
12/19/18 10:28 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
We use CBs and hand helds and get better range than you guys, probably b/c its flat I guess. The radios are tuned up without amps.

There is a radio shop at Exit 99 in Ohio on I-75 than can make any CB talk better if you need help.

Truck to Truck 5 miles is no problem. 10 miles is no problem for guys that take care of their stuff and know whats up. 20+ miles isn't out of the ordinary but is day to day not the easiest communication.

Truck to Hand held is easy 5 miles.

Hand Held to truck I'd say is 2.5 miles.

Hand held to hand held I'd say is less than 2 miles and thats struggling with some guys and the setup they have. Two nerds like me using hand helds I'd say 3 miles.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6402944
12/19/18 11:24 AM
12/19/18 11:24 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
So these Baofeng radios are much better than the dual cheap sets you buy at RadioShack? Some of you mention you can interfere with emergency freqs. How easy is it for a non-tech guy to safely learn to use one just for two way talking? Mostly be used in mountainous terrain.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Handheld radios [Re: coolbrze] #6402946
12/19/18 11:27 AM
12/19/18 11:27 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline
trapper

MN
If you were able to find your way here on the internet with help, you can pass the amatuer radio operator test. I know a ten year old that has the basic license and he isn't that brilliant.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: Scout1] #6402957
12/19/18 11:37 AM
12/19/18 11:37 AM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by Scout1
So these Baofeng radios are much better than the dual cheap sets you buy at RadioShack?
Yes, because they provide more power and have better, and replaceable, antennas.
There are known durability/reliability issues with the Chicom radios, and some fail prematurely, but they are relatively cheap and that's another topic.
Some of you mention you can interfere with emergency freqs.
As long as you stick with MURS frequencies, or even FRS, you will not interfere. There are "band plans" in existence that segregate frequencies and the FRS/GMRS/MURS services do not overlap emergency services. Were one to randomly select a frequency, it could well interfere with legit users.
How easy is it for a non-tech guy to safely learn to use one just for two way talking? Mostly be used in mountainous terrain.
As suggested above, the MURS is probably the best bet for unlicensed use.

Regarding "how easy?" it depends on what you mean. See below.

Re: Handheld radios [Re: FlyinFinn] #6402972
12/19/18 11:54 AM
12/19/18 11:54 AM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by FlyinFinn
If you were able to find your way here on the internet with help, you can pass the amatuer radio operator test. I know a ten year old that has the basic license and he isn't that brilliant.
True.

There are three licensing levels, each providing additional privileges, such as increased access to other areas in the amateur bands. None are that terribly hard if you are mechanically/electrically inclined, and you'll hear old time hams complain about that too, LOL.

First level is "Technician" and as FlyinFlynn states above, it is very easy to pass. There are classes offered by local clubs and there are quite a few online study sites, most of which have practice tests. If you take the class, you get a better grip on theory, which is valuable if you plan to continue in a radio hobby. If you study for the test itself, you can get the license more easily and if you only want it to legally operate on the ham bands, this is probably the most efficient way. "Technician" privileges will cover just about anything one does on an HT, within the ham bands. Ham radios are usually pre-programmed to only transmit on the ham bands, but can listen almost everywhere.

Here is one such study site with practice exams: https://www.eham.net/exams/

Second level is "General" and this is a little harder due to needing to know a little more electronic/radio theory and remember a few more frequencies. Many people truly interested in radio will take the "Technician" and "General" tests together, because there is a large amount of overlap in material covered. General class provides more frequency coverage and will give most people plenty to work with. Many hams stop at the General level.

The third level is "Amateur Extra" and is a little harder than General, for the same reasons General is harder than Technician. This third level license provides full use of the ham bands and modes, but provide so little additional access over General, it's probably not worth studying for unless you plan to make radio a real hobby.

FlyinFlynn, we had a girl that used to check in to the nightly net on the Bluemont, VA repeater that was about 10 years old too. If you apply yourself and study on line, the tests aren't that bad, and you no longer need Morse code, which was my own Nemesis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread