Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Cherry oil #6472127
02/24/19 02:37 PM
02/24/19 02:37 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Anyone use it for mink? Catalogs like F&T seem to list it for beaver, coon, and muskrat? I'm curious about mink.

Re: Cherry oil [Re: AJE] #6472151
02/24/19 02:59 PM
02/24/19 02:59 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Problem when using any scent is that it will attract a variety of animals. I blind trail set about 50% of my mink sets. I don't want any odor when doing that kind of trapping.

If I am working the water or ditches I am sure you could catch mink that will be investigating a hole or pocket type set that is lured with Cherry oil. Or some other type essential oil not commonly thought to be attractive to mink.

Then you don't know if the mink was just investigating another hole out of curiosity or was it the cherry scent odor. The curiosity factor as well as on location trap placement will catch a lot of critters.

Re: Cherry oil [Re: AJE] #6472245
02/24/19 04:39 PM
02/24/19 04:39 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The curiosity factor as well as on location trap placement will catch a lot of critters.

I wish more lure makers would tell trappers stuff like this instead of all the misinformation some put out in an attempt to sell more product. I can think of a few off the top of my head that would likely have sold a concoction of cocaine ethanol water and sugar out of a wagon, as a cure anything medicine, traveling around the country 150 years ago.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Cherry oil [Re: AJE] #6472281
02/24/19 05:28 PM
02/24/19 05:28 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I try to tell it like I see it or know it to be a fact. I have been at this a long time and seen lots of circumstances playing out on my lines over the years. I believe I can catch an animal on just about anything with an interesting odor if its in front of them with a bit of inviting eye appeal.

That being said I wouldn't want to depend on that one single odor to do it all for me either. I know better then that after all the testing and trapping I have done across the country. The higher the animal traffic and predator competition the easier and faster they come in most cases.

You get in front of them I could teach Grandma to catch them pretty quick if she had a mind too. I use to catch red and grey fox many years back on strawberry jam when I was a young fella. That was a shot in the dark that turned me into the loner that I am to this day on his own mission. That testing and experimenting began in the fall of 1959 as I recall.

Now look what happened to me. smile

Mom couldn't figure out for a little while where her homemade jam was going. I got a good talking too when dad found out.

Re: Cherry oil [Re: danny clifton] #6472846
02/25/19 07:22 AM
02/25/19 07:22 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by danny clifton
The curiosity factor as well as on location trap placement will catch a lot of critters.

I wish more lure makers would tell trappers stuff like this instead of all the misinformation some put out in an attempt to sell more product.

It's like watching the news, when you're told how to do basic common sense things on a daily basis like...temps in the 20's..."you're going to need a jacket if you plan on going out today"..or "it's going to be a hot one..drink lots of water". Not to far off from folks using magic powers that reside in little bottles that are a "MUST" in order to trap the animal you're after. Lots seem to follow and just go with the flow and not think for themselves or attempt to try/test things out to evaluate a bait/lure or ingredient..reasoning? It "works" for others "so it should work for me"?

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91