No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: Mercer Lawing] #6463412
02/16/19 02:49 PM
02/16/19 02:49 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Mercer Lawing
Met him once when he came out and was the headliner at an AZ convention. Nice guy and very generous of him to come all the way out.

No question he likes to make money and once he saw in person all the cage traps I was selling and how the Western guys had figured out how to get bcats into cage traps it was only a matter of a few months that he had a cage trap for sale. Or associated with. The "NB" or Norm Brokwell. Don't know who that is but always assumed it was just invented that summer and never tested. Can't say for sure but it came out immediately following the AZ convention. Cant blame them just my pet peace to sell something before it's thouroughly tested and proven.

My hat is off to CL for making a living trapping and all the things he does for our trade. I just personally care for the salseman style. Perhaps because I don't have those abilities.

ML

Norm Blackwell. He is the guy that builds the trap.

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6463450
02/16/19 03:31 PM
02/16/19 03:31 PM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
bbrennan please point to precisely where I said his cages are inferior?

I said my pet peave was to take something straight from concept to retail. I feel it is a disservice to the trapper to rush something into production until it's proven and all the bugs worked out.

If your gonna sell a bobcat cage trap I think you should trap with them before you sell them. You cant do that if you went to a convention and then went home and drew up a cage and started selling them.

ML

Last edited by Mercer Lawing; 02/16/19 03:32 PM.
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6463453
02/16/19 03:33 PM
02/16/19 03:33 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
I take it Clint Locklear isn't a sponsor ? Lol

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6463457
02/16/19 03:43 PM
02/16/19 03:43 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Wheres my popcorn?

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: Wolfdog91] #6463465
02/16/19 03:55 PM
02/16/19 03:55 PM
Kansas
kansaskoons Offline
trapper
kansaskoons  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Clint’s a twig off the O’Gorman tree. Lots of people don’t like that, same reason some don’t like Jordan or Brady...now get the popcorn!

waiting on the buffaloe grass........
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6463491
02/16/19 04:37 PM
02/16/19 04:37 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I've seen that some trappers don't like other trappers that promote their business, which in the lure business means promoting the lures and promoting themselves. From a business perspective advertisement is business 101. Not to many people would invest in a company that wasnt going to promote their business , just wouldn't make since. Do you hate Chevy or Ford because they promote themselves? My hats of to the guys who have build a business solely on a good product and word of mouth but I think it's a little silly to not like it when another promotes his product or his business.

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6463572
02/16/19 07:01 PM
02/16/19 07:01 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
There is prerequisites to promoting lure, bait ,selves, or anything really.
1 track record factual
2do they do what is said
3and why these or anything getting sold (why do I need or want them)
And back to factual track records.
Can they do what is advertised.
In many cases snake oil ,,, many have one lure or bait standout.or a one hit wonder..
Business is business
Friends are friends if they mix great if not ok
Many mistakes made by many today,,,,, they buy a face or a name ,,,instead on the performance of said lure or bait or anything else.
This is not pointed at anyone,,,,, never met Clint locklear,,,,, shear numbers of people using his stuff has to be a testament of some kind???

Kenneth schoening
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6463583
02/16/19 07:15 PM
02/16/19 07:15 PM
Mich
B
bbrennan Offline
trapper
bbrennan  Offline
trapper
B

Mich
Mercer it sounded like you didn’t want anyone to come out with a cage trap to compete with you, maybe not! Norm Blackwell has an animal control business where he uses cages so maybe he tested them there. I don’t know the guy but it’s a cage trap that functions so I guess he wanted to sell some, it’s a very simple design that I have never seen before but I don’t use cages so I’m not an authority. Good or bad it is what it is and I don’t think he stole the idea so I say go for it!

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6463655
02/16/19 08:33 PM
02/16/19 08:33 PM
Kentucky
E
ebfarmer Offline
trapper
ebfarmer  Offline
trapper
E

Kentucky
I had good luck with simply mice this year.

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6464008
02/17/19 02:10 AM
02/17/19 02:10 AM
Punxsutawney, Pa.
M
MinkGuy Offline
trapper
MinkGuy  Offline
trapper
M

Punxsutawney, Pa.
One of the products I really liked from Clint are his " teachers of the Night" series. I really like studying the way the animals work the sets. To me this night footage is very beneficial.

DonP
Minktrapping.com
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6464025
02/17/19 03:39 AM
02/17/19 03:39 AM
North, MS
T
TrapperCarl78 Offline
trapper
TrapperCarl78  Offline
trapper
T

North, MS
Met him at our MS Fall Meeting last fall. Always have watched his vids, used his lures, and listened to trappingradio. He seems like a pretty grounded cat. Gave a good demo and explains things in a different way.

TC
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6464071
02/17/19 07:37 AM
02/17/19 07:37 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
I don't know the guy. I came across his stuff a couple weeks ago when I was searching for a trapping podcast. Didn't really care for him but I'll bet he's still a decent fellow.

With fur not fetching more money its understandable that some enterprising trappers have changed their target species to fellow trappers. Nothing wrong with that. No one is forcing anyone to buy their products. Just like I don't force my coons into my traps.

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: MinkGuy] #6464327
02/17/19 11:47 AM
02/17/19 11:47 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by MinkGuy
One of the products I really liked from Clint are his " teachers of the Night" series. I really like studying the way the animals work the sets. To me this night footage is very beneficial.

Well the only one I watched was The beaver one and I'm sure glad It was given to me. Any starting out beaver trapper would be bound to fail If he set like the flick depicted. Pure garbage In my way of thinking.
I will give credit when It's deserved and the camera work was great. But why not show and explain the right way of positioning traps and most of all why and where you place your lure. Who In their right mind places the lure In front of the trap.

If the other ones are like the beaver one I'd save my money.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6465410
02/18/19 10:54 AM
02/18/19 10:54 AM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
Clint served with 101 Airborne, I will be more than happy to stand with him any day, he makes a good product and video's. He was one of the first to fast rope out of a chopper. You are free not to like him, but most do not like people that have many miles on them or a lot of sand in their demeanor. I like Jeff D. also, he makes a good product also, along with good video's. I think both of them have done alot for the trapping industry promoting and being good representatives. So try walking in their shoes for a while. Mr O'Gorman had set a standard few can compete with setting an industry standard/benchmark for other to try to emulate. Never poke a bear less you are ready to skin it. There are a lot of good trappers out there and some are business men also: its still an industry that need not pick on its self. Good luck on your lines and in this off season enjoy ur videos, books and conventions. I will also enjoy memories of trappers I have met since the late 60's. Including C Dobbins and Mike Stecknicki, whom most of you have never heard off and some did not like him either.

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: Newt] #6465420
02/18/19 11:02 AM
02/18/19 11:02 AM
South MS
dublelung Offline
trapper
dublelung  Offline
trapper

South MS
Originally Posted by Newt
You will never realy know a trapper.Unless you Partner with him for a week or two.
Clint and I partnered for 6 weeks or more in the past.
I would do it again.
He is willing to learn. Thats a big point.In a partner.
He's willing to shaire his Knowage. I'm willing to learn. No man Knows it all.
Hard worker
Holds up his end,of the work of the day.
Fun to be around, we had many laughs.
Cindy was a great host. While we were using their home as a trapping camp.

Speaks volumes! ^^^
The first time I heard of him was in a video he and Newt did. I still have it on vhs and need to see about getting it on dvd.
I use a good bit of his bait/lure and have caught a lot of coyotes off it. Yes, he has a few crazy ideas and products but he's a businessman and a great trapper imo.

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: dublelung] #6465519
02/18/19 01:03 PM
02/18/19 01:03 PM
Punxsutawney, Pa.
M
MinkGuy Offline
trapper
MinkGuy  Offline
trapper
M

Punxsutawney, Pa.
I'm sure not bashing anyone that has formed opinion and expressed it here as everyone of us has faults. I spoke up for Clint as I would for most because he has many good qualities that I have seen and although I have not seen qualities I don't like in him I'm sure as with all of us you could find ways you'd prefer he was different.
I learned a while back that if you have real high expectations of everyone you meet or know you are going to become disappointed. I try to recognize the good in people for my own selfishness as this way I go through life with more friends than enemies.
The people who commented negatively may have been trying to help others so I'm not going to put them on an X list. No problem as everyone has the right to express their opinion.
Life is just much more enjoyable when you like people than when you don't. So try to find something good in everyone you meet. Clint has a lot of good and no matter your experience as a trapper I'll bet we all could learn a lot from him.
Oh and anyone that served in the Military, well they get me on their side until they really don't deserve it and anyone that jumped out of a helicopter for our nation, well they'd really have to screw up for me to bash them!

DonP
Minktrapping.com
Re: Clint Locklear [Re: MinkGuy] #6465521
02/18/19 01:08 PM
02/18/19 01:08 PM
Ohio
C
Cooncreek II Offline
trapper
Cooncreek II  Offline
trapper
C

Ohio
I'm sure not bashing anyone that has formed opinion and expressed it here as everyone of us has faults. I spoke up for Clint as I would for most because he has many good qualities that I have seen and although I have not seen qualities I don't like in him I'm sure as with all of us you could find ways you'd prefer he was different.
I learned a while back that if you have real high expectations of everyone you meet or know you are going to become disappointed. I try to recognize the good in people for my own selfishness as this way I go through life with more friends than enemies.
The people who commented negatively may have been trying to help others so I'm not going to put them on an X list. No problem as everyone has the right to express their opinion.
Life is just much more enjoyable when you like people than when you don't. So try to find something good in everyone you meet. Clint has a lot of good and no matter your experience as a trapper I'll bet we all could learn a lot from him.
Oh and anyone that served in the Military, well they get me on their side until they really don't deserve it and anyone that jumped out of a helicopter for our nation, well they'd really have to screw up for me to bash them!

Well said sir

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: MinkGuy] #6465560
02/18/19 02:08 PM
02/18/19 02:08 PM
Southern Indiana
H
Hoosier71 Offline
trapper
Hoosier71  Offline
trapper
H

Southern Indiana

One of the best posts I have read for a while. I am usually pretty cynical about people in general. Going to try to be better.

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6465565
02/18/19 02:28 PM
02/18/19 02:28 PM
tn
L
lestan101 Offline
trapper
lestan101  Offline
trapper
L

tn
I served in the 101st Airborne Division at the same time Clint was there. Different units he was infantry i was a combat engineer. I have spoke to him at some shows and compared notes with him. He was the real deal in the service. I've watched a lot of his trapping stuff. I take what I like from his advice and use what I want from it. He makes a living from trapping, that's more than many of us can say. We deployed to the same combat zones. I got nothing but respect for him.

Re: Clint Locklear [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6465720
02/18/19 06:22 PM
02/18/19 06:22 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
He ain't never done me no harm. I've watched some of his videos on youtube. Better than a lot of the trapping stuff on there. He seems like he's a good guy.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread