Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Deer liver #6405036
12/21/18 01:37 PM
12/21/18 01:37 PM
Ohio
X
X-Amish Offline OP
trapper
X-Amish  Offline OP
trapper
X

Ohio
I have access to deer liver and have heard it can be used as a great bait for coyotes. Is it best to use it fresh/frozen, mixed with a bait solution, rotten down for awhile to make a liquid bait? I’m curious how everyone uses it on their line

Re: Deer liver [Re: X-Amish] #6405152
12/21/18 04:12 PM
12/21/18 04:12 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Liver can be used or prepared in all the ways you have mentioned and it will work nicely for each method.

Re: Deer liver [Re: Bob Jameson] #6405371
12/21/18 09:06 PM
12/21/18 09:06 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Liver can be used or prepared in all the ways you have mentioned and it will work nicely for each method.

yep, and its covered in Nick Wyshinski's books...….you DID ask for them for Christmas presents?...didn't you?

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Deer liver [Re: X-Amish] #6407100
12/23/18 06:58 PM
12/23/18 06:58 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I used deer liver almost exclusively for bait when I first started trapping coyote. A couple of observations I made along the way. First off it works great fresh and it works slightly tainted, it will work tainted but I think they dig it up just to roll in it. That being said rot it down to a liquid and I’ve seen it cause a rolling response, put it in a deep hole !

I’ve used it in big chunks ( 2 and 3 inches ) and small cubes ( 1/4 and 1/2 inch ) I like the bigger chunks better, just easier ! One year I ground it into a paste and loaded it into caulking tubes, thought it would be the next great THING ! Then it rained, and rained some more , sets quit working and I found the the color and the smell had left my fancy paste !

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91