Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Trailing scents for coon [Re: Teacher] #6487731
03/11/19 09:08 AM
03/11/19 09:08 AM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
one rule for to live by on TS is never use something that taste bad . raccoons often lick their way in .if the scent taste bad they lose interest pretty quick. many synthetic ingredients smell good but taste bad .they will lick at one drop on a leaf so make it tasty.

Re: Trailing scents for coon [Re: Teacher] #6488136
03/11/19 07:00 PM
03/11/19 07:00 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
That is an important part of a trailing scent in my experience and testing. Many animals are lickers I found. You don't want to stall the animals behavior by giving them too much to sample. Subtle trace amounts in drops does the trick if they are responsive in nature to the material.

Re: Trailing scents for coon [Re: Teacher] #6490682
03/14/19 11:49 AM
03/14/19 11:49 AM
Iowa
C
cat4fish Offline
trapper
cat4fish  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Trailing scents don't have to be applied with a squirt dispenser . A rag or piece of fur on a string with your favorite scent. Just a friendly reminder !!

Re: Trailing scents for coon [Re: Teacher] #6491054
03/14/19 07:38 PM
03/14/19 07:38 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by Teacher
I’ve wondered about their value. Dribbling a line of fish oil or vegetable oil mixed with fish oil from a travel way to our traps may not be bringing them in. Recently I spoke with a trapper whose trail cam showed the coon concentrated their time on the trailing scent and never got to the DP. Darned those cameras are revealing!!

For those who use them, what do you think is happening? Are they good or are they actually pulling coon away from your sets?

And finally, would we be better off putting some sort of calling lure a couple feet above the set to create a second scent line in the wind?

Way over thinking it all. If you wanted to "trail" a coon to a trap, why not just set the trap where the "trail" is. In my opinion trailing scent traps more trappers than coon in a season. It is a distraction and coon don't need much to be distracted. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91