No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: Law Dog] #6432341
01/18/19 09:16 AM
01/18/19 09:16 AM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Seen the sacks pulled out with forceps and a circular motion a few snips and the look like a rotten grape on the little pups.

This thread stinks since you guys hijacked the subject line again. laugh

w

Last edited by walleyed; 01/18/19 09:24 AM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6432344
01/18/19 09:18 AM
01/18/19 09:18 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
did you miss the proud anti Walleyed?? whistle

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: pcr2] #6432355
01/18/19 09:32 AM
01/18/19 09:32 AM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by pcr2
did you miss the proud anti Walleyed?? whistle

Nope,

Stop stirring the pot, pcr2 !! shocked

That one is a regular in touting his anti-trapper, anti-nonresident trapper opinions.

(Not you Law Dog)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, though.

Just once again proves my point.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 01/18/19 09:38 AM.

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6432402
01/18/19 10:25 AM
01/18/19 10:25 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Never figured what your point really was it seems you just make up a lot of things so your main goal is to just screw with the SD post mostly. LOL Once minute it's was me but now it's not so it's somebody else now! LOL What a piece of work.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: NonPCfed] #6432423
01/18/19 10:42 AM
01/18/19 10:42 AM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Heck you'er not only greedy you are lazy too?

I can't figure out if you're trying to be funny in an ironic way or if you're serious. 1300 miles round trip from here to the closest town or so in Michigan. Need a lot of cans to make up the nickel difference between MI and IA's can return, if it could even be done. I don't drink that much beer or pop to acquire the needed payload. But maybe you can run your Iowa cans to Michigan and see how it goes...
Guess.

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6432472
01/18/19 11:22 AM
01/18/19 11:22 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
It's sad that you think we would really care what you think and you can't figure out why the results are what they are I'm surprised they are not worse but you might get it there! LOL

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: Law Dog] #6432762
01/18/19 04:30 PM
01/18/19 04:30 PM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
I don't care what YOU think , I think this whole thing is funny. To keep on topic, this bounty system that is proposed is the dumbest thing since they passed the law limiting the NR trappers. How's that. I hope you can get 14 guys together to get it stopped before it becomes law. Because it is evident that once it becomes law there is very little you can do.

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6432890
01/18/19 06:49 PM
01/18/19 06:49 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Well that cleared up that guessing answer! LOL I has little to do with any need for it and few will want it I have not seen any of us say it was a good idea yet or even that we wanted it! I don't think the bounty is on the rats anyways so I guess I'm missing how the NR rules apply to the bounty thing really as it seems to ONLY apply to rats. I have yet to hear much about anything else but rats, rats and rats. I seemed to be the only one saying we have more then rats, rats, rats but that falls on deaf ears it always comes back to the rats.

The bounty thing comes up in many places and seldom gets off of the ground a lot is just politics.

Good to see them true colors coming out!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: Law Dog] #6432905
01/18/19 07:20 PM
01/18/19 07:20 PM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
Now what's that to mean "true colors coming out"?

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6432913
01/18/19 07:31 PM
01/18/19 07:31 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
Maybe its all about the rats cause thats all they can catch??

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: teepee2] #6432928
01/18/19 07:50 PM
01/18/19 07:50 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD

Originally Posted by teepee2
Now what's that to mean "true colors coming out"?

Your not here to help just looking for the chance to get in the same old digs and act like a child is all, unreal expectations (so how many laws can you change in your own State) I'd like to see that. I help people on here about every day who are you helping and I don't care where they are from I help anybody that has any self respect and shows respect for others.

Said it before I have no problem with the seasons being the same as ours never have had a problem and voiced my opinion when it happened and still do when I deal with the GFP people but that never sinks in it seems to a few of you. The people your screwing with, about every one feels the same and help others also on here and they do what they can. You guys can say your doing what you do "for trapping" but are you really helping anything but fueling a division of what you say your helping give mw a break.

Last edited by Law Dog; 01/18/19 07:51 PM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6432955
01/18/19 08:13 PM
01/18/19 08:13 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
What a post!!!!!!! Everybody has an opinion and has no qualms about stating it. Not relating to NR furharvesting but just to clear up a loose end or two. The aluminum cans have UPC codes telling where they are marketed and when checked they can only be redeemed for deposit in that state (we tried the Iowa deposit a long time ago here with cans from NE --- won't work). And the pet/wild skunks --- there is no known vaccination for immunizing skunks against rabies!!!!!!!! If you are familiar with that disease you know there are 3 tiers or levels of infection that wildlife/animals transmit. A lower tier species can only infect members of that tier,,, upper tier members are immune to that lower's form of virus. Birds are immune to all. Even rats are immune to almost all tiers. However us humans are on the lowest tier and skunks are on the highest tier so contact with them greatly increases a human's potential for contracting the rabies virus,,,,,,,,,, so be cautious around all forms (domesticated or wild) of animals. My neighbor had a calf (in the barn) contact a skunk (no bite, just an odor and we assumed nothing more) and a full 80 days later the calf died and was posted for death. Vet happened to take a rabies test on the calf and the neucropsy showed positive cause of death was rabies. Neighbor had to take the shots and was lucky from the health dept report. My point is if you all go to a bounty harvest date (year round) and start handling potential carriers, consider getting the prophylactic shot (vaccination). Standard health procedures should win out so you can trap another spring rat season!!!! the mike

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6432980
01/18/19 08:44 PM
01/18/19 08:44 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
The cans in the fridge don't even have that refund thing on them but ones a water and the other is a cheap Dr. Choice (Dr. Pepper) so I think the idea was maybe just hypothetical but I do remember a truck that full of cans that was going to do that and they got caught so it is illegal. LOL That was someplace around MI or IN and was several years ago.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6432983
01/18/19 08:47 PM
01/18/19 08:47 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Skunk shots are not backed by the maker and lack any define research they are a feel good thing mostly they give the feline type of shots along with the distemper shots you and will not get a tag from the Vet after getting the shots.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433079
01/18/19 10:20 PM
01/18/19 10:20 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
The aluminum cans have UPC codes telling where they are marketed and when checked they can only be redeemed for deposit in that state (we tried the Iowa deposit a long time ago here with cans from NE --- won't work).

Perhaps Cali government finally got it squared away as well but black market recycling was an issue more recently than this article. There were people on Scrap Metal Forum talking about guys buying cans and plastic bottles on the streets of Vegas for more than aluminum scrap was going for at the time (there really isn't a retail market for consumer recycled plastic bottles). The common belief was that the CRV (?) containers were being smuggled into Cali for redemption. Cali gov has banned more than a 100 lbs of al cans being turned in at one time. The smugglers got around that by having a legion of homeless peeps each turn in 100 lbs and getting a cut from the profit. I haven't heard much about it for a couple of years so perhaps things have changed. But Cali certainly WAS NOT a leader in getting your UPC codes on their beverage containers.

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2012/02/11/can-anything-stop-the-latest-wave-in-criminal-recycling/

My neighbor had a calf (in the barn) contact a skunk (no bite, just an odor and we assumed nothing more) and a full 80 days later the calf died and was posted for death.

There must have been virus transferred via saliva or blood contamination that the calf got somehow. Or perhaps extremely fresh aerosolized virus that the calf contacted. From what I understand, the rabies virus can live only a very short time outside of host animal's body.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433385
01/19/19 09:30 AM
01/19/19 09:30 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
You'er Right Law Dog-- " there is no known vaccination for immunizing skunks against rabies" so everyone needs to be careful. Rabies exhibits 2 forms of expression in mammals,,, active ( the frothing, aggressive behavior) and passive (calm, quiet almost "dumb" behavior). In Nature 90% is exhibited as passive form where individuals just crawl into a den or hole and die...... so odd behavior of an affected individual can not be counted on as a symptom. My mom tells the story of playing as a child when a stray dog wandered on their "alley" playground and exhibited the aggressive form (forming and growling). It was shot and tested positive. When I was at MSU ( a long time ago) one of the grad students doing work on the virus and I talked (he knew I trapped). His research in animal diseases was on rabies (specifically in skunks). He had skunk heads in the freezer for over 2 years that when thawed, tested positive for the live virus and it was surmised they could infect other animals if ingested or otherwise exposed. The hot and cold of season changes in the wild seemed to destroy its viability though. Perhaps the guys who do bat removal work can help if someone has further thoughts handling potential carriers. Interesting to note that coons east of the Mississippi are big time rabies carriers but west of the Mississippi are not. Significant difference in the testing/research. Some type of immunity must be why your SD coons are so big and healthy!!!

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433389
01/19/19 09:31 AM
01/19/19 09:31 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
man,great info-thanx

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433444
01/19/19 10:25 AM
01/19/19 10:25 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Years back we had a explosion of skunks catching 9 in the same cage trap was rather common and getting a 100 a years was no problem and getting another 75 from others was the norm. I talked to the State Vet and she predicted a crash in the near future then 2 years later they crashed along with the coon. The coon were dead all over the place and found around stock dams, old farm places distemper would be my guess.

Had a landowner point me to a skunk in a ditch and that one looked like it was on it's side doing circles and was biting the grass as it went around. My guess there was rabies the Vicious type. What got my attention was the State Vet said like 70% of the wild skunks carried the virus but only a small amount had the active symptoms of rabies.

She also stated that the virus is killed by drying conditions and exposure to sunlight, I dry and place all of my skunk skulls in the sun to dry them a bit and to kill the virus at the same time before I ship them. Plus nobody wants a box of skunk skull soup when the box arrives. LOL

Always consider that the brain holds the virus yes but the so does the brain stem so if your removing the skulls be careful with the brain stem also. Always wear gloves and don't touch your face with those gloves.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: Law Dog] #6433482
01/19/19 11:05 AM
01/19/19 11:05 AM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

I don't think the bounty is on the rats anyways so I guess I'm missing how the NR rules apply to the bounty thing really as it seems to ONLY apply to rats. I have yet to hear much about anything else but rats, rats and rats. I seemed to be the only one saying we have more then rats, rats, rats but that falls on deaf ears it always comes back to the rats.

Jerrry,

The non-resident Rules which mandate a December 1st start for non-residents applies to Raccoon as well as Rats.

Residents can target coon year-round but non-residents must wait until December 1st when most coon are holed up and in semi-hibernation.

That non-resident rule restricting out of staters until December 1st makes the contemplation of a Bounty on Coon even more ridiculous.

If the state is going to put a year round bounty on Coon then it only makes common sense to take the December 1st start date restriction off of non-residents to facilitate the timely harvest of more raccoon.

Leaving that restriction on non-residents just hampers the alleged goal of removal of these Pheasant nest predators.

So the non-resident restriction has everything to do with a bounty on coon.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 01/19/19 11:07 AM.

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: walleyed] #6433501
01/19/19 11:37 AM
01/19/19 11:37 AM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
Originally Posted by walleyed
I don't think the bounty is on the rats anyways so I guess I'm missing how the NR rules apply to the bounty thing really as it seems to ONLY apply to rats. I have yet to hear much about anything else but rats, rats and rats. I seemed to be the only one saying we have more then rats, rats, rats but that falls on deaf ears it always comes back to the rats.

Jerrry,

The non-resident Rules which mandate a December 1st start for non-residents applies to Raccoon as well as Rats.

Residents can target coon year-round but non-residents must wait until December 1st when most coon are holed up and in semi-hibernation.

That non-resident rule restricting out of staters until December 1st makes the contemplation of a Bounty on Coon even more ridiculous.

If the state is going to put a year round bounty on Coon then it only makes common sense to take the December 1st start date restriction off of non-residents to facilitate the timely harvest of more raccoon.

Leaving that restriction on non-residents just hampers the alleged goal of removal of these Pheasant nest predators.

So the non-resident restriction has everything to do with a bounty on coon.

w

you are right they are holed up... big bunches in old farm housed ,, old farm houses usually have big xxxx coon, hay stacks ,wood piles ect... best if ya have a hound to locate them. or a yag or hole dog to move em around....oops outta staters cant hunt coon with dogs here.

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread