No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464347
02/17/19 12:05 PM
02/17/19 12:05 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Why would I try to manage the weasel or mink population ( for example), ? I doubt my trapping them or not has little affect on their population.They are not a profitable fur resource here and likely will not be so in the future. It would be pointless.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464366
02/17/19 12:20 PM
02/17/19 12:20 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Years ago a local fur dealer told me it was all about the average. Sure a few exceptionally high furs can bring the average up, but he didn't think such outliers were common enough to have much effect, and he didn't pay for #3s.
I really only cared about what my total was when expenses were deducted, no profit-not much fun.

On the NAFA though, they throw out the #3 from the average, but, do they also exclude the TopLot from the average?

Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: tjm] #6464374
02/17/19 12:29 PM
02/17/19 12:29 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Originally Posted by tjm

On the NAFA though, they throw out the #3 from the average, but, do they also exclude the TopLot from the average?

Trevis, I think I remember that right, you are definitely one of those people who can see things from a different perspective. Always interesting to see what it will be. This one will make ya go, hmmm??? I'm curious now. I don't wanna throw out my top priced pelt and then figure my average. It doesn't look as good.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: tjm] #6464388
02/17/19 12:40 PM
02/17/19 12:40 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by tjm
Years ago a local fur dealer told me it was all about the average. Sure a few exceptionally high furs can bring the average up, but he didn't think such outliers were common enough to have much effect, and he didn't pay for #3s.
I really only cared about what my total was when expenses were deducted, no profit-not much fun.

I don't think having the( top lot 1-20 pelts or so )in the average effects the sales average much.

Last edited by Dirt; 02/17/19 12:42 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464392
02/17/19 12:41 PM
02/17/19 12:41 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
When I look at the auctions at NAFA, I skip the sales reports and go through the catalogs. I look at the sections that my fur falls in and the size range(if talking coon) and see what they were doing. Then i can make some decisions as to where to sell next or what to go for next season assuming things holds(which doesnt always last).

Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464397
02/17/19 12:48 PM
02/17/19 12:48 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by cfowler
Originally Posted by tjm

Trevis, I think I remember that right, you are definitely one of those people who can see things from a different perspective. Always interesting to see what it will be. This one will make ya go, hmmm??? I'm curious now. I don't wanna throw out my top priced pelt and then figure my average. It doesn't look as good.

They should include all in there average ,,, but I understand why they do not,,, in order to be fair apple to apple average it would need to be by region .
Because looking at coyote grades lately in the country for example the line between heavy and semi heavy is a blurry mess.
Good for the immediate year and (us the trapper) but not so good for market as a whole imo

Kenneth schoening
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464401
02/17/19 12:51 PM
02/17/19 12:51 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
In the boreal forest where I operate,the most valuable piece of real estate in the bush is the beaver pond.By managing the beaver at a healthy number you are benefitting all types of of other wildlife.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464419
02/17/19 01:10 PM
02/17/19 01:10 PM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
Being my first year of actually trapping I found my first experience rather informative. I am happy to brag (just a little ) that my five muskrats got into the high priced category. However I can not say fur trapping should ever be a final source of income. This god given green earth is a garden that must be cared and maintained. (I. Do believe our role is to be the gardeners. ) any who. We have a number of tools and resources at our disposal. The averages tell only what the ultimate demand of civilization is.

Last edited by Steelflight; 02/17/19 01:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread